bad luck

So today I stepped off my steps wrong and sprained my ankle. I now have a boot to wear. I am just glad it isn't broken. I am going on the Liberty in Aug. I have books sing ray city and the zip line in Labadee. I wanted to know if anyone has done either of these with a sprained ankle? I will be bumbed if I have to cancel them.

Thank!

Just be VERY careful until your cruise...a sprain can take longer to heal than a break! At least, you'll be able to take the boot off when sunning!

You've got time....you'll be ok! Just pamper it until your sail date!

i sprained my ankle ten years ago, and its been weak ever since and started gettting arthritis in it (im now 25) and last march i sprained it worse than before as it was already badly weakened. I have had an operation in january on it and im currently in plaster recovering from the second more severe operation.

Rest it and elevate it as much as you can, you might find the zip line will cause stress on it but the sting ray one should be ok.

Only you will know if it feels strong enough, make sure you do the excersises your doctor gives you too!

My cruise is in November but I am still going to be on crutches/ using a wheelchair then. The recovery from this op is a year, so take care of yourself or end up like me!!

I would not even consider the zip line with a bad ankle especially if one happens to be a large person. I did it in Alaska and did sprain my ankle. Don't take the chance. You can really get moving on them. I loved it but when you come in for a landing going 500 mph with only a guide with a dear in the headlights look and a large tree to stop you .. well you get the idea.

Have fun with the sting rays instead.

mark

Too bad we don't really drink. I did get a good laugh though!:D

The bad part is I have 2 weeks of vacation planned for the next two weeks starting Sunday in Vegas. At least that's a conference so I can stay off my foot some. The following week is the beach. I guess I'll just be hobbling on the beach and then parking it on my beach chair. I can't wait for this cruise. It is the first one in 4 years. I am glad it wasn't broke. Like someone said. I can take the boot off!

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Don't take the chance.

As disappointing as it might be, I agree. The ankle is quite fragile and you don't want to risk compunding the injury.

I hope you heal nicely, enjoy your cruise and have something to look forward to for your next one!

You may want to see what if any physical therapy home exercises your physician willl allow you to do to strengthen your muscles while you heal.

Take ziploc bags or ice bag you can fill with ice/water slurry from your cabin attendant to ice your ankle in your cabin or poolside. Get extra pillows to elevate your ankle to reduce swelling. The minibar will not work for ice packs-- I tried that once.

If you are wearing an aircast, try to get a length of stockingette that docs use under plaster casts to wear under the aircast. Heat will cause you to sweat & the stockingette will prevent that.

Good luck

So today I stepped off my steps wrong and sprained my ankle. I now have a boot to wear. I am just glad it isn't broken. I am going on the Liberty in Aug. I have books sing ray city and the zip line in Labadee. I wanted to know if anyone has done either of these with a sprained ankle? I will be bumbed if I have to cancel them.

Thank!

We did the zip-line in Labadee last year. If you are still in the "boot", I'd be surprised if they let you past the initial check-in point. Before you even get your harness and instructions, you have to sign health waivers and get weighed-in. Even if the boot is no longer an issue, you have to climb steep steps up to a platform at the "take-off" point. So, you might want to save Dragon's Flightline for another cruise -- sorry! :(

I'd give up on the zip line this time out, but that sea water therapy is the bomb!:p And....you might be eligible for an accessable cabin, I'd inquire about it. Would sure be easier to handle your boot and/or crutches/wheelchair in a larger cabin/bath.

Nothing like a sprain or break will keep me off a cruise, even if I had to just sit on my balcony all the time.:D

Thank!

If I had the same, I would stay with sting Ray city and drop the zip line.

I had a sprained ankle during a cruise five years ago. I tried the Stingray City tour but I was moved around by the water as I hopped around on one foot. I was afraid to step on a stingray so I didn't spend much time in the water. The rest of the family had a good time though! We were also at the Atlantis but I obviously didn't go down the slides, etc. Just remember, things could always be worse!

I sprained my ankle 1 week ago today. We were at an Arts & Crafts & decided to get something to eat. We were standing in the hot sun for 10 - 15 minutes. My eyes went funny. Saw some shade next to us behind another stand. Was there when my eyes went funny again. Decided to sit on the curb. As I was going to sit, I fell. I hit my head & twisted my left ankle. Everyone came rushing to me. Then my husband saw me. They gave me water & a cold paper towels for my neck. It helped. Sat for a while, & decided to go home. Couldn't walk far, & the sun made me feel funny again. Saw a folding chair in the shade so sat there. My husband got the car, & we went home.

Went to the doctor. Took X-rays & found out it was a sprain. So glad it wasn't broken. He said I had Heat Exhaustion & to drink lots of water the next time. He gave me an Ankle Brace which I use for 1 more week. Some of the swelling is down now so it's feeling a little better.

We go on the Liberty of the Seas on July 25. I will be very careful & drinks lots of water.

Gail

Archived