How early do you start planning a cruise?

We usually book at least 18 months in advance so that we can get the cabin we want.

Booked in June for September 2011 and for once we didn't get one of several cabins that we like. Oh well -- that's the break.

The cruise we booked last week is 13 months away and we did not get our first choice cabin but took the one next door. It's fine but we usually have a cabin with the bed facing forward but the one we booked faces aft. Been a long time since we had one like that.

:confused: What is "TWT"? It is so hard to decipher all the abbreviations these days. :o Thanks.

Tundra Wilderness Tour - a bus tour into Denali National Park, Alaska. For some reason (actually, I'm sure it's to make $$$$$), Princess is now including just the worthless Natural History Tour with their cruisetours.

We always starting planning around 12 months ahead. We start saving so we have everything paid for before the cruise. We are now saving for the Western Mediterranean in Sept 2011.We have the trip booked and our deposit is paid, you just have to ask yourself before you spend, Do I really need to buy this or should I save it for the cruise? For me the cruise usually wins.

We usually book within a year since we can't usually plan too far in advance. We booked our May cruise (2011) last month. I would say this is the earliest we have gone. Usually it is about nine months.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to book a year in advance but now we look for sales and sometimes there isn't much time -- we booked one of our Alaska cruises 5 weeks before sailing.

We just finished booking a 20 day South America/Antarctica cruise last week for Christmas/New Years this year so thats about 5 months out. But we've also booked an African Safari for next June - so it really depends on how much we really want to go somewhere as to how early we book.

With cruising we generally book a guarantee -- we don't spend much time in the cabin so we aren't too worried about where we are -- so long as we're on the ship and have a bed to sleep in!

For us the timing of the booking depends on whether we want a specific cabin or if the cruise company is offering large early booking discounts. It is often not a lot of $$ to secure your preferred cabin way ahead - you should considering doing this to lock in a hugely discounted price. You need of course to be aware of the cancellation fees which are often not too onerous in the event you cancel - especially before the penalties kick in.

Then you can continue to plan and save for something that is already locked in.

Wow, I did not realize it was normal to start planning three years in advance. (Initially, I had planned for 2012, but that changed last month.) Apparently, I am not as weird as a number of CC members tried to me me look, even if I am doing it backwards. :)

By the way, I am leaning toward Princess (probably the Grand or Ruby) first because a Crystal cruise is out of my budget and I finally accept the fact that luxury can wait until I retire.

We have cruised both............Princess and Crystal.................Princess is wonderful.........perhaps a difference in the size of the ship.............but still wonderful and many things to do plus dining in the specialty restaurants equals the dining on Crystal. I am always planning cruises and love CC boards for ideas and the reviews etc. Dreaming about Australia and NZ............:>)

Being retired, we are booked through April 2012. Waiting to book something for the fall of 2012.

We have nearly 40 cruises, so we know what we want, just wait for the bookings to open up.

my wife and i always book as soon as the itinerary opens up. (usually 18 to 26 months ahead) this way you get to pick the room you want and the prices are the best. we had 10 cruises booked ahead thru april 2012. for us, this is the only way to do it.

.. and we have enough money saved. If it is cruise we have done several times before (Western and Eastern Caribbean), just find the ship and cabin we want... no brand loyality although I enjoy the Freedom and Voyager class on RCCL

Anyway, if we are stopping at Cozumel or St Thomas, or Nassau for the nth time, I don't bother planning anything, we rarely get off the ship there anymore

However, for our once-in-a-lifetime cruise from Rio to Valpariso, I was a planning fool. We pretty much know what we wanted to to at each stop, but, left ourselves some flexability to just wing it if the spirit moved us.

But, flights, hotels, tour guides, passports and visas, yellow fever shots... I left nothing to chance

• 3 months later...

We just got back from the Carnival Dream September 25 -October 2, 2010, and now I am booking for September 25th on the Carnival Legend, then looking for a cruise for family December 2012. Always surf the sights:)

Archived