Tips for a Solo Traveler

jcscv

I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess solo in August to New England/Canada and am a little nervous about it. I've only been on a 3 day cruise on my own, and had no problems and met lots of people, but 7 days seems a little daunting. So, I'm looking for any suggestions/hints to help me feel a little more comfortable about this and to get as much out of my cruise as possible.

This is my first time on Princess and I have the Anytime Dining plan, which is a first for me. I'm a people person, and am not looking for alone time (although, I am fine with my own company ;) ).

Any help would be appreciated!

The last thing you need to be is nervous. I was cruising solo on the Caribbean Princess 3 years ago and I'm still in communication with many of them. Meeting your fellow cruisers on the roll call thread would be a great ice breaker. Within a short time, you'll consider them friends even before meeting them. Anytime dining is also easily done. Being the people person you are, you're about to meet some remarkable dinner mates. An open mind is a good thing to travel with.

I would recommend joining your roll call on the cruise - hopefully that is active and you can meet some friends before the cruise. Attend their get together if they have one.

You are on a very port intensive trip - I strongly suggest booking shore excursions with the ship and there will always be people to be with on shore excursions.

I seriously doubt you will feel alone.

Even though I often cruise with friends/family, I have my own cabin and go my own way most of the day. I've also cruised as a solo. I join the CC roll call and participate in those, go on ship's tours so I meet others on the ship, select Traditional dining so I'm with the same people every night and get to know them, join others at tables in the buffet at breakfast or lunch and just chat, find a corner of the ship to read, go to activities on the ship, etc. The only time I have felt lonely was going to a lounge in the evening and having a pre-dinner drink. I sit outside the Explorer's Lounge and "people watch." Sometimes, people sit down and join me, i.e., people I've never seen before. Most people enjoy meeting others and are very friendly.

You'll have a great cruise.

My first solo was on Crown Princess - had a fantastic time!

I did Anytime Dining as well - the very first night I met two ladies travelling together, and we enjoyed eachother's company so much, they suggested I meet them for dinner every night - we just met in the line-up (pre-planned the time and which dining room).

I would strongly suggest having a look at the many threads at "Solo Cruisers" under "Special Interest Cruising" - I found it very helpful prior to my first solo (I have since done 3 more solos - all wonderful).

Enjoy your cruise!

my first cruise as a solo was 30 days in south america. it was wonderful: coming and going as i pleased, eating (or not) as i pleased, staying up late or getting up early. i even took naps some days! i did mostly take ships tours and a couple of awesome tours arranged by our roll call. i had anytime dining and i shared a table every night. i liked that i met 5-9 people at dinner each evening. i would see them around the ship or on tours and knew them to say hi to.

one of the best parts is that the travelling is so much easier. i only have to worry about my passport and my luggage and my tickets and not where everyone else is, or doing a head count all the time.

things that hadn't occured to me--

1. no one to help zip up my formal dress. i just pre-zipped and got into it. it was very good that there was no one else in the cabin to see me get in (and out of) it!

2. in the buffet, i'd finish my salad, go get my main and come back and my table had been cleaned or someone else was sitting there so i just brought both to the table at the same time.

one of the plusses is that there is usually seating for one in the theatre, so you don't have to go super early if that is your thing. also, on the princess tours most people travel in couples, so on every bus i had the whole seat to myself.

i'm going for 14 days next and soooo looking forward to time alone with no one needing me! ahhhhhhh

i hope you have a wonderful time.

I travel solo about half of the time. I prefer traditional dining and ask for a large table. I have done Chef's Table on my own and met some very nice people who I met for drinks or meals. I have also used roll call tours and had a great time as well as saving a fair amount of money. On your itinerary you should be ok doing the ports on your own, but in more exotic ports you may want to go with a group, either the roll call or ship's tour. Your post doesn't mention your gender, but there are definitely some ports you should not do on your own, and roll call tours can be safe, budget friendly and a great opportunity to get to know people.

