Escargot

thistle9

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

LOL, glad someone agrees, snails!! urk! However gotta say we do eat 'black' pudding in UK which has blood in it! Sure that would turn some people sick.. :-) but most red meat does what can I say.

I have read so many posts on which ship serves the best 'Escargot' and every time it makes me wretch. I cannot see how anyone could find a mollusc decent food. Apart from the French, these molluscs are only eaten by the poor of the world, and a very few places at that. They contain very little nutrients. The thought of picking up a SNAIL in my own garden, boiling it and eating it, ohh yuk! Escargot = garden/land snail, if some of you guys can't get it onboard, just check out your garden, I'm sure there will be a few crawling around. BTW where are the ships keeping the 'fresh' snails?

First of all, many Americans (and other nationalities) enjoy eating escargots; second, the escargots we eat are not the garden variety; third, if you don't know what you are talking about . . . don't say it! Here, again, is a thread that is useless... A lot of people like escargots; obviously, you don't and that is your choice. But everyone is entitled to their preferences don't you think?:(

there is nothing better than well prepared escargot. Yum! I have my best friend convinced to try it next cruise, and almost have my husband convinced. A little garlic butter, and they are amazing! This coming from a girl who squeals when she sees a bug.

Celebrity had it as a staple for every dinner in the MDR - and they were GREAT! As a matter of fact, it was often a better choice than some of the other appetizers. Unfortunately, Celebrity's food has dropped off dramatically since last time we sailed her. Which is too bad...

Celebrity had it as a staple for every dinner in the MDR - and they were GREAT! As a matter of fact, it was often a better choice than some of the other appetizers. Unfortunately, Celebrity's food has dropped off dramatically since last time we sailed her. Which is too bad...

This is sad to hear as we are contemplating a B2B on Celebrity for February 2011.

So, as an escargot virgin, I tried them for the first time on the Regent Mariner a couple of weeks ago.

Let me just say, I was very pleasantly surprised! I was expecting to possibly be turned off (I tend to dislike chewier proteins in general) -- instead, they were utterly tender, very flavorful, and not at all off-putting. I would choose them any day above, say, calamari, which I have not enjoyed no matter how well prepared.

To top it off, I was 12 weeks pregnant at the time. :D

It all depends on how they are made. Garlic & oil with spices is great. The good ones are not tough. They have a very good taste. RCI is the best.

Yes they are! We found them better than those on Celebrity!! Can't wait to have them again on our 11/7 12 night cruise on the Explorer! Thanks for reminding me. I think I may have a double order! I can skip a salad and soup! :-)

When I was on one of my first cruises I was introduced to escargo. I was thinking OMG, there is no way I would eat that. Well let me just tell ya'll...this is my favorite appetizer in the MDR, especially on Royal Caribbean. Yummy :p They are so delicious in that butter/garlic sauce.

This is what I love about a cruise...I will take the chance to try things that I would never pay to "try" in a restaurant. I discovered (to some of my table mates dismay) that I loved escargot...although I must admit...put just about anything in melted butter and garlic and I'm probably going to like it!!

I've never tried them, but I have tried frogs legs and been in plenty of places where people are eating snails. The thought puts me off so much I can't even try them, and even the scent of the garlic and parsley butter now makes me feel a bit queasy...! Fair play to people who enjoy them, I just can't.

I also like black pudding, but can eat very little of it before the thought of what I'm eating overwhelms me and I have to stop! It's all a bit psychological...

Crayfish are another one... I was fine until I saw someone pulling them out of the sewers and calling them 'the cockroach of the water'. They had a big tank of them in muddy water, and the sight of their tails thrashing up and down against each other in the mud... URGH! But I try not to think about it! :D

love them when prepared correctly. YUM. Ever tried it in a chinese restaurant with garlic black bean sauce? double YUM. just try not to analyze it too much. too much thinking will destroy the experience. just eat and enjoy. like raw oysters and chicken feet in spicy sauce at dim sum. don't think. just enjoy.

I got a plate of escargot on our cruise and I couldn't get pass the looks or thought of them. I felt bad about sending it back untouched and wasting it. Why couldn't I had just got one from the table beside me that was enjoying them instead of wasting a whole plate? :rolleyes:

DH loves them, but I can remember back to my childhood watching our downstairs neighbor cook them in a big pot. As they would crawl up the sides to avoid the boiling water, she would beat them down with a wooden spoon. Over 50 years later, I still can't bring myself to eat one.

I tried escargot for the first time on a RCI cruise and loved it. By the sound of it, I really didn't think I would like it, but i was feeling daring that night so I did and never looked back. For those that haven't tried it before, think of like a mushroom drowned in delicious garlicy butter. It's really good with some crusty bread to soak up some of the butter, mmm. Try it and you may be pleasantly surprised!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first escargots in Paris and loved them - since then I have ordered them every time that they appear in the MDR - Carnival and RCCL are excellent and I look forward to having more. The guide on one of my French tours was a "snail wrangler" in France and explained the whole process to me.

Archived