Signatures- Time for a rethink?

adoctor

Just returned from the Black Sea on Mariner.Overall food was as good as I remember it from a previous trip To Alaska in 2008 and Compass Rose was in good form.However am I alone in thinking that Signatures has become passe?

It reminds me of french restaurants in New York(and other cities) in the 1980's,You know the kind of thing.A maitre D welcommes you in a heavy parisian accent (actually he's from Nebraska),the menu is in an unintelligable type face and in poor french.The portion size is tiny the very opposite of the check total.

On this trip our one visit to signatures was really disappointing.Expectation was high and the fine dining concept heightens expectation.It would be unrealistic to expect Michelin star cooking but this is just where the concept leads you.The food arrives and we have the pretentious spectacle of the silver dome lifting ceromony accompanied by the parrot like rendition of une,deux, trois-Voila! Just embarassing.

Desserts should be a high spot.A Tarte Tatin was listed; a great french classic.The combination of the pastry ,ripe fruit ,the caramalised taste was expected and anticipated.No it was a cold very ordinary flan dish not worthy of a fuller description.The only explanation was "thats the way we serve it".Equally a Risotto should have a great depth of flavour and that delicious creamy texture but Signatures failed to deliver on either count.

Really Regent time to ditch this outdated idea and create a concept that you can deliver.

In complete contrast was the classic American Steak House concept.Very popular(reservations an arm wrestle) .Simple, classic concept and most importantly the food matched the concept.The sourcing, presentation and taste of the Beef was quite outstanding.

Oh well just off to my local fast food joint.Une, deux, trois- Voila!

I certainly agree re: abolishing the 'un,deux,trois'.....Although I have experienced the simultaneos lifting of lids in Michelin type restaurants, I have never 'heard' such a theatrical presentation. I like the concept of Signatures as an upscale French influenced boutique restaurant. However, that is not what the are executing. The menu is uninspiring, inconsistently prepared and behind the curve for modern French or Continental cuisine which, thankfully, is still alive in NYC. It would be interesting to see what the effect of consultation with Jean George or Daniel Boulud would bring. Another route would be to become a french bistro where items such as tart tatin would be more at home...but again, I like the basic 'upscale' concept.

Prime 7 has become a success but its meat quality & preparation is not consistent either and the total product is not equal to many upscale stateside prime steak houses. I like it too however.

Hello, I have always liked Signatures but have had good luck with the food/choices I made. However, I agree about the silliness of the presentation, etc. Maybe the reason I have liked it so much is that we usually travel with our teenage daughter and she definitely does not like Signatures, so it has always turned out to be a romantic meal with just me and my husband! (We all love Prime 7, by the way.)

Since I will soon be on the Mariner myself - leaving from Istanbul this next Monday, I will report back. This time our daughter has other plans so we will be cruising alone - so the assessment should be more objective since this will not be our one romantic evening of the cruise.

Not to take this thread off track, but adoctor, can you say who is the Captain, CD, etc on the Mariner right now?

Thanks! NJBelle

I actually prefer Signatures over Prime 7. We get better steaks at home. I have favorite dishes in Signatures that I tend to order over and over (the escargot, the mushroom soup, the halibut). And I love the cheeses.

But I do agree the lifting of the silver lids is silly. They did it with much less fanfare on our last Voyager cruise, so I am wondering if the staff thinks so too.

Agreed, the lid lifting is a trifle silly but I loved the food both times we ate there on the Mariner.

In fact the staff saw me sharing my steak with my husband - I cannot digest more than a little bit of meat - thought he was hungry with the smaller portions and spontaneously brought him a second order of lamb.

Like any restaurants I guess it has its good days and its bad days but I was lucky to eat there on its good days.

I actually prefer Signatures over Prime 7. We get better steaks at home. I have favorite dishes in Signatures that I tend to order over and over (the escargot, the mushroom soup, the halibut). And I love the cheeses.

But I do agree the lifting of the silver lids is silly. They did it with much less fanfare on our last Voyager cruise, so I am wondering if the staff thinks so too.

Mark me, hubby and both my parents in the "love Signatures" column. I think we're all in agreement the orchestrated lifting-of-the-lids is a bit silly, but overall, our service in that venue has been top-notch (even fun), and the food superb.

DH and I ate there 3 times on our Mariner cruise last year, and my folks just finished 3 weeks on the Voyager and said they loved Signatures the best of all the restaurants (again). Not sure exactly how many times they ate there on that cruise, but it was at least twice. The escargots and mushroom soup are indeed wonderful, as was a foie gras dish (a terrine? can't remember exactly). Also, again, I can't remember the exact dish, but we had something with a scallop that was to die for -- perfectly seared and buttery. And I could eat my (considerable) weight in that truffle butter.

