Price increase

BoPippy

Just noticed this am on the Princess website our cruise went up approx;$210.00 Canadian and i was hoping for price reductions.Still have until April 2011 though.:eek:

Is this for all categories or just the category you booked? Most times supply and demand will raise the price of some category cabins, while dropping the price of others. But if the ship is selling well, the chance of a price reduction would be very minimal and there is a bigger chance the price will continue to cliimb instead of drop. Good luck though, you never know this early in the game as that is 10 months from now. Just keep checking!

Just noticed this am on the Princess website our cruise went up approx;$210.00 Canadian and i was hoping for price reductions.Still have until April 2011 though.:eek:

For our upcoming September cruise, the price went up $200 per person about 5 months ago for our cabin category. Then about 2 months ago the price went down lower than what we paid, so we called our TA for a price adjustment! :D We saved almost $1,000 for two people in a mini-suite on the Emerald Deck. Just keep checking, and if you see the price drop, call your TA (or Princess if you booked directly with them). Good Luck!

Our cruise went up $160 per person two days after I booked it. But it was after the final payment date, and prices tend to go up and down more rapidly.

All the obstructed view categories are now waitlisted.

I noticed that the past passenger special I was seeing for my cruise (3/13/2011) is gone as of today. It offered obstructed OV for price of IS and BAL (lowest level) for price of OV (highest level).

That's now gone and price increased considerably through all categories. My BB has gone up about 250pp.

I guess they are doing the 'raise prices right before a sale so with truth in adverstising laws they can make it look like you're saving a big amount' thing. Carnival does this and assuming other lines do too.

Is this for all categories or just the category you booked? Most times supply and demand will raise the price of some category cabins, while dropping the price of others. But if the ship is selling well, the chance of a price reduction would be very minimal and there is a bigger chance the price will continue to cliimb instead of drop. Good luck though, you never know this early in the game as that is 10 months from now. Just keep checking!

every category for the carribbean next year and even two 16 day Orient cruise for 2011 went up almost $400.00.If that is the case it probable is all cruises in Canadian pricing,maybe even USA pricing too with the dollar close to par.

We're booked on the Ruby in a BA cabin. We saw our cruise advertised as a special price last week and when I checked there were no BA cabins left, and the BB cabins are more expensive than we paid in January. Don't think there's any OBC now either.

After reading the previous post, I decided to check our bookings, 4 in all, between now and June 2011, all in category "BA", and they have gone up, anywhere from $150.00 to $250.00 CAD. From this I determine it wise to book early, as you can always correct the rate, if it is lowered.

Happy Cruising

Cato

catolga28@shaw.ca

This is not at all unusual. Just about every cruise I've taken on Princess, the price has gone up the closer it is to final payment. If you're looking for a last-minute bargain, you'll need to be flexible when it comes to date, ship, itinerary and cabin choice as most Princess cruises sell out before final payment. Heck, one cruise I was on two years ago sold out 18 months in advance. You could get a last-minute cabin because some people changed their plans but those who did paid a high price. Every now and then, a cruise doesn't but most Princess ships sail full most of the time. Which means that with demand high and availability low, Princess can command higher prices.

Our Emerald cruise in April 2011 went up to the original price we booked, 210.oo per person. In April of this year it went down and I called to receive the lower price. So for now we are still ahead. We have always had several price drops so not to worry.

This is not at all unusual. Just about every cruise I've taken on Princess, the price has gone up the closer it is to final payment. If you're looking for a last-minute bargain, you'll need to be flexible when it comes to date, ship, itinerary and cabin choice as most Princess cruises sell out before final payment. Heck, one cruise I was on two years ago sold out 18 months in advance. You could get a last-minute cabin because some people changed their plans but those who did paid a high price. Every now and then, a cruise doesn't but most Princess ships sail full most of the time. Which means that with demand high and availability low, Princess can command higher prices.

And to add a bit to pam's post, Princess overbooks many cruises and has to make offers to some passengers to move to a different date/and or ship. Even our Emerald princess sailing two weeks ago (after spring break) was oversold and they were offering the move over to some passengers.

MY cruise just went up $265 !!!! On May 28th--it was $265 LESS !!!! I was afraid to hold it--it was for a Dec. 28 sailing to Tahiti---and here it is June 1--and it went up!!! Shoot--I can't wait for their "sale"--it was actually a past guest rate, too--that I was quoted for 265 less. CRAP.

When I see a price Ibook. If the price goes up I don't get charged the new price but if it goes down princess will give me the new price. I can cancel with no charge so there is no gamble at all. Don't wait if you want a specific trip.

