Facewear for over 50

Frassy

What would you ladies suggest for a woman (56) who wears foundation every day, but was thinking about something a little lighter for the cruise. Is there anything (other than a bronzer or something with very little coverage) to use that would cover up the flaws but not be as heavy as makeup? Something with an SPF not designed for 20-30 year olds? :confused:

I think the mineral make up is good at any age and its very light. I wore it on my last cruise and It never felt cakey or drippy and in the pictures my face looked smooth. I have freckles, so I like to try and hide those. Its suppose to have natural SPF (15) in it, but I just read an article that said not to trust just your spf to makeup.....always use a lotion underneath that has at least 30 spf in it.

I use Physicians formula, but I'm cheap, so paying $30 or more for the bare mineral make-up isn't something I can bring myself to do yet. But they show people of all ages using the Bare minerals.

I second Physicians formula sometimes CVS or Walgreens has buy one 1 get one free deals. And if you are into organic; their organic formula is also good.

Mineral makeup is the way to go. Its lightweight on skin. The trick to mineral makeup make sure you moisturize your face, then with sunscreen wait acouple minutes then put mineral makeup on. Its also TSA approved because its a powder. The more expensive like sheer cover and bare essentials has bismuth and it makes your skin look cakey and it won't breathe. Also Revlon and Loreal also have good mineral makeup.

Alrana

I second Physicians formula sometimes CVS or Walgreens has buy one 1 get one free deals. And if you are into organic; their organic formula is also good.

Mineral makeup is the way to go. Its lightweight on skin. The trick to mineral makeup make sure you moisturize your face, then with sunscreen wait acouple minutes then put mineral makeup on. Its also TSA approved because its a powder. The more expensive like sheer cover and bare essentials has bismuth and it makes your skin look cakey and it won't breathe. Also Revlon and Loreal also have good mineral makeup.

Alrana

Thanks for mentioning the lotion thing.......I so forgot to say that. It is very important to put lotion on first and let it dry. It will let the powder go on smoother and the powder "adheres" to the lotion and that's why it stays on so well.

Its like the old theatre make-up trick of taking a moist paper towel to the make-up on your face then brushing the powder on......its seals the make up so the powder doesn't melt off with the foundation.

I am also 56 and have tried and rejected the mineral makeup as being too dry looking, and I could also never get the right colors for my skintone. I have settled on MAC Mineralize Satinfinish. It has coverage without feeling like you're wearing a mask. My problem with the drugstore brands is that it's difficult to try the colors to get just the right foundation for my skintone. I always end up returning it. I do not live anywhere near a place where they sell the MAC products, but once I spent time with a MAC artist on a trip to a department store and discovered the right colors and formulations for my skin, it was very easy to reorder online.

CVS has a 100% money back guarantee on their make-up. So, if you go home and try something and its not the right color or doesn't feel good.....you can take it back and get your money back........just have your receipt!!!!

Also, make sure they still have this. I worked there straight out of college so about 5 years ago and about a year ago I did take a make up back that I had opened and tried and they took it back. But always double check that stuff.

This might help you "test" a few products without feeling like you are stuck with it if it doesn't work.

Mac lover too... On a cruise I use my own moisterizer that has the SPF that I want and I use a MAC powder bronzer. The key is to have a good set of brushes just as much as whatever minerals or bronzer that you choose. Did you guess, my brushes are MACs also.

I am also 56 and have tried and rejected the mineral makeup as being too dry looking, and I could also never get the right colors for my skintone. I have settled on MAC Mineralize Satinfinish. It has coverage without feeling like you're wearing a mask. My problem with the drugstore brands is that it's difficult to try the colors to get just the right foundation for my skintone. I always end up returning it. I do not live anywhere near a place where they sell the MAC products, but once I spent time with a MAC artist on a trip to a department store and discovered the right colors and formulations for my skin, it was very easy to reorder online.

It's dangerous for me to go into a MAC store, but that mineral foundation sounds good. I use the Studio Fix (which I like), but I might see if they have something lighter for the Summer.

