Are TA's Allowed to Discount Princess?

karinad

Wow ---- if you are booking direct with Princess you are paying too much for your cruise. I suggest contacting a good travel agent who discounts. You can save a lot of money --- especially on long, expensive cruises.

I agree!! We have never found a cheaper fare by direct booking with Princess.

There is always a better deal somewhere. ;)

As I said earlier some one has to help keep the Princess reservations clerks

their jobs and they are all very good to me:). Can assure you I am no fool and check pricing very carefully.

Love our little pricing chats though;)

As I said earlier some one has to help keep the Princess reservations clerks

their jobs and they are all very good to me:). Can assure you I am no fool and check pricing very carefully.

Love our little pricing chats though;)

I am delighted than you have been so well looked after by Princess's agents and feel that someone needs to keep them employed. However surely by now you must see that you are in the minority...almost any TA will can & will beat Princess price. Plus my TA is always there when I have a question or an issue arises...I really don't want to be dealing with a faceless voice in some call center in wherever.

:D:)

I am delighted than you have been so well looked after by Princess's agents and feel that someone needs to keep them employed. However surely by now you must see that you are in the minority...almost any TA will can & will beat Princess price. Plus my TA is always there when I have a question or an issue arises...I really don't want to be dealing with a faceless voice in some call center in wherever.

I am happy for you that you have a great TA

Should a TA be able to do a better discount then with a Past Passenger discount? I booked ours directly with Princess, and the price we got was cheaper then their price without our pp #.

Yes - a TA can discount any price that Princess quotes you (if they discount). You can transfer your booking to a TA and keep your cabin, etc... When you speak with an agent make sure you tell them you have an existing booking and want to transfer it to them (as opposed to them pricing out a new booking which may have a higher rate).

This is why it is sometimes confusing for people about rates. They often will check Princess (and use their email to login) and they will see prices that they qualify for. But when they check an online TA - they don't use their Captain Circle number to get a rate, so the rate they see is the rate that is good for everyone. You must give an agent your Captain Circle number (or phone number that is linked to your Captain Circle number) in order for them to have access to your past passenger numbers so that they can properly quote you. The rates should be the same (Princess should never be higher) and then if the agent discounts, you will receive a further discount and if the agent has group space, you can often qualify for that and receive other benefits such as OBC, etc...

I hope this helps.

Wow ---- if you are booking direct with Princess you are paying too much for your cruise. I suggest contacting a good travel agent who discounts. You can save a lot of money --- especially on long, expensive cruises.

I think it depends on when you book or the itinerary you wish to sail. I am a last minute or 2 day sale cruiser. All of my sailing have been 7 days to the Caribbean which is typically the least expensive itineraries. I don't really care what type of room or location I get because I am only there to sleep and shower. I have been able to get great bargains booking directly with Princess. I still check online sites and local agents to compare prices but I have never found anyone who could offer anything better. I actually called an agent I used in the past and offered my booking in exchange for a bottle of wine. She thanked me for thinking of her but told me that I got a great deal through Princess. Now if you are booking a year out or when Princess first releases the itinerary I believe you would do better with a TA than with Princess.

Yes - a TA can discount any price that Princess quotes you (if they discount). You can transfer your booking to a TA and keep your cabin, etc... When you speak with an agent make sure you tell them you have an existing booking and want to transfer it to them (as opposed to them pricing out a new booking which may have a higher rate).

This is why it is sometimes confusing for people about rates. They often will check Princess (and use their email to login) and they will see prices that they qualify for. But when they check an online TA - they don't use their Captain Circle number to get a rate, so the rate they see is the rate that is good for everyone. You must give an agent your Captain Circle number (or phone number that is linked to your Captain Circle number) in order for them to have access to your past passenger numbers so that they can properly quote you. The rates should be the same (Princess should never be higher) and then if the agent discounts, you will receive a further discount and if the agent has group space, you can often qualify for that and receive other benefits such as OBC, etc...

I hope this helps.

"The rates should be the same (Princess should never be higher)" Is this really what you meant to say? I would think under your example Princess should never be lower?

"The rates should be the same (Princess should never be higher)" Is this really what you meant to say? I would think under your example Princess should never be lower?

Yes - you are right. I didn't mean to say that. I meant "princess should never be lower". It was 6 am - sorry :)

I think it depends on when you book or the itinerary you wish to sail. I am a last minute or 2 day sale cruiser. All of my sailing have been 7 days to the Caribbean which is typically the least expensive itineraries. I don't really care what type of room or location I get because I am only there to sleep and shower. I have been able to get great bargains booking directly with Princess. I still check online sites and local agents to compare prices but I have never found anyone who could offer anything better. I actually called an agent I used in the past and offered my booking in exchange for a bottle of wine. She thanked me for thinking of her but told me that I got a great deal through Princess. Now if you are booking a year out or when Princess first releases the itinerary I believe you would do better with a TA than with Princess.

