Which cruise line is the best??

StlCruisingFool

We have a disney cruise schedule for July 2011 for Alaska. We are strongly thinking about cancelling our Disney Alaska cruise and choosing another cruiseline. We have it narrowed down to Holland America and Princess Cruiselines. Our goals are to see some glaciers and Whales, but I also have to cater to the children so I'm not sure which cruise line would be better for kids. So I'm asking for recommendations. If there is another better than the above two please let me know. Thanks.

...I think you would be better to stick with Disney..why are you considering a change....:confused:

Disney is only doing Tracy Arm for their "glacier" experience and many times there is too much ice to get close to the glaciers. With glaciers as a priority, the OP is smart to look at cruises that go to either Glacier Bay or the Hubbard Glacier.

I was on the HAL Oosterdam last week and there were many more children than we had on the Island Princess in 2008 - so don't let anyone tell you there won't be children on HAL.:)

We were very satisfied with Princess on our 12 day European, and will be doing Princess again. No it ain't the Mouse and has no wave runner, climbing wall, bowling alley, skating rink. But it does have age approparte and seperated kids club that seemed decent enough, teen club area with games/computers and age appropriate activities. My younger one loved it, my older two less so, but they were never into that stuff :confused:

I guess you need to decide what you want to do beach/fun for kids and you.. or Alaska and scenic/wildlife/ice for parents first than kids.

HAL and Princess seem to have the most and best sailings, but I see Carnival and RCCL too, but they aren't sailing their "big" ships I think nor have the varied dates and schedules that Princess and Hal own.

Personally for us its about the destinations more than the boat. All the boats we've been on seem good enough for the basics. Of course no characters, theme'd resturants, shows, movies, nor the mouse but also what 25-40% cheaper too :D

Tracy Arm is clearly not as good as some of the other glacier cruising, but if they offer the small boat cruise from the ship or Juneau you can get as close maybe more close then some of the other places. Search webshots or flickr for tracy arm and you'll find some shots of the smaller boat tours that get close. IMHO don't take a cruise because its Disney and come to regret it years later because you missed Glacier Bay, Hubbard, etc.

Happy planning!

We have a disney cruise schedule for July 2011 for Alaska. We are strongly thinking about cancelling our Disney Alaska cruise and choosing another cruiseline. We have it narrowed down to Holland America and Princess Cruiselines. Our goals are to see some glaciers and Whales, but I also have to cater to the children so I'm not sure which cruise line would be better for kids. So I'm asking for recommendations. If there is another better than the above two please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry for my above post..it sounded like you were wanting a Disney experience again...We sailed on RCI Radiance northbound..and loved it..Good luck with whatever you decide will be best for your family....

I would go with Princess. Like HAL, Princess has been sailing Alaska longer than most other cruise lines but on top of this Princess has a very good children's program. So, I think they would be better for the entire family.

Keith

HAL and Princess are our two favorite cruise lines for Alaska. Royal Caribbean is another good choice, but does not go to Glacier Bay, which I would absolutely recommend for first time Alaska cruisers.

HAL is working very hard to shed its "old folks" image and has absolutely fabulous kids rooms on its newer ships. Like the poster above, we were just on Oosterdam. There were 200 kids on our ship, and on a couple of occasions we saw them out and about the ship with their counselors having a ball!

Princess has a great reputation for kids programs and will also be a great place for the kids.

You can't miss with either of these lines.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have had my Alaska Cruise guide on my desk for nearly 6 years now and avidly turning over every stone for the last three years with the hopes of making my dream a reality. My favorite 7-day roundtrip itinerary: HAL's Zuiderdam Inside Passage r/t from Vancouver. The bonuses of this trip : Inside Passage (a great deal less rocky trip as reported by other cruisers), fantabulous scenery on both sides of the ship, goes to both Tracey Arm and Glacier Bay (most ships don't make it all the way to the glaciers in Tracey Arm due to ice).

I have also read by and large that HAL has the most comfortable beds at sea.

They have real coffee and fresh squeezed oj (important to me!) Also, anyone can order full room service from the restaurant menus. I have found with other lines, that room service is a limited menu unless you are in a suite.

And last, but definitely not least, aft suite verandas like this: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2035660000100985637FwBVeg

and that is the lowest level of deluxe suites. I have read increasing reports of people being extremely satisfied with their children's programs as well.

