Doing your homework

BosoxI

I have just corresponded with a representative from a big jewelry outfit cruise lines love to push while in the Caribbean. He gave me a price on a diamond that is $19,000 higher than what I can purchase a better stone for at home. Last month, on impulse, I bought a very nice dress watch while in Jamaica. I love the watch, which I really didn't need, and was happy to see my purchase price was the lowest I encountered while in other ports of call. I was very pleased until I wandered into a shop 3 miles from my home and saw the same watch selling for $123 less. $123 is not a lot of money, but it's still annoying. Any experienced traveler can recount similar experiences, I know. Purchasing jewelry is always a bit chancy, due to wild differences in quality, but watches are a different story. I know this topic has been previously addressed but, please, do your homework while at home so you have some idea of prices. There are a few bargains to be had, but they're harder and harder to find

Hi There,

The way I deal with DW shopping needs is simple if she wants a ring etc,

we set a price, she is then free to find a ring to that value that she likes

I do not care about its real value only that she is happy with what she

has bought, but then again I am only allowing her to spend in the

hundreds not in the thousands , so I am never going to lose big time.

yours Shogun

I have just corresponded with a representative from a big jewelry outfit cruise lines love to push while in the Caribbean. He gave me a price on a diamond that is $19,000 higher than what I can purchase a better stone for at home. Last month, on impulse, I bought a very nice dress watch while in Jamaica. I love the watch, which I really didn't need, and was happy to see my purchase price was the lowest I encountered while in other ports of call. I was very pleased until I wandered into a shop 3 miles from my home and saw the same watch selling for $123 less. $123 is not a lot of money, but it's still annoying. Any experienced traveler can recount similar experiences, I know. Purchasing jewelry is always a bit chancy, due to wild differences in quality, but watches are a different story. I know this topic has been previously addressed but, please, do your homework while at home so you have some idea of prices. There are a few bargains to be had, but they're harder and harder to find

Good advice. If you buy that watch, camera, etc on vacation make sure it comes with a US warranty as with many of those items the warranty is null in the US.

Mike:)

I purchased a rather expensive watch in one of the usual suspects' stores in St. Thomas in January. I knew what the price was in Canada/US and through negotiation I did get the price down to a level that I was happy with, plus I purchased it from an authorized dealer with an international warranty. However, I did see the same watch in the jewellery boutique on the Golden in May at the same duty free price .... so some manufactures do control the pricing of their product.

I used to go back and forth about purchasing impulse items while vacationing for this very reason - I hadn't done my homework and could only assume the prices were inflated. Although I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount of money on anything, I don't like feeling like I overpaid for anything (I assume most ppl feel the same way!).

Even though I don't shop for expensive jewellry or other big ticket items on vacation, I have learned to research my destination and find out what types of locally produced items the destination is "known" for. If its something really unique i'd consider buying it on vacation so I can always remember my trip.

Thanks(?) to globalization, a lot of these items are available elsewhere for competitve prices so once you factor in shipping/packing/declaring at customs etc it gets to be pricier.

If this is confusing, I apologize - I'm thinking of when I spent half an hour haggling over some pretty lanterns that struck my fancy in Turkey only to end up not getting them and then seeing them aat marshalls/pier one/home goods/one of those stores when I got back home...for the price difference of $5.00 per lantern :)

So thanks for posting this - I frequently need. Reminder to do my homework!

I somewhat disagree, as there are deals to be had, but only as the OP says, "If you do your homework". I was looking for a specific gold/diamond watch, and went to a large, reputable firm in my home city to find out what they were charging. On our next cruise I checked a number of "the usual suspects" in a number of ports, and finally made a deal I was happy with in Antigua, ensuring it had an international warranty. As soon as I got home I took the watch to my usual appraisal place, mostly for insurance purposes, but also to ensure I wasn't taken for a ride. To my delight I saved about 65% off Canadian retail, as I didn't realize the watch I priced at home was 10K gold, and the one I bought was 14K.

Hi Colo cruiser

When is costco going to open in the caribbean:):)

yours Shogun

Better to deal with a trusted business on the home turf if you want to buy diamonds/watches and electronics.