I am a last minute cruiser also and my agent still beats any price Princess gives me. The key is that they have to run your Captain Circle Number. If you just look at online websites, you will not see all the prices that you are entitled to.

I'm so sorry. That must have been hard.

Thank you! It is so hard! I'm still trying to figure out how to get through the days. It seems like it was yesterday. I'm just so thankful to be able to come here to be in a happy place.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Coral! Thanks also for your sympathy!

Yes, the one yr. my sister and her dh were travelling with us on a Princess cruise. We were both pp but my price was lower then their's. I think I had just become a Platinum member with that cruise. The price was considerably lower for me. I had one agent that told me that that wasn't true. She said that all PP discounts were the same. Needless to say, I didn't use that agent.

I am a last minute cruiser also and my agent still beats any price Princess gives me. The key is that they have to run your Captain Circle Number. If you just look at online websites, you will not see all the prices that you are entitled to.

They do run my number and I get the same price that I booked with Princess. They can sometimes offer me an upgrade for the cruise that is better than the price from Princess but I don't want to pay more. I am just looking for a token for my booking. I am not going to go through the trouble of faxing Princess a letter stating that I would like to transfer my booking to a TA for nothing in return. I did all the work and if they aren't getting enough of a commission to offer a bottle of wine then I think I got a pretty good price. Also I don't know where some of these online TA's get these brochure prices from. Often they list the brochure higher than what I see on Princess. The only thing that I can conclude from this is that is they are listing the brochure price of a higher category stateroom and selling you lower category for the same type of stateroom which would make it appear that you are saving a larger %.

i did ask a big TA agency in Vancouver if they had any group or special rates for my long cruise this year..........Their answer you will do much better with Princess and your past passenger discounts.

Personally I feel through questioning many and agencies it is the TA that has a very large cruise clientèle that can afford to bargain with Princess for group rates .Plus a very big asset through having so many customers can afford to give back a little commission.Now those can not be many.On the other hand one wonders how they can combine superior customer service with so many wonting their services.

Personally Princess does treat me very well and I feel very comfortable dealing wih them direct.

They do run my number and I get the same price that I booked with Princess. They can sometimes offer me an upgrade for the cruise that is better than the price from Princess but I don't want to pay more. I am just looking for a token for my booking.

I think you are checking with the wrong agencies. I know several travel agents personally who will discount any rate princess gives (unless it is a one nighter and there is almost no commission). I just got an email for an Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks and spoke with my agent and she could beat the last minute email from Princess which had a pretty darn good rate. Unfortunately, air was higher then I was willing to pay so I won't be cruising this month.

i did ask a big TA agency in Vancouver if they had any group or special rates for my long cruise this year..........Their answer you will do much better with Princess and your past passenger discounts.

Personally I feel through questioning many and agencies it is the TA that has a very large cruise clientèle that can afford to bargain with Princess for group rates .Plus a very big asset through having so many customers can afford to give back a little commission.Now those can not be many.On the other hand one wonders how they can combine superior customer service with so many wonting their services.

Personally Princess does treat me very well and I feel very comfortable dealing wih them direct.

If you want to pay more for your cruises that is fine. More power to you. Some of us like to save money.

BTW - there are some group rates that are way better then past passenger rates. Sometimes they are not but on some of the transatlantics, they seemed almost half price. This is why it is good to have an agent who can look at several possibilities. If you book direct with Princess on a few of those transatlantics, you may be paying almost double.

I had one agent that told me that that wasn't true. She said that all PP discounts were the same. Needless to say, I didn't use that agent.
Actually it is true that all Past Passenger rates are the same (ratecode PA1 or PA2), but Princess is also very aggressive in targeted offers, where a select group of past passengers get a special rate, though it isn't the official past passenger rate.

My traveling buddies who are gold and platinum actually get better offers than I do as an Elite - I think it's because Princess knows I'm likely to show up anyway, regardless of whether I'm saving $100 or not. :D

Actually it is true that all Past Passenger rates are the same (ratecode PA1 or PA2), but Princess is also very aggressive in targeted offers, where a select group of past passengers get a special rate, though it isn't the official past passenger rate.

