Budgeting for Food Costs

ColoCruze

My family and I will be on the Coral in Alaska in September (so excited!). It's been a while since DH and I have cruised (since our DD was born - she's now 4 and this will be her first cruise), and the last couple we were on were HAL.

In working on the budget, I'm trying to make sure I have all of the bases covered. I know that if we choose to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, there's a cover charge. And I know that sodas, specialty coffees, juices, etc. (and obviously the alcoholic drinks) are an extra fee - with the nonalcoholic options available through the purchase of a card/cards, if desired.

My question is, are there any other "food fees" that might come up? It's been long enough that I can't remember, and I don't know what might have changed anyway. I seem to remember once there was an ice cream spot, but that there was a charge for it. What about room service? Any other extras?

Thanks!!

My question is, are there any other "food fees" that might come up? It's been long enough that I can't remember, and I don't know what might have changed anyway. I seem to remember once there was an ice cream spot, but that there was a charge for it. What about room service? Any other extras?

Thanks!!

Juice, by the way, is at no extra charge at breakfast.

They used to sell regular ice cream near the pool area, but that was switched to no-charge softserve ice cream last year. You can still but milk shakes for a charge there. If the ship has the International Cafe with Gelato, there is a charge for gelato ($1.50 for 3 scoops).

Only room service food charge is a $3.00 delivery charge for pizza and if you order items you already know carry a charge (juice other than breakfast, sodsa, etc.) and party platters. Of course, many people like to tip room service when food is delivered even though room service personnel are included in the daily "auto-tip" charge.

Except (in my case!)for alcohol, we've cruised without spending one penny extra on sodas, food, coffee, etc....

There's no charge for room service, but a cash tip is sort of expected!

Juice is avail. at breakfast, and soda can be avoided (or purchase by the can if you simply MUST have one!) for one week...water is available, as is iced tea, and lemonade.

If you want to partake of the "for fee" items (except for alcohol!!!), then about $250 should cover it, if you were to buy every "package" they offer!

The coffee card is about $27 and covers 15 expresso based drinks (latte, mocha, cappuccino...) and unlimited brewed coffee and teas and hot chocolate.

If you do not use the whole card, you can save it for a future cruise.

Very good deal as a latte costs about less than 2 dollars and they will make it to order with the type of milk you want and reg or decaf expresso beans.:)

As others have said, you can have a perfectly great cruise without paying a dime extra for food or drink! If, however; you need your fancy coffee/soda or want to treat yourself to the specialty dining those are all extras.

I'm a soda addict, but have managed to survive every cruise without the soda card. I bring a few on myself and then buy the odd can every other day. I've still not tried any specialty restaurant either, and always found myself to be full and very contented with the food.

If you want to indulge in ultimate balcony dining (breakfast or dinner) there are extra charges for that.

I do recommend having extra cash for room service tips if you are so inclined.

And finally, I think this is a very personal thing. We are generally rather modest with our onboard spending, and for a 7 day cruise our total bill is rarely over $350 including the $150ish in auto-tips.

My family and I will be on the Coral in Alaska in September (so excited!). It's been a while since DH and I have cruised (since our DD was born - she's now 4 and this will be her first cruise), and the last couple we were on were HAL.

In working on the budget, I'm trying to make sure I have all of the bases covered. I know that if we choose to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, there's a cover charge. And I know that sodas, specialty coffees, juices, etc. (and obviously the alcoholic drinks) are an extra fee - with the nonalcoholic options available through the purchase of a card/cards, if desired.

Thanks!!

I don't hink you have to spend a nickle extra on food. The soft icream is now free so DD can have a treat everyday. There is so much in the dining room, buffet, grill, and pizza, to think that you'd need to look elsewhere for $$$ food sounds a bit crazy.

The only thing I would do is bring on some drink boxes for DD so you don't have to spend $$ on a soda card and so she doesn't fill her self up on that surgery crap.

Have a wonderful time.

Except (in my case!)for alcohol, we've cruised without spending one penny extra on sodas, food, coffee, etc....

There's no charge for room service, but a cash tip is sort of expected!

Juice is avail. at breakfast, and soda can be avoided (or purchase by the can if you simply MUST have one!) for one week...water is available, as is iced tea, and lemonade.

If you want to partake of the "for fee" items (except for alcohol!!!), then about $250 should cover it, if you were to buy every "package" they offer!

alcohol - in my case it is x 2;)

Juice, by the way, is at no extra charge at breakfast.

They used to sell regular ice cream near the pool area, but that was switched to no-charge softserve ice cream last year. You can still but milk shakes for a charge there. If the ship has the International Cafe with Gelato, there is a charge for gelato ($1.50 for 3 scoops).

You can still get regular scooped ice cream for free by the pool, they have vanilla and strawberry usually, just ask

From one mom to another, bring a box of juice for your DD. If she drinks Capri Sun, Juicy Juice or whatever, just bring a big box of it with a luggage tag label attached to it and they'll deliver it to your room.

They really come in handy on shore excursions and other times when it's just not convenient to get to a bar or the buffet.

When my girl was that age, we would bring on several containers of juice boxes as well as toddler fruit snacks. Just pad in an extra day before your cruise (you're doing that right?) so you can go to a local store and stock up on supplies. We were leaving from Seattle on our Alaskan cruise and did some shopping for beverages (including box o'wine and my Pepsi) and other things. Princess will let you bring drinks on as long as not alcoholic (other than wine).

Thank you, everyone, for all of your input and suggestions! I really appreciate it and feel like I definitely have a better idea about things. I'll certainly get some juice boxes for DD before we embark and some 'mommy-juice' (aka wine) for me.:D

Archived