Cheap Private Tour Rome, Florence???

michaeleds

I know you pay for what you get... I believe in quality but have always wanted to find quality at cheap price... I know that sometimes I may get burned but at the same time I'd like to see as much as I can but don't want to spend 350. I thought about sharing a tour but at the same time we are on a family trip maybe last one before my son leaves the nest so I'd like to be private... I also know I want maybe the impossible... but hey if I don't ask... who knows. So what's the chance of getting off the ship... and paying someone at the dock at a lower price than $350 :)

I know you pay for what you get... I believe in quality but have always wanted to find quality at cheap price... I know that sometimes I may get burned but at the same time I'd like to see as much as I can but don't want to spend 350. I thought about sharing a tour but at the same time we are on a family trip maybe last one before my son leaves the nest so I'd like to be private... I also know I want maybe the impossible... but hey if I don't ask... who knows. So what's the chance of getting off the ship... and paying someone at the dock at a lower price than $350 :)

Rome and Florence are not close to the docks.....so you will be paying for the transportation to and from them along with the "sightseeing tour" cost.

We have always done ships tours or private tours-my fear about using the taxis that line up at the dock is that I would expect that they are taxi drivers, not tour guides, and their English might not be all that good. And taxis in Europe, regardless of where you are, are not inexpensive.

If you want "cheap", then why don't you look into taking public transportation, doing the research on each city yourself (Rick Steves guidebooks are great) and doing a walking tour. Florence is very easy to navigate since alot of it is pedestrian only. Rome not so much so-easy to walk but large and spread out (and busy unless you are there on a Sunday).

IF you truely want cheap, then you have to forget about looking for a "tour". Depending how well you can manage yourself and your time, it is SIMPLE to walk your group- several blocks to the train station, for Rome. Buy a BIRG ticket, about $13 round trip pp, and includes all buses and metros. Head to your library and pick up tour books, Rick Steves is especially good. I did the Collesum, thne an interesting walking tour that included many highlights.

Same for Florence- take a cab- hook up with others to share, to the train station. In Florence, plenty is walkable to fill your day with touring.

All at a small fraction of any "tour".

I too was in your your same situation of squeezing in what may be the last vacation with the kids before they move on. I finally came to the realization that I was not going to risk a bad port day by being frugal, so I booked a guide at the last minute for Florence ( I already committed to drivers in the Moncao, Rome and Naples), and was so glad I did. We had a great guide, did more than we thought possible, and had a great experience. The time we saved with using a guide was well worth it. This was only a week ago, and I already forgot the added expense, but not th memories. Go for it!

I agree with mozfoz in that this trip will leave a lifetime of memories so why take a chance on them being bad. First I don't know who priced you at $350 but that is very cheap. Most of the recommended drivers/guides on this board are 500+ euro, not dollars and I wouldn't use one not recommended. The public transportation is an more than an hour away from Florence and by using a private driver you don't waste that time, there are always things to see like a side trip to Pisa and/or the Tuscany landscape. With a private driver you set the itinerary and see so much more. I used Giovanni with Sunflower Tours but many others are recommended on these boards. I highly recommend Giovanni, it was one of our very best days and at the end of the day he is your newest best friend. Europe is not cheap and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and bust the budget. Check out Giovanni, google Sunflower Tours. Happy cruising

I do not know how many people will be traveling with you, but this should also be kept in mind in making your decision. As the "finiancer" and "organizer" of our trip, I had to consider what is easiest and not just the cheapest. Most of the do it yourself comments are usually for just a person or two doing a port independly, which is great. I however, knew that I had six others depending(looking to blame?) on me to get them from point to point. I started to imagine how in the sweltering heat of summer, if I made just one small misjudgement of which direction to walk, how I would be hung out. Traveling independently with a group is economical, but so is amortizing the per person cost with a guide. Peace of mind was worth the added cost for me.

Of course, this is my opinion only, but I think waiting to see if you can find a taxi/tour at the dock is almost the worst possible option. You are completely at the mercy of circumstances. And what would be your plan if you do not find someone at the dock? Or if they all want twice as much as you have budgeted for a tour? Are you going to miss seeing Florence or Rome because you didn't have either a confirmed tour or a good backup plan?

IMO, if you have a budget, most of the ports are relatively easy to do on your own. The transportation to Rome is easier (port shuttle to gate, 4-5 blocks to train station, and then you will be in Rome) but Rome itself requires more planning to get to a reasonable number of sites in a day. Florence is more compact once you get there, but the transport to the train station is a little more aggravating. (Still can be done if you are very early off the boat and can snag a cab to the station).

