I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

MDSue & dileep, gorgeous butterfly shots! And amazing pic of Mt Rainier!

Clochette Boréale, de rien! (du rien?? wow my French is rusty)

Here is a pic my DH took last night with our new camera, when taking the dog for a swim at Shuswap Lake. I was impressed :)

DSC_0052.JPG

That is a COOL shot! I hope to get a good sunrise or sunset (or both) shot from our aft balcony on our upcoming cruise.

I'll pass that along, Bryan, thanks! I love sunset/sunrise pics, please post some when you get back :) I see you're on countdown for two cruises, yay!

Melissa

Yes, if I get some good ones I sure will! This is the first time we've had two cruises so close together. It will be FUN!

Keep playing with your new camera. Hands-on is the best way to learn until you start your classes, and with digital, it free. You might also check out http://www.kenrockwell.com and http://digital-photography-school.com. Both have a lot of useful information.

Edited by Multi-Cruiser

Love it! Saw a similar butterfly in VA last year.

P1330640.jpg

Different colors though!

Love this one also, They have an indoor butterfly garden at Brookside Gardens (in Wheaton, MD. It was closed last time I went there, but t's definitely on my list of places to visit.

I'll pass that along, Bryan, thanks! I love sunset/sunrise pics, please post some when you get back :) I see you're on countdown for two cruises, yay!

Melissa

This one from our recent cruise on Pacific Jewel, taken on departure from Noumea, new Caledonia

DSC07126.JPG

On Saturday, I happened to catch that morning an episode of Jack Hanna's "Into the Wild" television segment with the famed Columbus Zoo Director (who's on Dave Letterman's show lots, etc.) visiting the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. This location is near Hobart, Tasmania, and the show featured many different wombats, emus and the famed Tasmanian devils, etc., that are there. WOW! Since we want to visit that specific Tasmania location Jan. 23, 2014, during our Hobart port cruise, that was an interesting connection and lucky viewing. Then, Saturday afternoon, we went to visit about 90 minutes east of Central Ohio "The Wilds" a 10,000-acre conservation center connected with Jack Hanna and the Columbus Zoo. The Wilds is the largest facility of its type in the U.S. and is home to over 25 species, many of which are endangered. We went with our friends, Janet and Dennis, who are going with us for this early 2014 Solstice Australia-NZ cruise. This coming January, they will be going to Kenya for several weeks of Africa exploring and were using this visit to The Wilds to help "get ready". And for Dennis to practice using his new 150-500mm lens.

These pictures below were taken by me Saturday and maybe sharing them here will help us get us very excited about seeing more nature, wildlife, birds, dramatic settings, etc., during our adventure in New Zealand and Australia.

Even with my Nikon D3100 and the 55-300mm lens, I was pleased with the results.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From The Wilds in eastern Ohio, a 10,000-acre conservation center connected with Jack Hanna and the Columbus Zoo, here are a few of the world's unique animals in natural settings. This gets us inspired for the early 2014 Solstice Australia-NZ cruise in search of nature, wildlife, great scenery, etc. In order below, here is a Bactrian Camel, an endangered animal that ranges in Mongolia; two Common Eland, that range in Eastern and Southern Africa (Elands are the second largest species of antelope); a Rhino that are threatened in Africa; a Giraffe that range in central, southern and east Africa; and a Grevy’s Zebra that is endangered in Northern Kenya, Southern Ethiopia. There are fewer than 3,000 Grevy’s zebra remaining in the wild. The Wilds is the only known facility in North America where third-generation white rhinos are being born. It’s great seeing these interesting animals up close and personal!!

WildsCamelFace.jpg

WildsHornedFastTwo.jpg

WildsRhinoFaceHorn.jpg

WildsGirafeHeadClose.jpg

WildsZebraLakeBackground.jpg

TLCOhio - We were at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary last December - it's not very big but you should enjoy it. They had a baby, orphaned wombat when we were there. Also very interesting watching the very powerful jaws of the Devils at work at feeding time. The roos and wallabies are tame and you can hand feed them.

TLCOhio - We were at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary last December - it's not very big but you should enjoy it. They had a baby, orphaned wombat when we were there. Also very interesting watching the very powerful jaws of the Devils at work at feeding time. The roos and wallabies are tame and you can hand feed them.

Dh and I plan to visit Bonorong when we are in Hobart this November. I'm quite excited! It's fun to read a little about it from you. Can't wait!!

Love this thread. I'm pretty much a lurker here, being such an amateur myself. The discussion on ISO, f/stop, aperture has been interesting and informative for this addled brain!! So much to remember!! I like that "bucket" analogy!

Edited by Shebba

TLCOhio, lovely! I especially like the zebra shot - it's so crisp

Waynetor: TLCOhio - We were at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary last December - it's not very big but you should enjoy it. They had a baby' date=' orphaned wombat when we were there. Also very interesting watching the very powerful jaws of the Devils at work at feeding time. The roos and wallabies are tame and you can hand feed them. [/quote']

Shebba: Dh and I plan to visit Bonorong when we are in Hobart this November. I'm quite excited! It's fun to read a little about it from you. Can't wait!!

Appreciate the nice comments on the zebra shot. Yes' date=' those are interesting animals that look very cool when you catch them in the right/good lighting conditions.

[b']Like the added comments on the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.[/b] We're looking forward to seeing it in Tasmania. Lots to see and do in Australia and NZ.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,338 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474