Costco can supply you with any size diamond you desire (can afford).

At much better prices.

Gone are the days of fantastic deals for merchandise in the Caribbean.

Better to deal with a trusted business on the home turf if you want to buy diamonds/watches and electronics.

Costco can supply you with any size diamond you desire (can afford).

At much better prices.

Gone are the days of fantastic deals for merchandise in the Caribbean.

I agree and Costco has several stores in Puerto Rico as well as Mexico.

I think many cruise purchases are impulse purchases--not anything that is planned. I certainly would only be purchasing a jewelry item for a couple of hundred dollars--not thousands. However, I have a friend that purchased an emerald ring in Turkey. She paid $7,000 for it. It came with a cruiseline (X) guarantee. When she got it home, it was appraised for $24,000. AND, she did declare it at customs. She was asked if she saw the stone set in the setting, she said yes. She was told as it was handcrafted, she didn't have to pay duty on it.

Like the original poster said, if you are planning a big purchase, know the price before you leave. Costco is a good comparison--probably the best price unless there is some special promotion at Best Buy or Macy's.

Keep in mind that appraisals are for insurance purposes and the owner's piece of mind.

If you would like a more accurate assessment, just ask your jeweler or dealer what he/she would be willing to pay for the piece.

The OP offers good advice. I would never buy jewelry anywhere away from home unless I really liked the way it looked and was buying it solely for that purpose and not for it's quality or as an investment. If you really want to buy a nice piece of jewelry, do so at home with a Master Diamond Cutter with an excellent reputation that sells GIA stones.

We have purchased several items in the Caribbean and have had them appraised,and have always been worth more than we paid for it. But even in the last 5 years, I have seen a dramatic drop in the "deals" I see at the shops in the Caribbean.

On the Crown a couple of months ago, I purchased a watch my wife picked out for me, and when I got home priced it a couple of places and it was at least 10% cheaper than any store I priced it at. I felt more comfortable purchasing on the ship as well.

Mike

Some interesting stories here, as I knew there would be. Sometimes it pays to take a fling and buy something that is truly a rare find. Just before leaving Cuzco, my DW bought on impulse a 22kt replica of an Incan nose ring. She wears it quite frequently as a pendant and last week on the CB a Peruvian waiter noticed it for what it is. I have never seen one any place else except on my DW's chain, something of an unusual find. My dear late cousin proudly exhibited a Murano glass vase he bought in Venice. I saw a similar piece in a Naples, Florida store selling for half the price he had paid for his. When I gleefully and jokingly pointed that out to him, he took the philosophical path, shrugging his shoulders and saying his piece had a story. A good attitude when things like that happen. But the world has truly shrunk and things that once could be found only in some far flung place routinely can be found on a shelf in Home Goods. Why take a chance when abroad? (Answer: because sometimes it's fun to take a flier) And sometimes a painful story becomes a bit more amusing with the passage of time

Very few indeed and if you do have a problem good luck with getting it resolved. (and they know it)

I have to disagree, my gf bought a bracelet at a cruise line recommended shop, she loves it. Shortly after we noticed 2 tiny stones were missing. Contacted the company and it was fixed immediately no questions asked. Was very happy with the service we received from them.

As with all purchases you should do your homework but in the end do what makes you happiest.

I have to disagree, my gf bought a bracelet at a cruise line recommended shop, she loves it. Shortly after we noticed 2 tiny stones were missing. Contacted the company and it was fixed immediately no questions asked. Was very happy with the service we received from them.

As with all purchases you should do your homework but in the end do what makes you happiest.

You were very fortunate but there are many horror stories I read over the years that make me very cautious & considering the little savings to be had on small purchases we'll do our jewelery shopping locally where we know we can return an item the next day if need be.

You were very fortunate but there are many horror stories I read over the years that make me very cautious & considering the little savings to be had on small purchases we'll do our jewelery shopping locally where we know we can return an item the next day if need be.

Understandable, we looked locally first but she absolutely fell in love with the piece and it was inline pricewise with what we saw at home, similar carats price etc, so we bought it. She is happy with it and that is all that matters.

Archived