Coral/Island bump out design

O2B@Cagain

In researching a Panama Canal cruise, I have been reading about the various cabins and balcony configurations in and around the bump outs. Since these ships were designed for the canal, do these bumps have a purpose? The design sure makes chosing a stateroom difficult.

Not sure if the bump outs were done for any specific reason. What I do know is that the closer you are the the bump outs, the narrower the view. Also, the view is semi restricted on the Aloha deck due to the larger overhang. If you can get a room in the middle of the bump outs outside of the Aloha deck, those are not bad. Getting one on the bump outs appear to be not too bad either.

Tim

In researching a Panama Canal cruise, I have been reading about the various cabins and balcony configurations in and around the bump outs. Since these ships were designed for the canal, do these bumps have a purpose? The design sure makes choosing a stateroom difficult.

I think the rational for the bump-outs is due to the width limitation of the canal, the desired mix of balcony doubles versus mini-suites and the need for stairwells. The bump-outs provide the width needed to handle the stairwells. In the narrower sections the width is determined by the length of the two balcony cabins (including balcony), two hallways and one interior cabin.

Not sure if the bump outs were done for any specific reason. What I do know is that the closer you are the the bump outs, the narrower the view. Also, the view is semi restricted on the Aloha deck due to the larger overhang. If you can get a room in the middle of the bump outs outside of the Aloha deck, those are not bad. Getting one on the bump outs appear to be not too bad either.

Tim

Our Sept 2007 Alaska Cruise on the Island we had the corner bump out and the 2 cabins next to it on the Baja deck, B637,639 & 641 and it was great. I would re-book those cabins in a minute.

We had bump out corner B416 when we transited the Panama Canal. While it was great for viewing the Canal, it was almost unusable during a sea day especially a very windy sea day. We would choose a bump out corner again, but the one aft of the middle section instead of forward of the middle section.

I loved our middle bumpout room!! It was a minisuite with large balcony that was half-covered, half-open. No problem with wind since it's at the aft end of the middle bumpout and you could see from the front to the back of the ship and also straight down to the water (none of the non-bumpout rooms can see the front or back of the ship). And it was very private - no one looking at you when you're sitting out. It was D503. There's another one on the port side too. I would book it again in a heartbeat. :D

Thanks everyone! I have seen the mysite.verizon.net page and it was very helpful in telling which cabins were private, covered, etc. But I figured that the design itself must have something to do with keeping the ship slim enough to go through the locks, capnjack, just like you said. I absolutely must have a balcony, don't need a huge one, but a just-big-enough one.;)

I've been in D502 (Alaska) and C419 (Panama Canal) both on the Coral. Fantastic locations and the Caribe bump outs are fully covered (spent more time on that balcony than any other place on the ship. Would never hesitate to book one of these cabins.

Emerald cat BE veranda cabins at the stern get our vote for best standard verandas. Excellent view through the Canal locks, large, very private veranda, fully covered. Port side from E708 forward (they end about E624 if I remember right) are tops. Haven't done Alaska but have done Panama on Coral and Island multiple times - love those ships!

I have some pictures of our Caribe deck bumpout balcony on the Coral Princess on my website - http://www.websailor.org/Alaska_Cruise_2008/05122008/target51.html There are 3 pictures here.

And one other view - http://www.websailor.org/Alaska_Cruise_2008/05262008/target21.html

We loved it since it gave us a better view and was partially shaded. Given the amount of rain on the 1st week of our B2B, it was nice that it was partly covered also.

We made the mistake of telling our dinner table mates about some of the "interesting views" we were getting when looking down, so every dinner after that we had to give a "balcony sitings" report to them. :D

Had cabin A624 on the Island Princess 2 weeks ago on an Alaskan cruise and the balcony was greart. since it was the first in the bump out . It afforde us a 3/4 view of everything without obstruction. I thogh this would be great for a canal trip

Our Sept 2007 Alaska Cruise on the Island we had the corner bump out and the 2 cabins next to it on the Baja deck, B637,639 & 641 and it was great. I would re-book those cabins in a minute.

So glad to read that you liked B637 which is the cabin I booked on the Coral next month and didn't know how lucky I would be with the nice rounded balcony railing. I feel like I just got my own upgrade! :)

Thanks everyone for sharing the website. Who knew? Is this a great website or what??

I look at it more like the forward and aft sections are recessed to provide space for the lifeboats, rather than the middle being bumped out. The cabin decks are full width at the forward, middle and aft stairs and elevator areas, and recessed in between. They could have only recessed the deck with the lifeboats and made the upper decks even with the rest of the ship, but that probably would have added much more cost for no real gain, short of adding inside cabins to those decks.

Kirsten T:

Why do you say E708 forward? We've booked in E710 & 712 through the canal in February 2011. Wouldn't they have the same view as 708 and 706?

Barbara

2011 Princess Coral (Panama Canal) - upcoming

2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)

2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)

2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)

1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)

1993 Columbia River Cruise

1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)

1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)

1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)

1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

WE also had B439 for a Panama Canal cruise, and loved it. Right in the middle of the ship, and close to the elevators/stairs.

I would not want one of the forward facing bumpout cabins, such as B431, because the windiness when at sea when the ship is traveling at 20 knots or more. There would be no place to escape the wind while sitting on the balcony.

Colo Cruiser: No purpose to the design? I hope the ship's architect doesn't read that! ;) It must have a purpose because it has got to be much more expensive to build than straight sides.

Always a balance between form and function...

Colo Cruiser: No purpose to the design? I hope the ship's architect doesn't read that! ;) It must have a purpose because it has got to be much more expensive to build than straight sides.

Always a balance between form and function...

I agree, which is why I think it has to do with the lifeboats. If the sides weren`t recessed, then the lifeboats would cause the ships width to be too great for the Panama Canal. They may not directly interfere with the lock walls, but they might interfere with the mules or other apparatus on the shore. The Carnival Spirit class has a similar design.

Barb - only because the Universe lounge is underneath, so there's some chance of noise when they do production shows or parties down there. On the Panama itineraries, that was only 2 or 3 times, and we could hear only the bass end of the music very faintly in 710. The cabins from around 708 forward don't get any sound from the Universe, so I think they're slightly more desireab;e. But you'll love the cabins - head out back to the stern open deck during the transit for an awesome view! I'd take any of the stern end cat BEs in a heartbeat. Have a great time!

I agree, which is why I think it has to do with the lifeboats. If the sides weren`t recessed, then the lifeboats would cause the ships width to be too great for the Panama Canal. They may not directly interfere with the lock walls, but they might interfere with the mules or other apparatus on the shore. The Carnival Spirit class has a similar design.

The lifeboats are on Emerald deck and fit under the Dolphin deck balconies. The Dolphin deck is a constant width the entire length of the ship and the same width as the bump out section. Take a look at the deck plan. There is not enough room to have two interior cabins back to back in the center section. One interior double, two hallways, two balcony doubles, plus the depth of two balconies: that determines the width of recessed portion of the ship. The bump-outs accommodate the stairwells.

They could have made every deck match dolphin deck and be constant width but that would have resulted in far too many mini-suites and hardly any balcony doubles, or too much wasted non-revenue producing space in the middle section. Hence the bump-out design makes sense.

We had D501 right under the bump.Balcony is half open half covered which was GREAT.These rooms are 1 six inch wall from the most expensive suites on the ship. They are good size and have a good size balcony ,bigger than in cabins on the bumpout. Also the view is perfect and wind never a problem.Also being so near the stairway made it a quick trip down the stairs to the open promenade to get views and pictures of things on the other side of the ship.

Archived