Credit cards can't be used??!!

lhall85917

My DH just talked to someone who said that they just returned from Greece and that they weren't accepting credit cards anywhere due to their economic troubles. I find this difficult, if not impossible, to believe but thought I'd ask on here just to find out. Has anyone had problems using credit cards?

We were there from May 23 through June 5th and and no trouble at all. I think this is another one of those sky is falling issues, OR the person who went forgot to tell their CC company they were going and all of their transactions were rejected, which is probably what the truth really is.

One more tip I learned, when using ATMs in Europe (I was in Italy, Greece and Turkey), don't select "Other Amount". Use their denominations they offer...I learned this one the hard way. I was in Greece in mid-May, and had no trouble using credit cards.

The only problem we have encountered in Europe with credit cards is that some vendors, particularly unmanned payment c machines like in gas stations or road toll booths, require the use of a PIN number. In a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, this problem was also cited and the article said it stems from the fact that credit cards issued in Europe have much more encription for safety than those issued here (and also said that our banks don't want to invest in the newer technology that Europe uses to issue these more secure cards). We found out the hard way trying to fill up the car with gas in Italy, and trying to pay road tolls. Not fun!! This time in Europe we won't be renting any cars, so hopefully won't encounter the problem.

The only problem we have encountered in Europe with credit cards is that some vendors, particularly unmanned payment c machines like in gas stations or road toll booths, require the use of a PIN number. In a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, this problem was also cited and the article said it stems from the fact that credit cards issued in Europe have much more encription for safety than those issued here (and also said that our banks don't want to invest in the newer technology that Europe uses to issue these more secure cards). We found out the hard way trying to fill up the car with gas in Italy, and trying to pay road tolls. Not fun!! This time in Europe we won't be renting any cars, so hopefully won't encounter the problem.

We encountered this same problem in Barcelona when we tried to pay for our trip to Montserrat. The ticket machine asked for a PIN number - no one in our group of around 20 had PIN numbers, so we had to pool our cash to purchase the tickets.

Hey H2o,

We appear to be neighbors in NC...hot lately, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to do about traveling with this PIN issue, except to avoid machines when using credit cards. The WSJ article I referred to said that in stores, restaurants, retail shops, etc. where a person is assisting you with the credit card transaction, they can somehow override the need for a PIN. You are lucky you had cash...I need to keep this in mind for our upcoming trip!

Rang my cc company today to forewarn them I was visiting Greece, he certainly gave me the impression that it was a common thing for them to refuse transactions in Greece and Turkey- for security reasons he kept saying. Be forewarned and have alternatives and hope that one of them will be accepted!!! I usually lighten my purse so i am not carrying many cc in case they get stolen not sure what to do now.

Rang my cc company today to forewarn them I was visiting Greece, he certainly gave me the impression that it was a common thing for them to refuse transactions in Greece and Turkey- for security reasons he kept saying. Be forewarned and have alternatives and hope that one of them will be accepted!!! I usually lighten my purse so i am not carrying many cc in case they get stolen not sure what to do now.

I would think that if you let your bank know you are traveling to Greece (or Turkey) there shouldn't be any security flags with purchases in that country?? (Unless for some reason they were suspicious due to unusually large charge amounts, perhaps.....)

I traveled in Turkey for two weeks and never had any issue with either my credit card being declined (Capital One MasterCard) or with using my ATM card. I did let both my bank and the CC company know in advance, as I always do.

Call another one of your credit card companies.

You should never travel and rely on one credit card anyway. What happens if they shut your account down due to fraud?

Definitely travel with multiple cards.

Keith

My experience using credit cards in Europe:

1. VISA and MasterCard are, by far, the most accepted. Don't bother bringing American Express

2. You almost always need to enter a PIN when using the credit card in Europe. Call your credit card issuer and have them set up a PIN for you. Just like your ATM card, only this time with your credit card. Personally I like the extra security a PIN adds to the use of your card. I wish they used this method in the states.

