Coco Cay end of Sept....

I will be on Coco Cay ( fingers crossed ) Sept 29th I think and Ive read that there can be allot of Jellyfish there. Can anyone shed any light if or when they are there? I thought earlier in Aug maybe, but I am not sure.

Your thoughts..?

Aug and Sep tends to be jellyfish spawning time. It has nothing to do with temperature or currents. This can vary by a month or so depending on that year's weather. You tend to see a lot more jellyfish during that time period in the shallower water because of the abundant food source. The most visible tend to be the large, pink Moon jellyfish. They are not so bad. You may also see a few more man-o-wars than normal. These guys float on the surface with tentacles hanging down, and are the ones you really don't want to touch.

The Bahamas have a lot of upside-down jellies. They sit on the bottom in shallow water. These guys are always present. They are round and look like plant life. They are not especially painful to touch, but they are easily stepped on.

I will be on Coco Cay ( fingers crossed ) Sept 29th I think and Ive read that there can be allot of Jellyfish there. Can anyone shed any light if or when they are there? I thought earlier in Aug maybe, but I am not sure.

Your thoughts..?

Saw tons of jellyfish last September and a small shark in shallow water.

They were there Sept. 08 when we were on Mariner but not enough to keep people out of the water. In July/Aug on our Majesty B2B Todd was stung by one and I saw several in the water took this pic:

v41f6v.jpg

But they are small and there was not a lot of them. The sting was not bad and went away completely after applying the vinegar they give you at the first aid station. An adult can handle it, but a small child may not tolerate this very well!:( I was never stung and I had on a tshirt.

Folks this is the ocean, a lot critters call it their home. I live on the beach and it is possible to find Jellyfish anyware in the Ocean at any time. The one pictured is a Moon Jellyfish it really doesn't sting but it can make some people's skin burn. What you have to watch out for are Man-O-War jellyfish easily recognized by their Blue sail and long hanging stingers. I am sure if you Google them you can find photos.

Archived