Second favorite: Golden Princess sailing from Vancouver, ONLY the first sailing of the year leaves from Vancouver, all other sailings for the Golden princess leave from Seattle for the remainder of the year. Positives, lovely itinerary as well, goes to GLacier Bay, goes on the inside of Vancouver Island (less rocky trip). This itinerary returns to Seattle. Beautiful ship. Negatives (imo): much more cruisers on this ship, smaller rooms, even smaller bathrooms. Instant coffee, not fresh brewed unless you go to the coffee shop, and limited room service menu unless you are in a suite. Also, their balconies are kinda small, imo.

Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely looking cruise, but these are the pos/neg things I see IN MY OPINION. Feel free to contradict me, I love to hear other peoples opinions (contrary to me, I am not always right). :P

Anyway, good luck, safe travels, and let us know which cruise you choose! :)

A lot us a wondering how Disney will make out in Alaska without a covered pool....and than with children would be a real asset. As you seem to leaning towards a 7 day return of Vancouver, Princess does not offer such an itinerary so of the two lines that you are considering that leaves only HAL.

Oceania is traveling Alaska in 2011.

Not for children.

You might want to look at them too.

We are booked on Oceania's Regatta sailing from Vancouver 17 June 2011. Twelve days ending in Anchorage via Cooks Inlet. We have sailed on Oceania before and love the ships size, casual dress and ambiance. Not stuffy, great staff and friendly pax, wonderful food, low key entertainment. Not good for children but all others would be pleased with the cruise line.

Jill

I was looking at 2011 for a friend to go RT and this is what I summarized for a trip in summer (July, Aug)... (Did I miss any?)

These are the 7 day cruises I have found for RT Seattle or Vancouver that have either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glaciers...

Most go to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan on the RT cruises unless otherwise noted.

RT Vancouver -> More scenic inside passage route on first day (also calmer waters). You do give up a little port time for cruise/view time.

- * HAL Zuiderdam/Volendam (same itinerary) - Glacier Bay & Tracey Arm (late 2:30 arrival in Juneau)

- Celebrity Century - Hubbard (Icy Strait instead of Skagway)(late 2p arrival in Ketchikan & 3pm arrival in Icy Strait)

- Oceania Regatta - Hubbard (10 day, no kids program, more expensive)

RT Seattle -> Easier/Cheaper to get to SEA, some nice itineraries. HAL ships go to Sitka instead of Skagway.

- HAL Westerdam - Hubbard - (Sitka instead of Skagway)

- *HAL Oosterdam - Glacier Bay - (Sitka instead of Skagway)

- NCL Pearl - Glacier Bay (late 2pm arrival in Juneau)

- Golden Princess - Glacier Bay

* - Cruise that looks the best in each category .

I chose cruises that had port times that were more weighted toward a Morning arrival. It is nice to do separate things during the day and getting together at dinner and talking about them as a large family. We like more of a morning port arrival for or our family as well we are more a do things in the morning and go to bed somewhat normal time with the kids. If this assumption doesn't work for your group then you might make different choices.

Itinerary Data...

*Zuiderdam- Inside Passage x2, Tracey Arm, GB

Juneau 2:30p-10:30

Skagway 7a-9p

Ketchikan 10a-6p

Century - Inside Passage x2, Hubbard

Icy Strait 3p-10p

Juneau 7:30a-8p

Ketchikan 2p-8:30p

Pearl - GB

Juneau 2p-10p

Sagway 7a-8p

Ketchikan 6a-1:30p

Victoria 6p-12p

Westerdam - Hubbard

Juneau 12-9p

Sitka 8a-5p

Ketchikan 7a-1p

Victoria 6p-12p

*Oosterdam - GB

Juneau 7a-8p

Sitka 8a-5p

Ketchikan 7a-1p

Victoria 6p-12p

Golden Princess - GB

Juneau 12p-10p

Skagway 6a-8p

Ketchikan 7a-12:30p

Victoria 7p-12p

BUT I really like this one way trip that does both Hubbard and Glacier Bay..

*Diamond Princess -Hubbard, GB, Inside Passage?

Skagway 7a-8:30p

Juneau 6:30a-4p

Ketchikan 10a-6p

Archived