Will i make my flight? Canaveral to MCO for morning flight

The freedom of the seas arrives at port on a Sunday morning at 7am. Will i make a 10:30 am flight?

I have been on 2 cruises and brought my luggage out on my own on both occasions. If i were to notify the staff that i have a early morning flight, and be first in line when the first bunch of passengers leave, can i make my 10:30 am flight?

Reading the forums tells me it is a good 45min drive from port to MCO. Is it safe to assume traffic accidents are a rarity on the straight shoot to MCO on Sunday mornings?

In addition, i will be traveling back to Toronto, can anyone tell me the usual weight time for international passengers at MCO?

I am hoping i can leave the ship and pass customs by 8am, and have the shuttle pick me up to insure arrival at MCO at 8:45-9am. Considering this scenario does play out in my favor, is the 1.5hr enough to check in? :eek:

thanks in advance for any replies.

The freedom of the seas arrives at port on a Sunday morning at 7am. Will i make a 10:30 am flight?

I have been on 2 cruises and brought my luggage out on my own on both occasions. If i were to notify the staff that i have a early morning flight, and be first in line when the first bunch of passengers leave, can i make my 10:30 am flight?

Reading the forums tells me it is a good 45min drive from port to MCO. Is it safe to assume traffic accidents are a rarity on the straight shoot to MCO on Sunday mornings?

In addition, i will be traveling back to Toronto, can anyone tell me the usual weight time for international passengers at MCO?

I am hoping i can leave the ship and pass customs by 8am, and have the shuttle pick me up to insure arrival at MCO at 8:45-9am. Considering this scenario does play out in my favor, is the 1.5hr enough to check in? :eek:

thanks in advance for any replies.

Too many things have to go absolutely without a hitch or a delay for this scenario to turn out well.

If I were a Canadian, there is no way that I would book a 10:30 A.M. flight out of MCO.

It's possible if everything goes perfectly. We got off the ship on June 28th. We did express departure and were about the 10th persons off. Went through customs quickly and didn't have to wait for luggage. We took a hotel shuttle back to our car and were on our way quickly. We dropped a friend at the airport about 9:00. So, it's possible, but will the shuttle wait at the port until it fills up? Don't know about what time you have to arrive at the airport for an international flight. Good luck.

I agree...too many things could happen (ie, if there is any hitch along the way, it could mean an easy 15 minute or more delay). When we were on Freedom last week, they began calling departure numbers around 7:30. We left the MDR shortly after our number was called, about 9:00. Now we did have to pick up our luggage and my husband had to get our car from parking, but we weren't driving away until 10:00. So, I think that meant that going through customs probably took 15 - 30 minutes. Don't you need to be at the airport 1 1/2 hours before your flight? I guess it is possible, I just don't think I would chance it. Would it be a big deal if you missed that flight? Are there other flights later that day? Good luck and enjoy Freedom! This was one of our favorite cruises.

There are reasons why those morning flights from MCO are so available.

Main reason is cruise guests are booked into the most do-able flights that day.

That's too far to go, too early , for me . I'd be worrying about making that flight for the entire cruise.:(

I would never take that risk. While you can make it if everything goes smoothy, ships sometimes arrive late, customs can be slow to clear the ship for debarkation even if the ship arrives on time, hundreds of people try to be "first" off, traffic can occur even on a Sunday if there is construction or an accident, and/or the lines at the airport could be long. Most (if not all) travel insurance policies do not provide coverage in such instances (i.e. in order for travel insurance to help you if you miss the flight, you would need a very lengthy delay to have occurred). And the airline may make you purchase new tickets if you miss your flight; they do not have to let you fly free on a later flight if you miss your flight. There are a lot of potential negative consequences of missing your flight and a very real chance of that occurring. Be safe and book an afternoon flight.

I would first like to thank everyone for their helpful reply. A 730 disembarkment plus the long wait at mco indicated by some forum members, 1030 seems like a long shot. Would a 11am flight give me the needed time? The flights between Florida airports and Toronto are easily 3/5 the cost of the total trip price and the 1030 flight is quite inexpensive at 300.

I was wondering what is the quickest method to mco. Rcl shuttles will not depart until they are full so I can cross that off my list. Renting a car is something I would like to avoid.

We made an 11:15am flight but it was a domestic flight. What are your airlines requirements for checking in for your flight to Toronto? Aren't you supposed to be checked in 2 hours prior for an international flight?

If you are going to try to make a 10:30 flight, you will need to use private transportation. You don't have time for a shuttle to fill or the extra time to get to the car rental agency. We had arranged for a private towncar service to pick us up at 8am. He was there around 7:30 and called us to let us know. We were getting our luggage at the time and were also early so we were on the road before 8am. You could do self disembark to get off even earlier but we had too many bags to get into that mayhem.

We also had a plan B. We had a list of the other flights that were available that day and the airline phone numbers with us. We also knew that we did not need to be home that day as my DH had the next day off so if we were stuck, we could have dealt with it.

Personally, I would try for a later flight. We had originally booked an afternoon flight which Delta had cancelled prior to our cruise leaving us with a choice of the 11:15am flight or a 7pm flight. We chose to roll the dice and we won, YMMV.

I think they prefer you to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. The minmum check in time is 30min prior to departure for international flights. Assuming i get off at 8:30, and arrive at MCO at 9:30. I should be able to make the 11:05 flight no?

We made an 11:15am flight but it was a domestic flight. What are your airlines requirements for checking in for your flight to Toronto? Aren't you supposed to be checked in 2 hours prior for an international flight?

If you are going to try to make a 10:30 flight, you will need to use private transportation. You don't have time for a shuttle to fill or the extra time to get to the car rental agency. We had arranged for a private towncar service to pick us up at 8am. He was there around 7:30 and called us to let us know. We were getting our luggage at the time and were also early so we were on the road before 8am. You could do self disembark to get off even earlier but we had too many bags to get into that mayhem.