If applied correctly, I've never found regular liquid foundation to be too "heavy or cakey"...the key is picking the right color for your skin and stipling it into your face with a sponge...that REALLY helps with the "cakey" look!

I'm not a big fan of foundation and don't wear it often, but I do have some tinted moisturizer with an SPF. It's by Philosophy and is called Supernatural.

Mineral makeup didn't work for me, either. I tried it a couple of times, it made my face flare up and took 2 days to calm down again. I tried Bare Essentuals...no more for me!

I also use tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. I've tried several brands and have been equally satisifed with all of them--from an inexpensive one bought at Walgreens to Lancome.

I use Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer. I have been using it for years and never wear foundation anymore. I am 56. It is expensive but lasts a long time because you only need to use a little. Its great stuff and comes in normal and oil free and in many colors.

I use the Laura Mercier Moisturizer cream with SPF15 as my summer moisturizer. Very lightweight!! From there, I just add a brush of color where I want. Right now, my new favorite is Benefit Hoola powder. It's a great light bronze. I can brush it on as heavy or as light as I want to, depending on my current tan. I used it this winter to help even out my "racoon tan" from working outside and constantly wearing either sunglasses or goggles.

There is also another mineral you can try - Peter Thomas Roth. It comes in a brush applicator, so it's easily packable in your purse. There are 3 shades to choose from. It's exclusively at Sephora right now. It sounds promising.

i have found that the last few cruises i started wearing mineral makeup for the day/ports/excursions and wear my other foundation for some more coverage at night when i am all dressed up...i prefer this and my face doesnt feel so heavy in the hot sun....always use my mositurizer too with spf.

I gave up the Bare Minerals also, at 56 I think my skin is just too dry.

So now I mix Laura Gellar foundation with her product called Liquid Candlelight in the palm of my hand then apply to my face. Of course I use Philosophy Hope in a Jar first, then I also apply Smashbox foundation primer before the actual foundation. It may sound like a lot but only seconds to apply and very light feel after. Never a heavy feel to my skin and it looks fresh all day.

Mary

I also use tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. I've tried several brands and have been equally satisifed with all of them--from an inexpensive one bought at Walgreens to Lancome.

That's kind'a what I was thinking...but does it cover/conceal enough?

I can not wear mineral make up, it looks really really really bad on me. For day time on a cruise or in port I weat Garnier SPF 15 Moisture stuff, but as thin as I can get it. At nigh I use Smash Box primer under my regular Elizabether Arden foundation. The primer keeps it in place in te humidity. Standard Arden powder blush, some Loreal mascara and I am done.

I am 51 and have for several years had very dry skin , there is only two make-ups I can use without getting dried and flaky skin (on the nose!) It is Sante which i cannt buy in Denmark from Germany ,and Translucent Make-up from Dr.Hauschka also German from Wala heilmittel . My skin looks natural and fine and I have some scares which doesnt look worse as with other makeups It is light and cover enough, if dark spots need more cover use YSL Touche eclat in the right tone under your eyes and on the spot (s).

• 2 weeks later...

Use the Bare Escentuals vitamins, eye rev-er upper, followed by your usual moisturizer and eye moisturizer on top. THEN put on your Bare Escentuals concealer and makeup...you'll be amazed. It's light, and it does not look powder-y unless you overuse the product. A light, thin coat is all you need.

There are several options that could work but IMO what would be best is the Mineral make-up like several people have suggested. The reason why some people say that it makes their skin look dry is because it is dry, their skin that is. What you should do is exfoliate your skin 1 to 3 times a week and the best thing to use is one with an alphahydroxy (sp) in it which is basically a citric acid, a good one is Good Skin Citra peel pads.

Otherwise a tinted moisturizer is good too. No need to buy a special one. Just add a little bit of your current liquid foundation to the palm of your hand with your face lotion and voila! instant tinted moisturizer!

Hope this helps!

Archived