I really enjoy my alone time and spending time with a good book or watching a show or movie. You can also sit in the piazza and open yourself up to sharing a table with others. Playing trivia also gives you a better chance to meet other people in a fun activity. Poeple are generally very friendly, and there are great opportunities to make long term friends.

and immerse yourself in the experience, and remember, the longer the cruise the better opportunity you have to meet compatible people.

My daughter and I will be on the CB on the 28th. I think you will enjoy your cruise as fellow cruisers are very friendly. You will be surprised how many you will have talked with by the end of the week. If you are sailing the 28th, sign in on our roll call if you would like.

2. in the buffet, i'd finish my salad, go get my main and come back and my table had been cleaned or someone else was sitting there so i just brought both to the table at the same time.

To avoid this problem because I really, really hate having to select all my food at once, I take a book and a wrap or bag. I go into the buffet, 'stake out' a table - it's not always easy to find a two top (I don't like to be inconsiderate and occupy a big table on my own) but if you walk around a time or two, you can often catch people getting up and leaving. Just stand by the table and wait politely for a server to clear it, then put your wrap or bag on one chair and your book on the table. Then I consolidate by getting a glass of water and maybe a cup of tea so the table looks properly occupied before I venture off to survey the food offerings. Between courses, I clear my dirty plate to the far corner of the table and leave my book obviously open at my place with my napkin beside it to show the server which plate to clear and that I haven't finished. This sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really once you get in the habit of it, and it allows you to have a relaxed meal at your own pace - one of the major joys of cruising IMO.

To avoid this problem because I really, really hate having to select all my food at once, I take a book and a wrap or bag. I go into the buffet, 'stake out' a table - it's not always easy to find a two top (I don't like to be inconsiderate and occupy a big table on my own) but if you walk around a time or two, you can often catch people getting up and leaving. Just stand by the table and wait politely for a server to clear it, then put your wrap or bag on one chair and your book on the table. Then I consolidate by getting a glass of water and maybe a cup of tea so the table looks properly occupied before I venture off to survey the food offerings. Between courses, I clear my dirty plate to the far corner of the table and leave my book obviously open at my place with my napkin beside it to show the server which plate to clear and that I haven't finished. This sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really once you get in the habit of it, and it allows you to have a relaxed meal at your own pace - one of the major joys of cruising IMO.

I pretty much follow the same routine in the buffet. I always take my Sony digital reader with me, and place it on a table for 2, along with a large mug I brought from home, for iced tea or juice. It does send out a signal that the table is taken. I leave my reader on the table while going back for an entree or soup or whatever.

heay u have a extra room in your cabin lol I'll go with in all seroisness u will be fine meet lots of great people :p but i like to figure out this role call thing i sure like to meet some on my trip take care enjoy life u only live once :D

I pretty much follow the same routine in the buffet. I always take my Sony digital reader with me, and place it on a table for 2, along with a large mug I brought from home, for iced tea or juice. It does send out a signal that the table is taken. I leave my reader on the table while going back for an entree or soup or whatever.

You have a white mini-schnauzer; so do I. His picture is very cute.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a Sony digital reader on a table by itself. Too tempting for quick fingers. ;) Same goes for cameras, ipods, or other expensive items.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a Sony digital reader on a table by itself. Too tempting for quick fingers. ;) Same goes for cameras, ipods, or other expensive items.

I was wondering about that too. I've had a couple cameras stolen within seconds of leaving them unattended on ships. I wouldn't risk leaving the reader unattended, even a minute.

heay u have a extra room in your cabin lol I'll go with in all seroisness u will be fine meet lots of great people :p but i like to figure out this role call thing i sure like to meet some on my trip take care enjoy life u only live once :D

i was going to point you in the direction of your roll call, but i went over there and saw you found it on your own. :) enjoy your cruise.

Speaking of an e-reader - I have taken my Kindle on two cruises and it is a great conversation starter. The only problem is that you can't get too involved in the story line, because of the interruptions!

I've been solo cruising for years and it is quite fun. It's a safe (relatively speaking) way to see the world. Keep an open mind and you will bring home amazing memories! Enjoy!

Liz

PS - for the dog record... I have a wheaten-colored adult Scottie and am getting a black Scottie puppy this weekend! Guess it's time to update my avatar...

Archived