3. Verify that the merchant, restaurant, etc. takes credit cards - especially before you sit down for dinner.

4. Call your card issuer before you go and let them know which countries you will be traveling to and during what time period.

5. Most of the time you will be swiping the card with their portable device and entering the PIN. Or, the merchant will swipe the card in front of you, then hand you the device to enter the PIN. I wish they used this method in the states - your credit card is always in your possession.

I would think that if you let your bank know you are traveling to Greece (or Turkey) there shouldn't be any security flags with purchases in that country?? (Unless for some reason they were suspicious due to unusually large charge amounts, perhaps.....)

I traveled in Turkey for two weeks and never had any issue with either my credit card being declined (Capital One MasterCard) or with using my ATM card. I did let both my bank and the CC company know in advance, as I always do.

I agree we were there from May 20 until June 6th and never had any problems.

Oh yes....... be sure and call your credit card companies and tell them exactly where you are going and when....... charges could and should be declined......it's for your own good.

This is called annotating your card, because they put a notation on your card computer record so when they start checking sudden Greece (or whatever country) charges they see the notes. Give them the countries and dates. Also bank ATM cards. (Way better to use bank ATM cards for cash withdrawals than credit cards. With credit cards your withdrawal will be treated as a cash advance and you will start paying high interest immediately, not when your bill comes.)

Just returned from 2 weeks in Greece--no problems using credit cards or ATMs. Made sure we had cash for restaurants--many small restaurants are cash only. Only used ATMs at banks. We were traveling with 2 older teenage granddaughters and neither had a problem using their cards. And make sure your card company knows how long you will be in Greece. Enjoy Pat

My experience using credit cards in Europe:

1. VISA and MasterCard are, by far, the most accepted. Don't bother bringing American Express

I agree that Visa and MC are most accepted......but we used our American Express ALOT ! We always ask if they take AE first...... then if not, we use MC or Visa. Why ? Because we get double rewards and then never pay for airfare !!!!!! Nice to fly to Europe free :D

I read an article in our sunday paper about credit card use. It said many european banks are replacing the magnetic strip with an embedded microchip and pin cards, to cut out credit card fraud. US banks have resisted due to cost. Like all have said call your banks and let them know you are out of country (where and when) and do carry cash euros with you. Society today has us all relying on debit/credit cards to buy that i go absolutely bonkers that shoppers will charge $5.00 or less on a card, then when it crashes it's all my fault!! Remember cash does wonders

happy cruising

miss pupule

I think it's been in the last 2 yrs. that our VISA card was replaced with a "chip card". Now that most retailers have the new terminals, its great. I let them know I'm paying by VISA. I put the card into reader enter my PIN, as soon as it is approved, I take my card out and into my wallet. No signature needed. Retailers never need to handle your CC.

My DH just talked to someone who said that they just returned from Greece and that they weren't accepting credit cards anywhere due to their economic troubles. I find this difficult, if not impossible, to believe but thought I'd ask on here just to find out. Has anyone had problems using credit cards?

freinds of ours are over there in the greek islands as we speak and are not having any problems even in the small off the tourist route islands.Maybe the person concerned didnt have one of the new micro chipped cards I know a couple of years ago in the U.K some places would not accept our Australian credit card as it was not micro chipped like those in the U.K

We've had chip and pin (as it's known here) in the UK since about 2005. That is, it was rolled out from about then onwards, and when your current card expired then you got a chip & pin card as a replacement. (In fact, they may even have replaced cards early.) Since then I've taken my cards abroad into Europe a number of times and never had any problems using them. The Chip & Pin machines have got smaller and better over time: now they're wireless and untethered, so in a restaurant the waiter brings the machine to you, you pop the card into it, enter your number while the waiter ostentatiously looks the other way, and in a few seconds you withdraw your card.

In fact there's a whole new 'social behaviour' meme that has developed: everyone standing anywhere near someone who is entering a PIN number looks away.

One more tip I learned, when using ATMs in Europe (I was in Italy, Greece and Turkey), don't select "Other Amount". Use their denominations they offer...I learned this one the hard way.

What happens if you select "Other Amount"?

Archived