Sharing a private tour doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be joined at the hip with others. I spent two weeks in Egypt with a group of only 6 others plus our guide, and there were plenty of times when we broke up into smaller groups as we walked around sites, ate, etc.

I would urge you to consider other options.

If budget is what it is both ports can be DIY and I think very enjoyable to. If your kids and you are up for a little walking, public transportation it can be a "good" adventure too. Just see a bit less but still a lifetime of fun/memories. An alternative is Florence DIY and save the money for a full on private tour in Rome. I said that as Florence everything is very central and walking distance IMHO while Rome the sights IMHO are a bit more spread out and the private vehicle we appreciated and leveraged more.

Another option is tour share. The private vehicles can take 6-7 comfortably, with the Euro at record lows it works to a little more than 100 dollar per person for a full van.

I would NOT do the taxi tour over DIY no matter how friendly and good the sales job the cabbie gives you one the ride from port to train station. I'd give it 60:40 chance it goes great : poor and frankly not so much better than a nice DIy with your child.

Good luck!

....I'd like to see as much as I can but don't want to spend 350.

Are you and your family open to the idea of DIY touring via public transportation in these cities (and between port & city)? If so, you can't beat the value or the memories if you plan it well.

I agree with the others re not leaving it to chance by waiting until you arrive to arrange something.

When are you going on your cruise?

Thanks to everyone... I have spent weeks.... every night for last 4 weeks on the internet especially Cruise Critic researching and planning. I feel like we could do a DIY. I have been to Rick Steves website and bought a couple of Books... i must say that i think planning is half the fun...

We leave the 9th for Barcelona. We should arrive there a day early if everything works out well... Again thanks to all I can't wait... hmmmm still thinking not sure...:eek:

The HoHo bus stops right across from the train station.The one to get is the 110 bus(there are several) which is run by the city.The price is reasonable and it goes by all the must see places and you can hoho anywhere you want..Just another option. I think to take the train from the port is about 8 euro rt.

For Rome, take the train the Termini station in Rome. Board the HOHO red bus that is out the terminal to the right--you can't miss it. Get on and off as desired. Google free walking tours for some ideas. Or, if everyone has an iPOD or MP3 player, download the walking tours from ricksteves.com.

Similar advice for Florence.

OK.... :) I've decided to spend the cash and use private tour companies for Italy... I think for the money we are already spending the last thing I want to do is spend a couple of hours trying to figure out what I'm doing... maybe the next trip we will do more ourselves.

Although I'm still planning on DIY in France ports of Nice and Toulon... we leave this Friday... can't wait

Have a wonderful trip. I think you are wise to spend the money for Rome and Florence. They are quite a distance from the port and you could spend quite a bit of time just trying to get into the city much less then trying to squeeze everything in you want to see.

I was pickpocketed on the bus in Florence. Didn't keep my hand over the top of my purse. Keep a look out if you are on public transportation.

I second the idea of purchasing a BIRG ticket and if you would like to have a guided walking tour - we used Through Eternity. Great english speaking guides who really bring everything to life and will happily recommend other stops for you (lunch other sites etccc).

Don't forget your roll call - a group of you might be able to band together and book a van to Florence for the day. Or consider going to Pisa and Lucca instead. Pretty easy to catch the train.

I see the port of Livorno is still not as savvy as Citivecchia - no shuttles directly to the Train station.

• 2 weeks later...
OK.... :) I've decided to spend the cash and use private tour companies for Italy... I think for the money we are already spending the last thing I want to do is spend a couple of hours trying to figure out what I'm doing... maybe the next trip we will do more ourselves.

Although I'm still planning on DIY in France ports of Nice and Toulon... we leave this Friday... can't wait

Wow... we had a great trip... thanks to all for the encouragement... we decided to go ahead and get private tours and they were great with great companies and... well what can I say but we had a wonderful time and it was well worth it can't wait to go back...

Wow... we had a great trip... thanks to all for the encouragement... we decided to go ahead and get private tours and they were great with great companies and... well what can I say but we had a wonderful time and it was well worth it can't wait to go back...

AHHHHH another satisfied Cruisecritic customer !!!!! :D

We just returned from our cruise. We did only two private tours and did the rest DIY. We had tons of fun and found that if you did enough research and planning, you will have a great trip and nothing to worry about!

Archived