My traveling buddies who are gold and platinum actually get better offers than I do as an Elite - I think it's because Princess knows I'm likely to show up anyway, regardless of whether I'm saving $100 or not. :D

I have also found that if you have a cruise booked, you get less offers. For example - there are 2 people in my house hold. I have booked 2 Alaska cruises for next year in just my name. Well - the other person in the house hold (also elite) is getting last minute specials that I am not getting them. Both elite, both same house hold - 2 different prices unless we are on the same booking and then they go with the lowest rate.

I should also add that there are regional discounts also depending on where you live. They may be giving those folks in Arizona a better rate than those in Colorado.

I knew of 3 different couples who booked with the same TA last year for Alaska. All 3 couples qualified for different rates for the same category with the newest couple getting the best rate (who had been in their system previously but had never cruised). Go figure.

The Captain Circle number definitely plays a huge part in your rate. This is why it is so important to make sure that is used when getting a quote.

Regarding the OPs question, as others have said, for the time being Princess still allows travel agents to discount. There is a gradual move in the industry to prohibiting pre-sail discounts, and moving towards post-sail rebates or on-board credits.

As a TA I'm torn - I really want to be able to offer my clients the best possible rate, but at the same time I can't always compete with the largest agencies whose commission rate is almost double what our agency gets. But, unlike other agents, I can't vilify these folks as a bunch of faceless call centers, because there are plenty of good agents who use these firms as a host agency to deliver both good service and a great price. If I can't always match the price, I just have to go all out on the service, and create groups for OBCs and upgrades whenever possible.

But if price is the number one concern, Coral and others are correct - look for a good agent associated with a large cruise agency who offers discounting. You will get the best rate, and, if you find the right agent, your service will be good too.

Just curious though, for those of you who are taking advantage of discounting, what kind of percentage discount are you usually seeing? 5%, 10%?

A few yrs. back, when I used to use the phone alot instead of the internet, I talked to an TA after I got a Princess 2 for 1 flyer in the mail. She said that their rates that they got from Princess were usually always better then those offers. And it was at that time. That also included the past passenger rates.

Does anyone find that they do get better rates when calling instead of using the internet?

Just curious though, for those of you who are taking advantage of discounting, what kind of percentage discount are you usually seeing? 5%, 10%?

In our most recent booking, we saved just over 12% in price, plus we received OBC that would raise the percentage save to 18%. And it saved me so much time... totally worth it!:)

A few yrs. back, when I used to use the phone alot instead of the internet, I talked to an TA after I got a Princess 2 for 1 flyer in the mail. She said that their rates that they got from Princess were usually always better then those offers. And it was at that time. That also included the past passenger rates.

Does anyone find that they do get better rates when calling instead of using the internet?

Yes get better rates phoning in.There again I book in USD so have to having access to the Canadian Princess site only..........Even then going by exchange rate I still get better rates.

Also although I have two long cruises booked I still am getting last minute deals from Princess every week. This could be because I book direct....Others would be sent to TA's.

Regarding the OPs question, as others have said, for the time being Princess still allows travel agents to discount. There is a gradual move in the industry to prohibiting pre-sail discounts, and moving towards post-sail rebates or on-board credits.

As a TA I'm torn - I really want to be able to offer my clients the best possible rate, but at the same time I can't always compete with the largest agencies whose commission rate is almost double what our agency gets. But, unlike other agents, I can't vilify these folks as a bunch of faceless call centers, because there are plenty of good agents who use these firms as a host agency to deliver both good service and a great price. If I can't always match the price, I just have to go all out on the service, and create groups for OBCs and upgrades whenever possible.

But if price is the number one concern, Coral and others are correct - look for a good agent associated with a large cruise agency who offers discounting. You will get the best rate, and, if you find the right agent, your service will be good too.

Buddy, on our upcoming AK cruise the rate is about 18% with a small OBC category PH.

Mike

Ok, I just made a phone call to a popular Cruise TA. My 10 day caribbean cruise is booked with Princess. With my CC # signed in my rate for 2 for a BG guarentee is $2272. roughly with my $200. OBC for having the OBB credit. The TA gave me the rate of $2066.03 with another $85.00 OBC. The charge a one time $15.00.

Saving another $285.00 is very significant to us. I think I'll call a few more agencies.;)

Ok, I just made a phone call to a popular Cruise TA. My 10 day caribbean cruise is booked with Princess. With my CC # signed in my rate for 2 for a BG guarentee is $2272. roughly with my $200. OBC for having the OBB credit. The TA gave me the rate of $2066.03 with another $85.00 OBC. The charge a one time $15.00.

Saving another $285.00 is very significant to us. I think I'll call a few more agencies.;)

Glad that is working for you. Love to save money!!!!:)

Archived