Taste the Wonderful World of Oceania--new blog

WesW

Wes,

Thank you for posting this link

We have 3 cruises coming up on the Marina. It's been a very long time since we have been as excited about a cruise as we are about cruising on the Marina :D

Paul

...enlarge the shot of Bob Binder's ceremonial signature and notice the two signatures near Bob's, looks like Don and Betsy were also in attendance, congratulations to you both, must have been a fantastic time...!!

cheers,

the Imagineer

(busy planning our next O cruise to the Med)

• 2 months later...

Ido think it somewhat odd that in the dressing section, it states gentlemen only need to add a sportscoat for the Grand Dining Room. In my three Oceania cruises I don't recall seeing more than a handful of sportscoats in any one evening.

I've packed a blazer each cruise, but never had the occasion to wear it. I suppose I will take one on my Marina cruise, Rome to Miami, 11-23-11, but again probably won't wear it.

Ido think it somewhat odd that in the dressing section, it states gentlemen only need to add a sportscoat for the Grand Dining Room. In my three Oceania cruises I don't recall seeing more than a handful of sportscoats in any one evening.

I've packed a blazer each cruise, but never had the occasion to wear it. I suppose I will take one on my Marina cruise, Rome to Miami, 11-23-11, but again probably won't wear it.

So true. After our 3rd Oceania cruise I convinced my husband to leave the blazer in his closet at home rather than in the closet in the suite!:)

No jacket required but be advised that at least on Insignia they are pretty concerned about jeans in the DR. We were admonished more than once (different members of our group each time) that jeans are NOT ALLOWED. I have a conceptual problem with the difference between nice clean dark blue jeans and old baggy wrinkled chinos but I guess "them's the rules".

---------------

Helen

In reading her words I didn't see Oceania.

Citing the GDR as in "Gentlemen often need only add a sports jacket to be ready for the Grand Dining Room" implying that the jacket is the correct dress for that site seems odd to me. Made me wonder just how much real life experience the writer has had on board.

Her mention of "cocktail dresses" I also thought a little over the top. People do dress up a somewhat at Polo and Toscano but her words made it seem (to me anyway) that a "cocktail dress" was an expected costume at those locations.

If reading this had been my sole contact with Oceania culture I think I would have heavier luggage and an incorrect picture of that culture.

...I know they need them on Regent.

No longer required on Regent, either. Their dress code is now entirely elegant casual, which actually has the exact same definition as Oceania's Country Club Casual -- for me, long pants and a collared shirt in the evening. Regent sort of satisfied those traditionalists who fuss if there is no formal night by offering a few "formal optional" nights when there might be a better chance that someone else on the ship might also wear something a little more formal.

But, there is no longer a requirement for a sports coat in any venue on Regent.

In reading her words I didn't see Oceania.

Citing the GDR as in "Gentlemen often need only add a sports jacket to be ready for the Grand Dining Room" implying that the jacket is the correct dress for that site seems odd to me. Made me wonder just how much real life experience the writer has had on board.

My guess when I read it was a combination of her wishful thinking and experience on other cruise lines. I've never heard of her with regards to Oceania, and I personally think they're doing a poor job with the blog. There ought to be daily posts, there ought to be more pictures, more interviews and more hard news, there should be a LOT more about Marina. It doesn't have to be professionally written, but it has to be more up to date and more informative.

They're doing a better job with the Facebook page -- it's timely, fun, and suits the nature of Facebook.

• 4 weeks later...
No jacket required but be advised that at least on Insignia they are pretty concerned about jeans in the DR. We were admonished more than once (different members of our group each time) that jeans are NOT ALLOWED. I have a conceptual problem with the difference between nice clean dark blue jeans and old baggy wrinkled chinos but I guess "them's the rules".

---------------

Helen

Off topic but did want to reply to Helen........we agree whole heartedly! The difference between baggy and wrinkled chinos and nice dark blue jeans is that the jeans look better...in our humble opinions.

Archived