Silver Spirit Sailing June 5-12 Review

Neilio

This is a review of the Silver Spirit Venice to Athens sailing June 5-12. First, a little background on my wife and I. This was our first Silversea experience and actually our first cruise. We are both in our 40’s and very active. We love good food and wine and we were celebrating our 5 year anniversary. We booked a Mid-Ship Veranda Suite on Deck 7. After considerable research and reviewing blogs and posts on the cruise critic we chose Silversea as we wanted a smaller ship and the Silver Spirit being brand new was very appealing.

Overall Experience:

The cruise was fabulous. From the time we embarked in Venice to the time we disembarked in Athens everything was first class. The suite itself is beautiful and very functional. We liked the TV’s in the mirrors and enjoyed having on the channel showing the live view from the ship. Some of the tips that we read about on the cruise critic came in very handy. Every evening around 6:30 pm we ordered hot and cold canapés delivered to the room and enjoyed them on the veranda. Prior to our sailing we requested 1 bottle of Sapphire Gin, one bottle of Willamette Pinot Noir and one bottle of Sonoma Chardonnay. In addition to the chilled champagne in our room all the other beverages were delivered prior to our arrival. We also asked for salt free mixed nuts. Twice during our cruise the Wine was restocked without asking. We did not really have our butler do a lot more than this. In speaking with some staff members the cruise had about 400 passengers (about 75% capacity). The mix of passengers was very nice. Probably our biggest surprise was that there were quite a few families with children on the ship. There were also quite a few younger people (ages 30’s to 40’s) than we had expected based on previous posts we had read. At the end of the sailing you receive a directory of all the passenger names and home towns. It looks as though on our sailing the mix +/- was 25% U.S. , 50% European/South African/Australian/NZ and 25% South/Latin American. All the people we spoke with and met were very nice.

Food:

We ate at each restaurant with the exception of Le Champagne. During our sailing there were 2 formal nights and the last night there was a bbq on the pool deck which was incredible. We ate dinner at La Terrazza 2 nights, Hot Rocks one night, Seishin one night, Stars one night and the Restaurant one night. As noted, the last night there was a bbq that we attended. In addition to our anniversary dinner at Seishin, the dinners at La Terrazza were just outstanding. One evening we enjoyed dinner al fresco at La Terraza which was just incredibly beautiful. The wines at all the restaurants were very good. If we did not care for what was being poured all we had to do was ask and the staff was more than happy to bring another wine for us to try. The staff and management at all the restaurants were professional and could not be nicer. For our anniversary dinner at Seishin we were surprised with a beautiful personalized cake after our dinner. This was really nice. Then when we returned to our suite we could not believe that a hot bath with rose petals was drawn, including champagne with a plate of strawberries and a box of chocolates. This was a very nice touch. For breakfast and lunch we really enjoyed sitting outside at La Terrazza. In the morning we would order juice and coffee to the room and then go to breakfast. One day we had lunch at the pool grill and that was probably the weakest meal of the cruise. The choices at La Terrazza for lunch were really great. One evening the fish special was Dover Sole at La Terrazza and it was the best we have ever had. We very much enjoyed our dinners at The Restaurant as well as Hot Rocks and Stars. The bbq the last evening was incredible. The food choices and preparation were outstanding. It was also a nice touch as the ships staff was recognized and came out around the pool while all the guests applauded. The staff works very hard and it’s important that they be recognized.

Activities:

For the most part we just relaxed and enjoyed our time on the ship. We did visit each port for a few hours each day. The weather was just incredible and it was fun walking around each port/city to explore. On a number of occasions we ran into some SS Staff and they would great us by our names. My wife participated in Yoga 4 times and really enjoyed the class. Although she hoped they would provide some more times for the classes. I enjoyed a few nights playing blackjack after dinner. We did not see any of the shows. However, we did see the show in Stars a few nights in addition to our dinner and show and that was very good. It was a woman named Alfreeda singing some jazz numbers accompanied by a piano player. We very much enjoyed the swimming pool and hot tubs on the ship. The one area where we were somewhat disappointed was there were a few small children in the pool area and the parents let them go in and out of the hot tubs. My wife and I watched as there was numerous SS staff that were aghast, but no one said anything. Also, to our dismay a baby’s soiled swimsuit was left on one of the hot tub benches one day and sat there for several hours. One evening during our dinner at Hot Rocks there were two small children screaming for several minutes until the parents intervened. This is not the type of ship/cruise for children as there are no activities and it’s ridiculous that the parents would bring children on this type of trip.