I think I've loved everything I've tasted at Signatures, and with 4 people ordering different things, I think I tasted a lot! And we had 3 different menus on that cruise, too.

I also am not that impressed with Prime 7 -- except for the decor, which I love. I love a cozy steakhouse, and the ambience is perfect. But in my 2 times in that venue I felt that the food was really hit-and-miss. Especially the sides. Some things over-salted, others under-seasoned. Steaks just OK. Crab legs excellent, but portions are WAY too big, even if you order a 1/2 portion.

Portion sizes are way too huge for most main dishes and sides, IMHO. I know they're going for the "family-style" vibe with the side dishes, and I'm totally ok with that. However, on a cruise, I want to taste a bit of everything -- but since I can be particular about my food, if I don't like it, I don't want to feel super guilty about wasting a giant portion. Often the nice thing about a cruise is the dinners usually have pretty sensible portions -- if you like something you can always get more... I wish they'd bring that concept to Prime 7.

Thank you for reminding me of the cheeses; indeed, they are always excellent. I never 'pass' on them! I agree that Signatures provides a special ambiance and excellent service. I guess that I just would like to see a bit of fine tuning on some of the items and perhaps a bit of a buzz to the selections. While they are Cordon Bleu inspired, they originate in corporate headquarters,etc.

Ikakers...I've given up on ordering half portions of the crab legs and the last time had more luck in ordering them [and emphasizing it] by the number. I often wonder if part of Prime's philosophy is to overwhelm w. size of portion.

Definitely prefer Signatures over P7 (and prefer CR over P7). Actually, I don't care ffor the truffle butter in Signatures. There are some items on the menu that we don't care for. The rack of lamb, however, is wonderful. In terms of the presentation. . . . I don't really care that much. As long as the food is good, they can stand on their heads:)

The Cordon Bleu cooking class was certainly the highlight (and there were almost no lowlights) of our March/April TA on the Mariner for me, and I learned much about what goes on behind the galley doors.

Yes, it is most likely that the menus are set at corporate. However, there is a chef in charge in the Signatures galley who is entitled to wear the Cordon Bleu. (And when they do the classes they bring on another CB instructor.) The one on our cruise was Dumeylet Aurelien.

On the galley tour (which everyone should take if offered) you will learn that all the bread on the ship comes from one bakery and that there is only one head pastry chef. So the Tarte Tatin served in Signatures would have been the same dish served in CR or P7, if offered or asked for there. I would have been disappointed in it too if it was as the OP described. I thought the pastries on the ship were fabulous, but I'm not much of a baker so proficiency in that line really impresses me.

The risotto I had in Signatures tasted exactly the way we were taught to make it in class. The small difference in texture surprised me but that's the way they want it to taste. (It really surprised me that we made it in class at all...after all it's Italian!) The duck in Signatures was so good, it made me weak in the knees!

I loved Signitures and wasn't as fond of P7...It's very good but it's a steakhouse and that wouldn't be my first choice in dining anywhere. I did have the best pork chop I've ever had in my life there, though. I did think the Voila was a little over the top but the service in all the restaurants was exceptional. I would be sorry to see Signatures go.

We also took the LCB course on Regent (loved it). If my memory serves me correctly, they bring special Le Cordon Bleu chef's on board to conduct the class. Signatures serves in Le Cordon Bleu style -- there is not necessarily a Le Cordon Bleu chef in Signatures.

I'll like to chime in and say that I also prefer Signatures over Prime 7 and I'm a steak lover. The veal chop I had was absolutely wonderful and the mushroom soup to die for. As far as the presentation, it was fun and my daughter enjoyed it. Actually, I want to do the Panama Canal trip from FLL to SFO with my husband but hesitate because it will be on Navigator and Signatures is not included. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with that disappointment.

FWIW (in case RSSC is taking notes) I am putting a vote in for leaving the pomp and ceremony firmly in place. Perhaps it's because I eat out so often and am jaded, but it's nice to have something *different* occur tableside even if it is silly. We actually got quite a kick out of the pretentiousness of the service and like many others here looked forward to more great food choices at Signatures than P7 even if I do love steak!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mind the pomp and formality, but was disappointed in the food in Signatures on my most recent cruise. Did not feel that it was up to the Cordon Bleu standard at all. Since this was a cruise with a CB instructor onboard I expected that the quality would stand up to scrutiny, but taste was definitely lacking.

On the other hand, I just finished a drive across southern France and found the food in our small, 3-star hotel restaurants consistently exciting, both in presentation and taste. Perhaps the CB needs to infuse their menus with a little more of their energy. Good technique should not mean bland taste.

Liked P7 more than I expected, although oversalting was a problem on my second visit. It is a nice change from the main dining room anyway.

I actually prefer Signatures over Prime 7. We get better steaks at home...But I do agree the lifting of the silver lids is silly. They did it with much less fanfare on our last Voyager cruise, so I am wondering if the staff thinks so too.

I don't dislike the ceremony in Signatures. For us it adds to the occasion. And I do enjoy the food, more so than Prime7, the steak house, which to me is quite ordinary.

Definitely prefer Signatures over P7 (and prefer CR over P7). .. In terms of the presentation. . . . I don't really care that much. As long as the food is good, they can stand on their heads:)

This thread is interesting. Funny thing for me...I don't even remember the presentation!

But as a vegetarian, Signatures was wonderful for me, and Prime 7..well, I won't go back there again!!

Thanks for all the great information...We have sailed with SS, didn't care for line, sailed on Seabourn Spirit and loved it, but way more formal than we really like for a 24 day cruise.

We are booked on Regent for the first time, the Mariner for the Circle SA in Jan. Both Signatures, we enjoy a little "pomp and ceremony" now and then, and Prime 7 sound great, as we suport P. E. T. A. too!

Thanks for all the great information...We have sailed with SS, didn't care for line, sailed on Seabourn Spirit and loved it, but way more formal than we really like for a 24 day cruise.

We are booked on Regent for the first time, the Mariner for the Circle SA in Jan. Both Signatures, we enjoy a little "pomp and ceremony" now and then, and Prime 7 sound great, as we suport P. E. T. A. too!

Curious to know what you didn't like on SS as we are booked to sail with them later this year. Thanks.

Curious to know what you didn't like on SS as we are booked to sail with them later this year. Thanks.

We stared our cruising life in 1984 on the Cunard's old Vistafjord...we loved, loved, loved the ship and did several sailing on her when we could manage time away from our children. It was so classic and the passengers were a great mix from Europe and NA.

We then started sailing with Princess and loved the old Royal (Again a mix of NA and Europe). We took the growing family with us some. We also tired HAL, NCL and X, but really liked the smaller Princess ships the best....we have done mostly 14day+ cruises sailing from and/or to overseas ports...that also makws a difference in the feel of the cruise to.

OK, to your question, some friends who love SS talked us into a circle Ireland, TA and Canada trip a few years back. The cabins were nice, but we thought the food was not so good and the dinning room service was just OK, niether as good as what we were getting on Princess at the time. There also seemed to be much more smoking which is a real turn off for my husband. But mainly for us, it just didn't seem as friendly a ship as what we were use to. The passengers were mostly US, ha..ha. Our friends think SS is a great line though, so it may be just that we like different things. One thing my husband really liked was the lounge up on the top deck with all the instruments...he would go up there and play captain with the rest of the men. It was a nice lounge...never many people and a great view!

We loved Seabourn's Spirit last year..Dubai to Istanbull and will definitely sail with them again. Great service and good food though the service was really slow in the MDR on formal nights so we just ate in the other dinning room on formal nights. It was a good mix of people too US, Europe and Australia.

We are trying Regent at our TA's encouragement, she thinks we will love it...we were looking into the HAL Circle SA and Antratica in Jan, but our TA pointed out the Regent cruise isn't really that much more than HAL given all that is included, and I was not sure we would enjoy HAL for 69 days since we like Princess better than HAL.

If Regent's service and food is anywhere close to Seabourn's, I feel we will feel like we have "died and gone to Heaven!" Especially since my husband did get a lillte tired of dressing up so much on Seabourn. That is why this food thread was so interesting.

I am sure you will have good cruise...I have never had a bad one even when the engines went out on an Ncl cruise about 15 years ago and we had to eat and sleep on the outside decks because it was so hot inside the ship! Took the crew about 30 hours to get things back to normal, but it made for some story. We also got a free cruise for our discomfort and 25% off the one we were on.

Happy Sailing.

If Regent's service and food is anywhere close to Seabourn's, I feel we will feel like we have "died and gone to Heaven!" Especially since my husband did get a lillte tired of dressing up so much on Seabourn. That is why this food thread was so interesting.

I am sure you will have good cruise...I have never had a bad one...

Wow with that attitude and your cruising history, can't wait to hear what you think of Regent.

Archived