We also had a plan B. We had a list of the other flights that were available that day and the airline phone numbers with us. We also knew that we did not need to be home that day as my DH had the next day off so if we were stuck, we could have dealt with it.

Personally, I would try for a later flight. We had originally booked an afternoon flight which Delta had cancelled prior to our cruise leaving us with a choice of the 11:15am flight or a 7pm flight. We chose to roll the dice and we won, YMMV.

It's possible if everything goes perfectly. We got off the ship on June 28th. We did express departure and were about the 10th persons off. Went through customs quickly and didn't have to wait for luggage. We took a hotel shuttle back to our car and were on our way quickly. We dropped a friend at the airport about 9:00. So, it's possible, but will the shuttle wait at the port until it fills up? Don't know about what time you have to arrive at the airport for an international flight. Good luck.

Do you remember when you entered the line? I am assuming you were ready at the lobby even before they started calling the express check outs?

The lines to go thru security at MCO on Sunday Morning can be LONG.

How does the customs clearance work at MCO? Do all the departing paanager of all ships get funnel into a large area? Or is it sectioned off, where 1 area services 1 ship. If i was to be at the ships lobby at 6am waiting for the door to open, i can probably avoid such long line ups right?

I think they prefer you to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. The minmum check in time is 30min prior to departure for international flights. Assuming i get off at 8:30, and arrive at MCO at 9:30. I should be able to make the 11:05 flight no?

What airline are you flying? Have you actually checked their website? I don't know of any airline who has a minimum check in time of 30 minutes for an international flight. Some airlines actually have different requirements based on the airport you are flying from.

What airline are you flying? Have you actually checked their website? I don't know of any airline who has a minimum check in time of 30 minutes for an international flight. Some airlines actually have different requirements based on the airport you are flying from.

Yes, i should check the sites to be 100% sure. I read some threads with your replies and they were quite helpful. I might just book a early evening flight back to MCO. Do you think a 11am arrival is early enough for a 4:30 departure on the freedom? Or am i on the tight rope again? :(

Yes, i should check the sites to be 100% sure. I read some threads with your replies and they were quite helpful. I might just book a early evening flight back to MCO. Do you think a 11am arrival is early enough for a 4:30 departure on the freedom? Or am i on the tight rope again? :(

You really have to check. I looked at Air Canada, their recommended check in is 90 minutes prior, their latest is 60 minutes for baggage dropoff and checkin.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/checkin.html

As far as the flight in, we prefer to fly in day before because of unexpected delays, especially if this is a winter cruise. With an 11am arrival, you are cutting it close because of customs and luggage. Plus, how are you getting to the port? If you are getting a rental car, that will add time, both getting the car and returning it. If you are going to have private transportation waiting for you, that will save lots of time.

You also have to worry about getting to the port and being checked in by 3pm for a 4:30pm departure. At Port Canaveral, they will close the gate and you won't even make to to the terminal to check in. They are very strict since they have to turn the final manifest in to Homeland Security.

Personally, I would try to build a little wiggle room on both ends of your trip.:)

I would steer away from the 11 am flight as well. When you try to check in on RCI's website, it will likely tell you now flights before noon. With customs at the port, you do not clear until you are off the ship, waiting in the lobby likely won't help as RCI will likely sho you away. There will be one agent for non US citizens and a good number for US citizens. If there are a lot of non US people getting off at the same time, it will be a bottle neck. Shoot for a noon flight and have a nice vacation. We did an 11:00 flight and did walkoff last year. The only reason we made our flight as US residents was because we left our rental car at the port. If we had waited for a shuttle or counted on a car service to pick us up it would have been dicey.

I would steer away from the 11 am flight as well. When you try to check in on RCI's website, it will likely tell you now flights before noon. With customs at the port, you do not clear until you are off the ship, waiting in the lobby likely won't help as RCI will likely sho you away. There will be one agent for non US citizens and a good number for US citizens. If there are a lot of non US people getting off at the same time, it will be a bottle neck. Shoot for a noon flight and have a nice vacation. We did an 11:00 flight and did walkoff last year. The only reason we made our flight as US residents was because we left our rental car at the port. If we had waited for a shuttle or counted on a car service to pick us up it would have been dicey.

We didn't want the extra expensive of a rental car for a week plus parking for the week so we went with a private towncar which is more expensive than a shuttle but less than the rental and parking. We also had a plan B for that part of our trip too.:D;) Had the car not been there when he was supposed to be, we would have called and asked his ETA. If it was unacceptable, we would have spent the $100-$200 it would have cost us for a taxi to MCO. We had cash set aside just in case so we weren't delayed with a credit card with a taxi.

We didn't want the extra expensive of a rental car for a week plus parking for the week so we went with a private towncar which is more expensive than a shuttle but less than the rental and parking. We also had a plan B for that part of our trip too.:D;) Had the car not been there when he was supposed to be, we would have called and asked his ETA. If it was unacceptable, we would have spent the $100-$200 it would have cost us for a taxi to MCO. We had cash set aside just in case so we weren't delayed with a credit card with a taxi.

Ours was just a 3 nighter and the rental plus parking was far less than finding other means of transportation.

Do you remember when you entered the line? I am assuming you were ready at the lobby even before they started calling the express check outs?

For the express departure they told us to be there by 7:00 so we would be ready to leave at 7:30. We got there about 6:45 so we were near the front of the line. We were on the Monarch and the express departure was in the deck 4 dining room. By the time we started to depart, the line looped all the way to the other door. It was very easy to depart as the exit was right outside the dining room door. We got to get off at the expected time, but I have been on cruises when there were problems and first groups left the ship at 11.

Archived