I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Venice is one of my favorite cities, I could spend a week there taking pictures. The light wasn't great when we went to Murano, but I do love their glass.

20120739crad.jpg

Vic

That looks like the work of Dale Chihuly, the guy that created the glass art on the ceiling of the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

I went to the local zoo this weekend to practice with my new 70-300 Tamron zoom so I will be more familiar with it on my cruise to Alaska next month. Here is a shot where I obviously got the exposure wrong. Although it's not likely to be full on sunlight in Alaska:) How would you recommend I fix this issue? and I mean before taking the photo, not after. I don't have any software for photoshop or anything like that.

Thanks, T-Rox

[email="photo.jpg"]photo.jpg[/email]

Another question for the pros ... please help me to learn, I promise you won't hurt my feelings, I have thick skin. This photo appears to have the focus off. I was using autofocus, but it looks like the body/feathers are in focus, while the head is a little out of focus. Should I be using a different focal point, or was my depth of field too low, or something else? Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

[email="photo-2.jpg"]photo-2.jpg[/email]

I'm by no means a pro, but I do try to keep my DOF to 18" or so for people and animals - stuff like this. My Tamron does the same thing - but I'm thinking it might be a calibration issue with the AF on my lens.

What's wrong with the Zebra shot? I could see having the face a shade lighter, but then the background might get distractingly washed out. For as much range that frame has to cover, looks OK to me.

Otherwise, does your camera have an Auto-Bracket function? It can then take a shot brighter and one (or more) dimmer - just in case.

I think the background on the zebra is way too bright. My Pentax K-5 has a +/- button, which I assume is for bracketing. I will read up on it in my manual. That would be very helpful to know. Thanks. When you shoot this type of subject at 18" do you let the camera set the rest, or is it best to just try several settings until you find the balance you like? I am specifically trying to find out the most efficient way to get it right, since I will need to be very fast on the whale watching tour and I don't want to revert back to Auto.

I think the background on the zebra is way too bright. My Pentax K-5 has a +/- button, which I assume is for bracketing. I will read up on it in my manual. That would be very helpful to know. Thanks. When you shoot this type of subject at 18" do you let the camera set the rest, or is it best to just try several settings until you find the balance you like? I am specifically trying to find out the most efficient way to get it right, since I will need to be very fast on the whale watching tour and I don't want to revert back to Auto.

The +/- button should be to set your exposure compensation. It is used to adjust the exposure if you need to lighten or darken an image from the settings the camera chose. Bracketing is a different issue. That is used to three or more exposures of the same image for creating an HDR photo.

To try to answer your other question, you might want to try a little "cheating". Take one shot in Auto mode, then look at your histogram or camera's data, and see what settings your camera chose. Then you can use those as a starting point in Manual mode. If you're new to DSLR shooting, try using Aperture Priority mode before jumping into full Manual mode. Set the Aperture to a reasonable diameter for the available light and let the camera choose the shutter speed. I hope that helps a little.

Thanks. I will practice some more and try using Av. I used to be pretty good at the old film cameras, but I am having a hard time adjusting from my digital point and shoot to the DSLR. I used it last year in Italy and Spain and I was happy with it, but pretty much left it on Automatic setting all the time. I have had some success with manual mode, but it takes me a long time to get it set up. I will use your tips and others I have received and practice, practice practice.