Overall:

The overall experience was excellent. The ship is beautiful and the service is first class. The food is excellent and there are many choices. We really loved this cruise and look forward to our next one.

Thanks so much for posting the wonderful review of Silver Spirit. My husband and I will be traveling on the ship in September (Rome to Barcelona) and it will also be our first cruise. We are staying in a mid-ship veranda suite on deck seven as well. Did you find anything that surprised you, or are there any tips you wish you had known as first time cruisers? Finally, will you choose SS for your next trip or try something else? Any input is much appreciated!:)

Thanks so much for posting the wonderful review of Silver Spirit. My husband and I will be traveling on the ship in September (Rome to Barcelona) and it will also be our first cruise. We are staying in a mid-ship veranda suite on deck seven as well. Did you find anything that surprised you, or are there any tips you wish you had known as first time cruisers? Finally, will you choose SS for your next trip or try something else? Any input is much appreciated!:)

You will have a great time! As noted in the post we actually learned a lot reading the blogs and previous cruise reports. I think the one thing that really does stand out is if you don't like something or want to try something just ask. The staff/crew will pretty much do anything they can to assist in your enjoyment.

Thank your posting your review. It is always helpful to hear experiences from passengers fresh off a cruise of the same ship you're about to sail. We are really looking forward to our upcoming cruise. But I do hope that we do not experience any screaming children and soiled diapers! How very inconsiderate of the parents. I wonder what can be done in situations like that...I guess not much.

Neili,

Thanks so much for the review. We will be taking the same itinerary on the Spirit, Aug 5th Venice-Athens. What was your favorite port? Also, how long did it take you to get from the ship to the airport in Athens. We are concerned since we have an early flight leaving at 11:30.

Neili,

Thanks so much for the review. We will be taking the same itinerary on the Spirit, Aug 5th Venice-Athens. What was your favorite port? Also, how long did it take you to get from the ship to the airport in Athens. We are concerned since we have an early flight leaving at 11:30.

We enjoyed all the ports. Hvar, Croatia and Nafplion, Greece were really beautiful seaside villages and we had a lot of fun just wondering around. My wife loves Venice. We actually stayed the night in Athens after leaving the ship. The airport is about 45 minutes away. I think you should be fine. The disembarkment is very effecient and done in stages depending on your itinerary. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the great review and glad you enjoyed yourself. As far as the unruly children and soiled swimsuit this is what I would have done:

1. Spoke to 1 of the crew members on the Pool Deck.

2. If no action, I would have requested a pair of rubber gloves and a plastic bag. Put the nasty, soiled swimsuit in the bag.

3. Visited the Hotel Managers office and request the Ste.#s of the passengers with children so I could return their "personal property".:eek:

4. If my request was denied, I would have opened the bag and placed it ever so gently on his desk, said "thank you for your cooperation" and walked back to the Pool Deck and had a nice glass of Santa Margharita.

5. Notified the Med. Dept. and asked them to test the water in the pool and hot tub.

SS needs to really get a handle on this situation with children on board. There have been several comments recent on this board re.: unruly children and children left unattended. Not good and a liability for the cruiseline and other passengers.

Sometimes you just have to take the law into your own hands.:)

Thanks for the great review and glad you enjoyed yourself. As far as the unruly children and soiled swimsuit this is what I would have done:

1. Spoke to 1 of the crew members on the Pool Deck.

2. If no action, I would have requested a pair of rubber gloves and a plastic bag. Put the nasty, soiled swimsuit in the bag.

3. Visited the Hotel Managers office and request the Ste.#s of the passengers with children so I could return their "personal property".:eek:

4. If my request was denied, I would have opened the bag and placed it ever so gently on his desk, said "thank you for your cooperation" and walked back to the Pool Deck and had a nice glass of Santa Margharita.

5. Notified the Med. Dept. and asked them to test the water in the pool and hot tub.

SS needs to really get a handle on this situation with children on board. There have been several comments recent on this board re.: unruly children and children left unattended. Not good and a liability for the cruiseline and other passengers.

Sometimes you just have to take the law into your own hands.:)

I totally agree!

