FAQ says no non-alcoholic bevs to be brought on board

Somebody at Royal needs to proof read their site. If they are only prohibiting alcoholic beverages, then it makes sense for security to inspect water bottles and soda bottles in order to see if a passenger has tried to sneak any alcohol onboard. But, if non-alcoholic beverages are not allowed onboard either, then I don't see the point in security inspecting a water bottle or a soda bottle in the first place. If a non-alcoholic beeverage is prohibited, security would just confiscate the bottle, not inspect it.

Well, it's nothing new for RCI to have gobbledygook on their website. Whoever writes their stuff needs a lesson in basic sentence composition.

This new policy came into effect Jun 1.

Until it's actually in the cruise contract, I don't think they can enforce what's on the website, at least not without a big fuzzbuzz and another call from the FL Attorney General. Many people never look at it.

I understand the new policy went into effect June 1.

With that said, before this new policy, on the May 14 sailing of the Monarch I put a luggage tag on a case of bottled water (as I read it on here) and it went through with no problem. It was right outside my cabin door with my luggage later on the day.

With that said, I found the ships water to be just fine for drinking and wound up toting 12 bottles of that case off the ship in my luggage :o

As far as Im concerned, bottled water isnt worth the hassle. The ships water is fine to drink IMO. I would not be taking my own on board again even if they did allow it

Until it's actually in the cruise contract, I don't think they can enforce what's on the website, at least not without a big fuzzbuzz and another call from the FL Attorney General. Many people never look at it.

Well, it's now in the Guest Conduct Policy, so doesn't that mean it will be in the contracts issued going forward?

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic nor non-alcoholic beverages onboard and Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time."

Well, it's nothing new for RCI to have gobbledygook on their website. Whoever writes their stuff needs a lesson in basic sentence composition.

Ha, but here is the part that you missed. Where in the cruise contract does it say that you CAN bring non-alcoholic beverages aboard?;)

This is from the US website today:

< Back to Onboard Policies

Onboard Policies

Print This Page

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

Different rules due to different laws I figure (in general, not necessarily in regards to liquids on board)

This policy was posted in a picture frame at most bars on the Freedom when I sailed last month. It usually was setting on the bar in front of the cash registers. The "may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense" Policy was a topic of discussion several evenings at the Schooner Bar.

Dave

ships water to be just fine for drinking

Always wondered what the fuss was about bringing own water. The way they make the water on ships makes it about he best water you can drink. Yes, often warm from tap but ice in it, or own bottle put in ice helps that. Plenty of places to get cold water. About the last thing I would want to lug onboard (or smuggle) would be water. But I know some people are fussy about what they drink but personally I would mistrust the plastics a lot more than steam desalinated ship water that has had some minerals added back in for taste.

Policy was a topic of discussion several evenings at the Schooner Bar.

Wodering if it came up whether anyone, including bartenders, knew of anyone being put off due to policy (I know there have been) but more so the particular circumstances. Where is the line?

I don't worry about it, I will always take my caffeine free diet coke on board because they don't sell it. If they tell me they have to confiscate it I will ask them which would they prefer; letting my 4 cans onboard, or diverting the ship in the middle of the night (or possibly missing a port) to get me to a hospital cuz the ship's doctor can't (doesn't want to) deal with my heart palpitations

Are you saying that if security confiscated your caffeine free diet coke, you would knowingly drink a caffeinated non-diet beverage, being fully aware that it will cause you to have heart palpitations?:confused:

On LOS last week.

One suitcase had 2 bottles of BM mix, 5L box wine, and two rum runners. First piece of luggage delivered to the room.:) Probably lucky but everyone I talked with recevied their loot including soft drinks and cases of water.

The documents say no beverages at all are to be brought onboard. When you call the cruise line they also say not to bring it.

We went with a group for Memorial day and one of the couples had a cooler full of sodas and "bottled water". They asked the porters if they could take it onboard and they said yes to carry it on. They had no problems at all bringing it onboard. We all brought "bottled water" in our checked suitcases.... my hubby and I only a couple each but some of the couples brought 12. No one went to the "naughty room". :-)

Two years ago when we sailed Adventure we were returning to the ship in St. Thomas and security made my mother dump the can of soda that she was in the process of drinking before they let her back on the ship. How ridiculous was that?

I just bought 6 soda cards for the 6 people in our group. I still plan on bringing some Dr. Pepper and water bottles on board with us(I'll let ya know how it goes.) I figure it will be nice to have a can in our stateroom when I want a drink while getting ready for dinner after being on the beach all day, I won't have to stand in line to get a drink with my card. I assume you use the soda cards at dinner, in the bar and also room service?

Two years ago when we sailed Adventure we were returning to the ship in St. Thomas and security made my mother dump the can of soda that she was in the process of drinking before they let her back on the ship. How ridiculous was that?

Did she then go on the ship and drink another soda and get heart palpitations? :rolleyes:

hasnt this always been the case?

From the US webesite post-Jun 1:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

From the US webesite pre-Jun 1:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Diet Dr. Pepper is the only soda that I like. I usually bring 5 or 6 20 oz bottles in my luggage. I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying a soda card if they offered diet Dr. Pepper, even though I usually only drink one per day or less. I do have a problem buying a soda card to drink a soda that I don't really like. Guess I will try to take some DDP again on my September cruise and see what happens. It just doesn't seem fair not to let you bring on soda that they don't offer.

PS. Hubby prefers diet coke and he always buys a soda card.

I remember reading something similar before we went on indy in may but as it only says alcoholic beverages will be confiscated we took 6 bottles of water with us in my suitcase and had no problems at all, our luggage was at our room before we got there. We also bought bottles of water in ports and i showed them to the security and said its just water and never had any problems.

Hi,

Was on Mariner OTS last week. They had 'no alcohol' signs posted at check-in at San Pedro pier and appeared to be SERIOUSLY searching for it in screening. No more 2-wine-bottles for your stateroom. So the current ban appears real.

Happy Cruising

Not even going to read this thread to the end as the subject has been beat to death but if ya saw them searching means it was in their carry on luggage which even the porters will ask if you put it in your checked luggage as they will definitely catch it in your carry on, checked luggage well maybe...so if your bringing it on put it in your checked luggage not your carry on!

BonVoyage

Dawna

This should be good for a whole new round of smuggling threads.

Guess if you plan to baptize someone while aboard now the baptismal water has to be smuggled...:eek: Apple Juice for the baby...it sure could get ugly.

Guess you could smuggle apple juice in a foley cath bag...:eek:

Guess if you plan to baptize someone while aboard now the baptismal water has to be smuggled...:eek: Apple Juice for the baby...it sure could get ugly.

Guess you could smuggle apple juice in a foley cath bag...:eek:

Oh my, if you haven't just hit upon the ultimate method to get anyone's favorite liquid aboard a ship I don't know what is. This could bring RCI's search methods to a whole new level.:eek::eek::eek:

Hi:

I saw mouthwash mentioned in one or more posts in this thread. Can you imagine a ship of 2 or 3 thousand people who don't have mouthwash?

Man, we'll ALL be booking rooms with balconies for fresh air if that happens!

Richard.

Archived