Clueless on shoes for this type of dress. HeLp!!

I just bought a long tropical dress for our next Caribbean cruise. Too good of a bargain to pass up. LOL It is similar to this one.

http://www.paradiseclothingco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=704%2D101%2DLong%2DRayon%2DDress%2DBlue

I have never worn a long dress like this before and when I tried it on, the length just hit the ground. I was thinking it would be too short by the time I put on shoes. But, DH says it is fine and to just wear a pair of flat sandals.

My question is.... Is hubby right and flat sandals would look alright with this or is there some other style of shoe to use? I have no clue.

Pics would be helpful if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

I have a maxi dress I'm planning to wear on my cruise which is floor length (or will be, when I get it shortened!) and I'm planning on wearing flats with it. If you're not going to see your feet you can use this as an opportunity to reduce the number of times you need to break out your dressy heels on the cruise, and maybe make it easier to select a pair that will match all your dresses.

Maxi dresses are a big trend in the UK at the moment, and touching the ground is the only way to go with them - no idea about what it's like the other side of the pond!

Definitely a flat sandal...or it will appear that you think it's a more "formal" dress than it is....you could do a very casual "wedge" style shoe...something in an earthy neutral or a blue-toned material....canvas, leather, straw....but they will need to be light...not "clunky", if you know what I mean...no clodhoppers under that dress!

I'd wear whatever you already packed that matches - flats or sandals with a little heel. some people would even get away with birkenstocks and that dress, if they had the right accessories.;) Very adaptable.:D

Flat sandals are perfect for that. In Hawaii, they'd wear flip flops ("slippahs"). On our first cruise, I saw a young lady wearing a lovely floral maxi dress on formal night. I told her she looked nice and comfortable - then she showed me her shoes. Flip flops, completely hidden by the dress! I admired her, and at the same time was jealous because my feet were killing me in unaccustomed high heels.

ohhhhh LOVE your dress:)if it were mine i would be wearing a black flip-flop style...there are so many out there now....ENJOY!!!!

is that white or silver/gray cos you could also do a silver/metalic type depending on the colors in the dress...hard to tell from the pic...but very COOL dress and i am sure you will LOVE wearing it!!

Thanks everyone. I was originally thinking of wearing a pair of kitten heels that are slip ons. But, that is why I was thinking the dress would be too short. So now maybe I will find a pair of flats. Was thinking a pair with gems/jewels on them or something a little more than flip flopish looking. I was wanting to wear the dress to dinner on a casual night.

Want to hit the sales during the summer! Maybe I will take the dress with me or even wear it to the shoe store. LOL

I love your dress too! I am biased somewhat because that happens to be my girlfriend's clothing store. I have accumulated lots of cute stuff from her over the years!

I have been seeing a lot of long dresses around the beach this summer. I'd probably go with flat sandals. Have a wonderful cruise!

Kim

A cute sandal in a a light color or a metalic. Really cute dress:)

Totally agree.... maybe with a 1" heel.

Lovely dress, by the way! Not too formal.... not too casual!!

What a pretty dress:) I think you could do a flat or a small heel!

I was looking at some of the items on the website and there are some

very cute items on there:)

Off to shoe shop! Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I know what I want to look for. But, you know how that goes!!

Hi, let us know if you find them:D:)

I was just coming back to post.

Found these sandals and will wear them if I don't find something else later. LOL

They are really, really comfortable and wondering if I will wear them out before I cruise. I wish they came in brown, because my swimsuit is mostly brown and I need a pair for it. LOL

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I do like how these look and don't make the dress too short. It has a slight heel and the jewels just pop out just enough to see them.

077147_4_490x490.jpg

Archived