We were on the June 12th cruise from Athens to Istanbul and while we enjoyed the itinerary, the cruise experience aboard the Spirit left a lot to be desired. I won’t go into a lengthy review but in my opinion a seven-day cruise on this ship attracts a very different clientele from what I was accustomed to on the other Silversea ships. Here are just some random thoughts. The dress code for the Restaurant seemed non-existent on a couple of nights. Karaoke in the Panorama lounge was a big hit. I thought I read somewhere in the press releases that the ship’s interior design would reflect the art deco elegance of the 20’s and 30’s. Really? The cheesy looking show lounge reminded me of the Disney World theater showing the Bear Country Jamboree.

The beds are comfy, the showers are terrific but the sink basin and faucet are a joke. For an Italian owned ship the food in La Terrazza should be outstanding. To me it seemed only slightly better than an Olive Garden. The gym is small for a 540-passenger ship. The Observation Lounge is quiet and peaceful. That’s because there’s rarely more than one or two people in it. Call me nuts, but I would convert this space either into the gym or move Stars into this area. This cruise was full, port intensive and without a sea day. It’s hard to imagine enjoying the pool area on a hot and sunny sea day with the ship at full capacity. Outside of the world cruise, the Spirit is doing mostly seven day cruises in hopes of attracting a younger demographic and from the looks of it they seem to be succeeding. Having more families with infants coming to this ship let’s hope that the pool deck doesn’t become the “poop” deck. For those of you who have sailed with Fernando (the CD) over the years, I can tell you that he misses you all very, very much.

Hi Neilio

My wife and i were on the same cruise, We started a week before you in Rome and ended in Athens, Agree with your report , The main disappointment for us was the afternoon tea in La Terraza instead of the Panarama Lounge

CruzeMaven - Something can be done. I don't expect everyone to be s pro-active as I am. You can speak to a crew memeber, Hotel Director, and the Captain when he cruises the Pool Deck or at one of the receptions where he is in attendance. You can also mention this on the Cruise Critique form. You will receive 2. 1 mid-cruise and 1 at the end. SS can't fix it if they don't know it's broke.:)

EMTBSAM - Thanks for your support!:)

Jossette - Loved your refernce to the Pool Deck becoming the "poop" deck.:D

I agree with you about telling all of the people you mentioned...but the question is if they will take any action. How does " a baby’s soiled swimsuit" get left by the hot tub for several hours. Where are the pool crew that are suppose to keep the area clean and appealing? Not exactly a 5 star environment.

Cruzemaven, my thoughts exactly. This should not be. Perhaps Neilio can answer that question.

wripro, babies and toddlers should not be onboard period! Why parents would take children of any age on a SS cruise is beyond me.

And get this... on my recent Cloud voyage, Barcelona to London earlier this month, the captain's infant daughter was always in the pool splashing around with her mother and 4-year old sister. Once or twice a day at least. They were all adorable and I truly enjoyed their conversation, but I did find it odd that the infant (surely < one year old) was allowed in the pool.

... the cruise had about 400 passengers (about 75% capacity)...

The bbq the last evening was incredible. The food choices and preparation were outstanding. It was also a nice touch as the ships staff was recognized and came out around the pool while all the guests applauded ...

Thank you kindly for such an interesting report. With 400 passengers, could they seat all at the BBQ on the pool deck, or did some have to be seated around the "mezzanine track" on the deck above?

Thank you, Neilio for the report. I read it with great interest.

Regarding infants in the pool, there is a rule about needing to be potty trained to be in the pool (something a parent should realize on their own???). I know on our first SS cruise on Whisper that there was one lap baby, and we were amazed when the family used supposed lack of knowledge of the English language as their reasoning for not adhering (their English improved later in the trip, amazingly). We saw a situation at a resort in April with a couple in their 50s who seemed to be "servicing each other" in public at this luxury hotel. I watched in awe as two butlers and 3 other staff walked by and did not do anything while about 20 people just watched and dropped everything in jaw-dropping fashion as they made out.

I am critical of any situation where staff do not feel empowered to do something about either of these types of things. If they do not feel it is their place to address a guest directly, they should pick up a house phone and contact the appropriate manager on duty who has experience in delicately dealing with guests.

I believe these situations are not that common on Silversea.

Thank you kindly for such an interesting report. With 400 passengers, could they seat all at the BBQ on the pool deck, or did some have to be seated around the "mezzanine track" on the deck above?

There were people sitting on the mezzanine. Some of those tables were actually taken before many of the tables were taken on the pool deck. My wife and I did not feel it was over crowded. There were separate lines for salads, shrimp, crab claws and the hot dishes. However, as previously noted the ship was only in the 75% capacity. On a full ship if most of the guests were to visit the bbq I would imagine it would be somewhat crowded. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived