Dress codes on ship

I saw pictures of casual, informal and formal outfits for men and women on crystal.com to try to figure out what those terms mean to that cruise line. What I discovered was on "informal" nights, women wear dresses that cover the knees and men wear suits. For a "casual" night, the pictures show women wearing slacks and dressy shirts. Apparently I need to buy several dresses and can't wear the same clothes on board that I will wear in port. Has anybody seen women not wearing skirts and dresses on "informal" nights? I don't mind, just want to be clear on the exact specifications before shopping so I don't buy anything I won't need.

I saw pictures of casual, informal and formal outfits for men and women on crystal.com to try to figure out what those terms mean to that cruise line. What I discovered was on "informal" nights, women wear dresses that cover the knees and men wear suits. For a "casual" night, the pictures show women wearing slacks and dressy shirts. Apparently I need to buy several dresses and can't wear the same clothes on board that I will wear in port. Has anybody seen women not wearing skirts and dresses on "informal" nights? I don't mind, just want to be clear on the exact specifications before shopping so I don't buy anything I won't need.

I would have posted this on the Crstal board if you are asking about Crystal because you will find that informal nights vary by cruise line.

As to Crystal;

Men primarily wear a sport jacket, and dress pants and most men wear a buttoned down dress shirt. A tie is optional. Some men wear a tie. Very few wear a suit.

You are correct, women do not wear on a informal night what they might wear in port. Most women wear cocktail dresses and pant suits on informal night.

Again, by posting this question you may get a wide range of answers but some may not be specific to Crystal.

Keith

I don't know what specific cruise line you're on, but on all the cruises I've been on -- I'm a woman -- I've never worn a dress or skirt (I don't own any), and the clothes I wear on board are the same that I wear in port -- nicer linen slacks, sometimes silk trousers, dark cotten trousers in the evening; fancier blouses for evening, casual tops for day wear. Depending on the ports, I'll have a pair of jeans with me if I'm doing rougher excursions; otherwise the casual cotten trousers suit just fine. Presumably you're going on a warm weather cruise? Shorts usually can be worn on the ship during the day, but not in the dining room in the evenings, where you'd pull on long pants.

Otherwise, I don't have separate wardrobes for day, port, evening, etc. -- just a mix-and match of what I already own.

I don't know what specific cruise line you're on, but on all the cruises I've been on -- I'm a woman -- I've never worn a dress or skirt (I don't own any), and the clothes I wear on board are the same that I wear in port -- nicer linen slacks, sometimes silk trousers, dark cotten trousers in the evening; fancier blouses for evening, casual tops for day wear. Depending on the ports, I'll have a pair of jeans with me if I'm doing rougher excursions; otherwise the casual cotten trousers suit just fine. Presumably you're going on a warm weather cruise? Shorts usually can be worn on the ship during the day, but not in the dining room in the evenings, where you'd pull on long pants.

Otherwise, I don't have separate wardrobes for day, port, evening, etc. -- just a mix-and match of what I already own.

I'm sorry but the OP was asking about Crystal and our experience is what people tend to wear in port during the day is not what the will wear during the evening on Crystal on an informal night.

Yes, if the question was about casual there are some clothes that can be worn on casual nights that people might wear during the day at port but just some.

Again, the question was not about daytime on board the ship but at night and the question was about informal nights on board the Crystal ships. Once again, this is why I suggested it be posted on the Crystal board.

Keith

I'm sorry but the OP was asking about Crystal and our experience is what people tend to wear in port during the day is not what the will wear during the evening on Crystal on an informal night.

Yes, if the question was about casual there are some clothes that can be worn on casual nights that people might wear during the day at port but just some.

Again, the question was not about daytime on board the ship but at night and the question was about informal nights on board the Crystal ships. Once again, this is why I suggested it be posted on the Crystal board.

Keith

She already noted that at night "the pictures show women wearing SLACKS and dressy shirts" (which for a woman is SLACKS and a dressy blouse.) Which is exactly what I suggested. So what's your point?

My point is that the clothes that you mentioned are not appropriate on informal night on Crystal. They might be appropriate on some lines, but not others.

You began by saying that you don't know what cruise line the OP was sailing on when the OP clearly mentioned Crystal.

My point is that one needs to determine what the clothes recommendations are for the specific line they are sailing on because like most things they are not the same across all cruise lines.

Keith

I guess I'm happy we don't cruise on Crystal if everyone is that uptight.

The best place to post a question about clothes for a specific cruise line is on the board for that cruise line.

I guess I'm happy we don't cruise on Crystal if everyone is that uptight.

The best place to post a question about clothes for a specific cruise line is on the board for that cruise line.

No one is up tight.

As both I have said along with navybankteacher it is best for each person to become familiar with the attire for the cruise they are booked with since they do indeed vary by cruise line.

