Suite question

almostready

It's best to send you directly to the Princess website for this question, all your answers can be found here as to what the difference in amenities are between mini suites and full suites on princess. (but there has been another perk added to the full suite list since this was published, and that is breakfast for full suite guests only at Sabatinis during the cruise).

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na828&submit=pk

It took me 25 Princess cruises to get that mythical upgrade from a mini to a full suite, just last May. And the suite they upgraded me to I would have traded for an inside cabin as it was so noisey 24/7, it was intolerable (I can see why a paying passenger wouldn't book it). :( So, be careful what you wish for. ;)

My first Princess cruise I was upgraded from a Mini to a Vista Suite. Once you get to Vista there is no difference except size. I love the Vista since they are aft and no noise problems as some have mentioned on Riveria deck I believe, under pool.

In terms of benefits, my favorite is breakfast at Sabatini's. There is also free laundry and internet. Thermal Suite access if the ship has a thermal suite. Sometimes some special invites to art auctions, sales etc. Formal night goodies in the cabin. Can order off dinner menu. Priorty tenderding, if you tender to any ports. I'm sure I forgot several, but those are the biggies for me.

Toto2kansas, What suite catagory did you have, ship and location of suite? We had noise all night long on the Ruby recently in a PS aft Aloha deck. We loved the balcony and are doing a 7 day cruise next and booked the same suite -even though lots of noise. VS is next to a balcony and worried kids could be next door and be noisy. Your thoughts please.

Thank you,

Seadeck2

It was a PS category suite on Riviera Deck. Some of the older Grand-class ships have the PS category on Caribe deck, and they're great. The newer ships moved them to Riviera deck and there can be a tremendous amount of noise early in the morning from the chairs and tables on the Lido deck. It starts about 6:01 AM when the pool crew starts setting up and the early risers go outside to eat their breakfast.

Toto2kansas, What suite catagory did you have, ship and location of suite? We had noise all night long on the Ruby recently in a PS aft Aloha deck. We loved the balcony and are doing a 7 day cruise next and booked the same suite -even though lots of noise. VS is next to a balcony and worried kids could be next door and be noisy. Your thoughts please.

Thank you,

Seadeck2

We were upgraded to a PH suite on Riviera directly under the pools and ping pong tables on the Emerald..............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This wasn't 'lots of noise', but earth shattering noise all but a few hours between 1-2AM and about 5AM. It was nice to finally get home and be able to sleep, I can definitely say that, as there was very little sleeping for 7 days (thankfully it was only a 7 day cruise).

We had booked PH suites in the past on the regular Grand Class Ships and they were lovely, but the location on the modified Grand Class is the worst! :(

And the suite they upgraded me to I would have traded for an inside cabin as it was so noisey 24/7, it was intolerable (I can see why a paying passenger wouldn't book it). :( So, be careful what you wish for. ;)

What kind of noisy - engine, neighbors, balcony, hallway, etc.? Thanks.

What kind of noisy - engine, neighbors, balcony, hallway, etc.? Thanks.

People running from above constantly (that sounded like they were wearing steal soled shoes), ping pong games long into the night (even though the tables are supposed to be open from 8 AM to 8 PM, passengers bring their own paddles and balls and it was nothing for them to have a private tournament at 1:00 AM.) We actually got dressed one night at midnight to go upstairs to see what was causing all the noise. Yep, a ping pong game with 4 college kids that continued until 1:00 AM even though we explained to them that our bed was right under the ping pong table and the tables were supposed to close at 8 PM. This happened probably 5 nights out of 7 after midnight.

The only way I can actually describe it is that it sounded like a herd of elephants running across the ceiling all but a few hours in the wee hours of the morning. Even on the balcony, we thought the roof was going to fall in at any moment.

I had described it when we returned, but was a bit gentle about the words I used. Then someone else returned a month later that had similar accomodations in a PH on the same deck and posted that I under exaggerated the noise level they put up with. Yes, it was that horrible and then some. As said, I would take an inside cabin before I would ever stay in one of these PH suites on the modified grand class ships again.

During the day, you can put up with the noise, although it was so bad at times it was difficult to even have a conversation in the suite because of it. But the sleeping hours was the worst part. :mad:

As said, I would take an inside cabin before I would ever stay in one of these PH suites on the modified grand class ships again.

I guess you really have proved that sometimes those who yearn for a true upgrade may be sorry they got their wish.

I guess you really have proved that sometimes those who yearn for a true upgrade may be sorry they got their wish.

bill, you sure have that statement right. After waiting all these years for the upgrade fairy to visit..................what a let down. :(

Thankfully, we normally book full suites in the category we enjoy and mark our bookings 'do not upgrade', but for that cruise only being 7 days we decided to try our luck with a mini, we checked our AA mini suite and left it available for upgrades. We will NEVER do that again.............we learned our lesson, and it was a hard lesson learned for 7 long days and nights. ;)

My first Princess cruise I was upgraded from a Mini to a Vista Suite. Once you get to Vista there is no difference except size. I love the Vista since they are aft and no noise problems as some have mentioned on Riveria deck I believe, under pool.