MY cruise just went up $265 !!!! On May 28th--it was $265 LESS !!!! I was afraid to hold it--it was for a Dec. 28 sailing to Tahiti---and here it is June 1--and it went up!!! Shoot--I can't wait for their "sale"--it was actually a past guest rate, too--that I was quoted for 265 less. CRAP.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will come back down for you.

We booked Alaska in August of 08 for July of 09. On New Year's Eve day, I was just goofing around and check the price of the cruise on the Princess website. I had come down over $600 pp. We were able to upgrade our room and still save a bundle. Princess was happy to refare us.

We happily spent that money on the ship, so Princess did not lose out on a penny.

Best of luck and keep checking!:)

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will come back down for you.

We booked Alaska in August of 08 for July of 09. On New Year's Eve day, I was just goofing around and check the price of the cruise on the Princess website. I had come down over $600 pp. We were able to upgrade our room and still save a bundle. Princess was happy to refare us.

We happily spent that money on the ship, so Princess did not lose out on a penny.

Best of luck and keep checking!:)

Thank you for your good wishes. I WILL keep a look out......I'm just surprised that they dropped the past guest thing so fast ! What makes me mad is that I had it a few days ago, and just figured that they'd have the past guest thing---oh well--me thinks that it will go down--they have to drive the price up to drop it down so that it will look like a sale--that's ok with me !!

I just don't understand raising the price so far in advance - 9, 11months out?And I don't believe for a minute that those cruises are really booking up? Not the standard 7 night Caribbean ones and not when I can pretend to do a booking and get prime cabins that book up first thing. Or plug in cabin #s at random and they are all available.

I really do think it's that they are going to Carnival's pricing/booking models. i.e. Raise the price; Have a sale that brings it down to normal; Make the customer think they are getting a good deal; Make the deposit non-refundable/non-transferable.

Will wait and see what they do and hope they don't start this Carnival nonsense.

At least I booked while the past guest offer was still on and am using a TA who discounts too. I like Princess and would like to stay with them. But even with all that, I'm have a hard time figuring out why I shouldn't change to a RCL ship that leaves same date and would save me a few hundred.

I just don't understand raising the price so far in advance - 9, 11months out?And I don't believe for a minute that those cruises are really booking up? Not the standard 7 night Caribbean ones and not when I can pretend to do a booking and get prime cabins that book up first thing. Or plug in cabin #s at random and they are all available.

I really do think it's that they are going to Carnival's pricing/booking models. i.e. Raise the price; Have a sale that brings it down to normal; Make the customer think they are getting a good deal; Make the deposit non-refundable/non-transferable.

Will wait and see what they do and hope they don't start this Carnival nonsense.

At least I booked while the past guest offer was still on and am using a TA who discounts too. I like Princess and would like to stay with them. But even with all that, I'm have a hard time figuring out why I shouldn't change to a RCL ship that leaves same date and would save me a few hundred.

Then why are you going with Princess? If RCL is cheaper and is what you want then you should go with them.:confused:

I noticed that the past passenger special I was seeing for my cruise (3/13/2011) is gone as of today. It offered obstructed OV for price of IS and BAL (lowest level) for price of OV (highest level).

That's now gone and price increased considerably through all categories. My BB has gone up about 250pp.

I guess they are doing the 'raise prices right before a sale so with truth in adverstising laws they can make it look like you're saving a big amount' thing. Carnival does this and assuming other lines do too.

I wouldn't be surprised. Last year after I had booked an oceanview cabin on the Ruby Princess Greek Isles cruise, Princess started advertising a "special" whereby you could book a balcony for the price of an oceanview cabin. I was pretty excited, as balconies were about $900 more than the OV categories when I booked.

Guess what -- Princess had simply raised the price of the OV rooms to the same price at which the balcony cabins were previously being booked. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised. Last year after I had booked an oceanview cabin on the Ruby Princess Greek Isles cruise, Princess started advertising a "special" whereby you could book a balcony for the price of an oceanview cabin. I was pretty excited, as balconies were about $900 more than the OV categories when I booked.

Guess what -- Princess had simply raised the price of the OV rooms to the same price at which the balcony cabins were previously being booked. :rolleyes:

:( Not nice!

Then why are you going with Princess? If RCL is cheaper and is what you want then you should go with them.:confused:

To quote myself...

At least I booked while the past guest offer was still on and am using a TA who discounts too. I like Princess and would like to stay with them.

I have lots of time decide. Have never cruised RCL before because Princess was ALWAYS the more reasonably priced cruise of the ones I was considering and offered a quality product. I've developed a loyalty toward their product. But to a point, I'm not going to be stupid about it. I'm just watching to see what changes Princess MIGHT be going through and if I need to reconsider choices.

Archived