Bummer!! :(

So sorry you are in so much pain. Did the sunscreen you used contain PABA? I discovered I was allergic to PABA one summer at the beach. I thought it was a sunburn, but it turns out I had a bad reaction to the PABA in the lotion I was using. Symptoms sound very much to what you are experiencing. Hope the rest of your vacation goes better.

Mickyliz

I am also recovering from a sunburn. It sounds very odd, but take a cool (not cold) bath, and pour several cups of vinegar in the bath with you. Soak for 30-45 minutes, then rinse. The tea bags will work in the bath as well. The vinegar works to take the sting out, and has helped me heal much quicker!

Another suggestion that I have is to use Noxema. It really does cool the skin on contact and moisturizes it so it is less likely to peel. My husband told me about this and it works! Especially slather it on before you go to bed. I hope you recover before you leave.......have a great trip!

Couldn't agree more about the tea bag advice! I always use washcloths soaked in strong tea for sunburn, and keep soaked teabags in the fridge to place on my face and eyes. Have heard that the tannic acid in tea helps "draw out the burn", whatever, it works! We always take a small box of teabags with us on our warm weather cruises. Have never blistered and within two hours of the application, the pain subsided! Good Luck!

So sorry for your sunburn.

Here is another vote for Tea bags (in cool water in the tub and soak) or plain yogurt.

Try putting sunscreen on at least 15 minutes prior to going out in the sun if you burn easy and reapply hourly.

I am a redhead and BOTH of my parents have had skin cancer. My dermotologist and I are on a first name basis. This is what dermotologists will tell you:

1. Anything over SPF 30 is a waste. If you get anything higher you need to reaply more often as they do not last as long.

2. You need to apply waterproof sunscreens 30 minutes before you get wet. I usually completely sunscreen up BEFORE I put my suit on so that I don't miss any spots (you know those spots on your swimsuit lines - especially by your buttocks - ugh)

3. At the end of the season - throw away your sunscreen. If it is a year old it is too old. It doesn't matter what the experation date says. 1 YEAR MAX!!!!

OP - I cannot tell you how many sunburns I have had that resemble the one you are talking about! I am soooo paranoid about getting one on vacation that I seek out the shadiest spot on the beach... overdo the sunscreen etc. When I get home from the Caribbean you cannot even tell that I have been there.. LOL I get ZERO sun when I am there!

If you peel while you are still there be super careful with the newly exposed skin! It won't be ready for the sun at all.

Got sunburnt on my back a few years back and wow, Dermaplast saved my vacation.

My mom used a home remedy of cucumber poultice when I was a kid - that worked, too - but I SWEAR by Dermaplast.

I now never go out in the sun unless I sunscreen up and I try to avoid mid-day sun whenever possible. A tan means sun damage - damage that is permanent.

Sorry to hear that. My fair-skinned wife got an awful burn one year in Barbados, and it really put a damper on the rest of our cruise.

Since then, we started using UV Monitor wristbands. You can find them online under the "Solar Safe" and "UVSunSense" brands. They're disposable wristbands that you put on before you apply your sunscreen. When you apply the sunscreen, you make sure to slather the wristband with it as well.

As it absorbs UV rays, it turns color. When it reaches the first major color change, it's time to reapply your sunscreen. When it reaches the final color change, it's time to get out of the sun.

Too late to help you now, unfortunately, but may be useful for others.

Im wondering how these bands could know how fair skinned you are or not?? Im very fair/Irish, and I can burn in 15 or 20 minutes. Iv burned the scalp of my head thru my hair so bad, I couldnt comb my hair for a week and who gets sun tan lotion in their hair?

My sister burns worse than me. .. sounds great, but not sure I could trust those bands.

Really concerned about you girl! Here's what the Mayo clinic says:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sunburn-treatment/an01423

And go get that rash guard clothing! Also from the Mayo:

Wearing sun-protective clothing is one of the most effective ways to guard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Sunscreens are designed to remain stable and at original strength for up to three years. This means that you can use leftover sunscreen from one summer to the next.

Some sunscreens include an expiration date — the date at which time the sunscreen is no longer effective. Discard sunscreen that is past the expiration date or is more than 3 years old.