In terms of benefits, my favorite is breakfast at Sabatini's. There is also free laundry and internet. Thermal Suite access if the ship has a thermal suite. Sometimes some special invites to art auctions, sales etc. Formal night goodies in the cabin. Can order off dinner menu. Priorty tenderding, if you tender to any ports. I'm sure I forgot several, but those are the biggies for me.

We've had two on Rivera deck. We didn't notice much noise, but really didn't like the narrow" balcony.....:(:(:(

Bob

We've had two on Rivera deck. We didn't notice much noise, but really didn't like the narrow" balcony.....:(:(:(

Bob

Bob, that was definitely another drawback to these PH suites on the modified grand class (especially in comparison to the PH suites on the normal grand class ships). Darn, I really need to remember to download the pictures I took, they are still on the camera......... :o

Bob, that was definitely another drawback to these PH suites on the modified grand class (especially in comparison to the PH suites on the normal grand class ships). Darn, I really need to remember to download the pictures I took, they are still on the camera......... :o

4032476955_4a9c632ed3.jpg

4032476959_8af15317cb.jpg

This is R408 from the Ruby (yes I took the pictures;)). The upgraded furniture seemed quite crowded. Are the PH balconies on the regular grand class ships bigger....

Bob

Bob, I just looked through my online albums and thought I had a picture of the Grand Princess PH balcony there, but I can't seem to find one. But the answer to your question is OH YEA! The balcony on the Grand in a PH suite is probably two or three times deeper than those on the modified Grand Class ships, and about the same length. They have a full sized table and four chairs, two padded lounge chairs and the lounges sit facing the ocean, not parallel to the balcony, with still room to move around. I will keep looking, I know I have a picture somewhere of that balcony on the Grand............... ;)

Edited, not the best picture, but if you look closely, you can see that the Grand had a much deeper balcony.

2884335880046132864S500x500Q85.jpg

bill, you sure have that statement right. After waiting all these years for the upgrade fairy to visit..................what a let down. :(

Thankfully, we normally book full suites in the category we enjoy and mark our bookings 'do not upgrade', but for that cruise only being 7 days we decided to try our luck with a mini, we checked our AA mini suite and left it available for upgrades. We will NEVER do that again.............we learned our lesson, and it was a hard lesson learned for 7 long days and nights. ;)

Just curious, what ship and what suite were you upgraded to.....

Bob

That picture of Bob's looks like the balcony we had on our suite C750 while on The Emerald in February.

From these pics, it is apparent that suite balcony sizes took a beating when they designed the modified grand class ships.:(

Mike:)

The Emerald Princess R411 PH suite.

That's one heck of an upgrade. Too bad you had such a bad experience. On our two cruises (Ruby/Emerald) wherein we had PH suites, I noted the noise but it rreally didn't bother me. Do you think it was because you were on the starnoard side v port side?

Bob

Bob, I think it was where this suite was located. Directly under the ping pong tables and the small walkway outside of the restrooms.

But, I had a friend receive an upgrade to one on the port side, about the same location, and her's was just as noisey as ours was, minus the ping pong tables of course. lol

But for us, it was bad enough, noise wise, that I would never accept even an upgrade to a PH suite again on this class of ship. But then, there probably won't be much chance of that as we don't plan on booking anymore cruises on the modified grand class, just too many passengers for the space they provide IMHO.

We were upgraded to a PH suite on Riviera directly under the pools and ping pong tables on the Emerald..............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This wasn't 'lots of noise', but earth shattering noise all but a few hours between 1-2AM and about 5AM. It was nice to finally get home and be able to sleep, I can definitely say that, as there was very little sleeping for 7 days (thankfully it was only a 7 day cruise).

We had booked PH suites in the past on the regular Grand Class Ships and they were lovely, but the location on the modified Grand Class is the worst! :(

No exaggerating there !!!!! I was luckier I got the Riviera noise for 14 days --even when the noise wasn't too bad--I thought I could always hear someone stomping about in hi-heel shoes--Only a couple of good thing with this upgrade--Breakfast at Sabatinis--free internet --plus the other perks---this was an upgrade from an AA I believe--go for the AA.

Nancy:D

That's one heck of an upgrade. Too bad you had such a bad experience. On our two cruises (Ruby/Emerald) wherein we had PH suites, I noted the noise but it rreally didn't bother me. Do you think it was because you were on the starnoard side v port side?

Bob

Gotta try it on the Crown or Emerald--maybe the wrong side of the ship---never thought of that before--

Nancy:D

Archived