9AM Flight too early for Summit??

poohb223

Does anyone know if the 9am flight from SJU is too early to book if we are docking in Old San Juan at 6am ont he Summit in November? We can book 11:30am but it is $150 more so we would prefer to take the 9am flight.

Does anyone know if the 9am flight from SJU is too early to book if we are docking in Old San Juan at 6am ont he Summit in November? We can book 11:30am but it is $150 more so we would prefer to take the 9am flight.

I'd say that would be a risk. Just because the ship is docked doesn't mean you can get off. The ship has to clear customs and immigration first. Sometimes that's a problem.

Way too early....please book the 11:30. To make a 9am flight, you

still have to be at the airport earlier than that and if there is even

a slight chance of the ship being late, held up for immigration, whatever

the reason, you will never make it. The later flight might be more $ but

to me its worth it rather to stress out at the end of a cruise over

catching something so early.

No way would I do a 9:00am flight. Very high chance to miss the flight and then you'd be out thousands trying to purchase last minute tickets and possibly a hotel room to boot if the rest of the flights are full that day. Also no insurance policy would cover you for such a narrow window.

There's a reason why that flight is less expensive and that's because the airlines know that cruise passengers can't make them in time. Just because a ship docks at 6 doesn't mean it will be ready for disembarking soon after. You probably won't be allowed to leave the ship until around 7:45 or 8, and that's only if everything goes right. And then you have the airport, which is insanely crowded with very long lines. You really need to book the later flight.

When we took a round trip cruise on Infinity out of San Juan, I know the airport was very crowded with long lines. It would have been near impossible to make a 0900 flight.

The last couple times I had to book air the difference was about $200 per person to go at 6:30 am as opposed to noon. So for about $60 I booked a hotel for the day and stayed an extra day to leave at 6:30 the next morning. Got to extend the day and do a little sightseeing around Ft. Lauderdale and saves about $340 that way.

You can be late getting off the ship for no particular reason. On Millenium in Vancouver last month we were schedule to disembark at 9:15. An hour later we finally got off and they were still unloading our luggage.

Archived