As to Crystal, here is the OP's question. I have placed Crystal in caps so

it will be easier to see.

I saw pictures of casual, informal and formal outfits for men and women on CRYSTAL.com to try to figure out what those terms mean to that cruise line. What I discovered was on "informal" nights, women wear dresses that cover the knees and men wear suits. For a "casual" night, the pictures show women wearing slacks and dressy shirts. Apparently I need to buy several dresses and can't wear the same clothes on board that I will wear in port. Has anybody seen women not wearing skirts and dresses on "informal" nights? I don't mind, just want to be clear on the exact specifications before shopping so I don't buy anything I won't need

Keith

I want to note that you referered to a picture of what women wear. Here is the writeup from the Crystal web site that states the recommended attire for the informal nights. This should help. It notes other items which I mentioned earlier such as a pant suit.

From the Crystal web site.

Informal attire is appropriate for most evenings on board. For ladies, this is evening cocktail dresses or pantsuits. Gentlemen wear suits or sport coats and slacks; ties are optional. Jeans, shorts, sport shirts and caps or baseball hats are not permitted in the dining room or our specialty restaurants after 6 pm.

Keith

I love your reply-we are first-time cruisers and I was just on the boards to ask this and one other question. Now I know what to pack-we are going on a 6/18 northbound RC cruisetour .

One more question: is there a washer & dryer that I might use while onboard?

Crystal is the only line that has three dress codes, formal, informal and casual. OP, if you're asking about a specific cruise line, you really need to post it on that line's board. Unless posters on this board have cruised Crystal, they probably won't know what the women wear for informal nights. Mass market lines have a very different look than Crystal, and this is not disparaging on the mass markets, it's just a different atmosphere.

OP, what you wear on a tour is definitely not appropriate for dinner on any night on Crystal. If that's what you're looking for, you might want to check a line that's more casual and where your touring clothes might be OK.

I love your reply-we are first-time cruisers and I was just on the boards to ask this and one other question. Now I know what to pack-we are going on a 6/18 northbound RC cruisetour .

You should post the question about the washers/dryers on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Critic board.

I can't stress enough going to the web site for your cruise line and reading about the recommended clothing attire. The reason I say this is that it varies by cruise line.

This is why I asked the OP from the get go on this thread to post the questions about dress code on the Crystal Cruises board since the OP was inquiring about Crystal.

Again, each cruise line has the information about their evening attire on their respective web sites.

Keith

Crystal is the only line that has three dress codes, formal, informal and casual. OP, if you're asking about a specific cruise line, you really need to post it on that line's board. Unless posters on this board have cruised Crystal, they probably won't know what the women wear for informal nights. Mass market lines have a very different look than Crystal, and this is not disparaging on the mass markets, it's just a different atmosphere.

OP, what you wear on a tour is definitely not appropriate for dinner on any night on Crystal. If that's what you're looking for, you might want to check a line that's more casual and where your touring clothes might be OK.

Darlene, I agree with all that you say except one item. Crystal is not the only cruise lone to have three sets of evening dress codes. For example, Silversea also has casual, informal and formal. On voyages greater than eight days, Seabourn has casual, elegant casual and black tie optional. Less than eight days they only have the first two.

Keith

No Royal Caribbean cruise ship has a passenger laundry. You have to send items out to be laundered.

Our RCI cruise also had formal, informal and casual nights. Passengers didn't seem to differentiate much between informal and casual though. IMO, many people just don't understand what those terms mean, so it helps to check the cruises website for recommended/prohibited attire.

I never wear dresses , even for formal nights.

For formal nights: I have a pair of dress silk pants with a beaded jacket. It does double duty for all formal nights.

Informal : a nice pair of dress slacks not silk and a nice top and a pashmina.

Everything I pack has to do double duty. I bring accessories to dress something up rather than bring another suit case of clothes.

I'm certain if you look through your closet you already have everything you need.

Our RCI cruise also had formal, informal and casual nights. Passengers didn't seem to differentiate much between informal and casual though. IMO, many people just don't understand what those terms mean, so it helps to check the cruises website for recommended/prohibited attire.

RCI doesn't really have informal, but what they call smart casual. Real informal requires a jacket and tie, but on all our RCI cruises, everyone just dressed the same for casual and smart casual, with no real difference.

RCI doesn't really have informal, but what they call smart casual. Real informal requires a jacket and tie, but on all our RCI cruises, everyone just dressed the same for casual and smart casual, with no real difference.

You know, thinking back, I think you are right--I just kind of converted 'smart casual' into 'informal' in my mind. It's kind of silly to me to have 'casual' and 'smart casual', since so many people don't really get the difference--or don't pay any attention.

I think using the word 'casual' confuses many people who equate casual with walking-the-dog, going-to-a-picnic or eating at Mickey D's type wear.

Archived