And here's a good article by a research group(not pushing any one product) about the falicy of high SPF such as the Neutrogena product previously mentioned. As others have stated, there is no proof anything higher than 30 is effective, the high SPFs are gimics to sell products.

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/full-report/high-spf-and-other-misleading-claims/

Consensus of opinion is hat and shirt plus SPF 30 and do not go out from 12 - 2 pm! Remember, sun poisoning has permanent lasting consequences.

Sorry to hear that. My fair-skinned wife got an awful burn one year in Barbados, and it really put a damper on the rest of our cruise.

Since then, we started using UV Monitor wristbands. You can find them online under the "Solar Safe" and "UVSunSense" brands. They're disposable wristbands that you put on before you apply your sunscreen. When you apply the sunscreen, you make sure to slather the wristband with it as well.

As it absorbs UV rays, it turns color. When it reaches the first major color change, it's time to reapply your sunscreen. When it reaches the final color change, it's time to get out of the sun.

Too late to help you now, unfortunately, but may be useful for others.

Some time when we get a little older. Our body changes and our skin sometimes sincetive to the sun.

Have lived in Florida for years, including Naples. Am very fair, redhair, etc. Never layout in sun, always shade even at the beach. I look tan all year with self tanners as most Florida people use them all year round. Safe, effective and keeps you looking tan all year, ready to cruise without fear of sunburn. Hope this helps you for the future.

Im wondering how these bands could know how fair skinned you are or not?? Im very fair/Irish, and I can burn in 15 or 20 minutes. Iv burned the scalp of my head thru my hair so bad, I couldnt comb my hair for a week and who gets sun tan lotion in their hair?

My sister burns worse than me. .. sounds great, but not sure I could trust those bands.

I absolutely spray sunscreen on my scalp. I have very thin hair and have burnt my scalp too many times in the past. I just spray my part and massage it around a little. They also make hair spray and shampoos with sunscreen but I am allergic to all that I have tried so I just spray my Nuetrogena sunscreen in my hair instead. My follicly challenged brothers spray their heads too.:D

I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies and maybe this has already been suggested...but I've used vinegar on my skin after a bad burn once and it does take the pain away. I live in Florida and have only had a bad burn one time and I'm telling ya, it was AWFUL! I literally felt ill for 24 hours, like I had the flu. I was so burnt that it hurt for my long hair to touch my back...OUCH!

I'm feeling for you girl! :( Take good care of yourself and when you are on your cruise, make sure to find the shady areas by the pool.....

Feeling slightly better today (shopping therapy works! :D) Still very VERY stiff. Didn't sleep very well last night whatsoever. And I am actually running around in my PJs because it even hurts to wear an undergarmet ;) Came back from shopping, and changed immediately.

Should be feeling lots better by tomorrow, and hopefully loads better by Monday!

Thanks everyone, so much! :)

One of our local television new's channel actually ran a small report on this last week. They always have these 5-minute things you should know public service items (exercise, high calorie foods to avoid) and one of them was on sun-block and sun-tan lotions. We are suppose to be some on at least 30 minutes before going out in the sun and then apply more every so many minutes while in the sun. They did stress that for it to work apply it before going out in the sun.

Since I am not a sun worshipper I didn't think too much of it until I started reading the posts here.

Sissayu hope you are feeling better before you walk up that gangplank.

Now I have red bumps showing up all over :( My dad has just told me to avoid the sun as much as I can :( Right before my cruise tomorrow :( I can't say it's exactly ruined because it's a cruise, but it's gone down a few notches since I just sit on the deck and swim all day :(

Now I have red bumps showing up all over :( My dad has just told me to avoid the sun as much as I can :( Right before my cruise tomorrow :( I can't say it's exactly ruined because it's a cruise, but it's gone down a few notches since I just sit on the deck and swim all day :(

I would agree that that doesn't sound right. If you can see a doc/urgent care before you get on the ship, I would do that. Or fork over the $ when you get on board. DO NOT go into the sun without sunscreen and don't sit by the pool if you don't know what it is.

You're getting married in a year, right? you don't want to risk getting sick! I know it's a year away, but it would be the pits to be really sick on the cruise and then have to worry about things. Just take it easy and buy a few books because you may be sitting in your cabin. :( Good luck and feel better!

Archived