Trays in the Lido

Crusin-Suzan

Does anyone know if they will give someone a tray who is getting meals for 2 people?

i have MS and sometimes i have trouble standing in lines.

My husband and I like to sit by the pool and he will usually go get our lunch for us and bring it back.

I would hate to see him have to make 2 trips, but I suppose if that is what he has to do, I know he would never complain about it.

No they will not give you a tray.

But you can ask one of the crew working in the Lido to help your husband bring back 2 plates of food.

Hello, you folks missed the #1 reason for no longer having trays.......Norovirus (sp.) protection. The trays are never sterelized (only washed) and passengers touch them when they are left on the tables or picked up from the racks.

Did you also notice that on day 1 and day 2 of the cruise, the buffet utensils cannot be "touched" by the passengers. The restaurant crew is there to help you create your salads and scoop up food from the buffett to put on your plate. This prevents anyone newly boarding who is "infected" NOT TOUCH any food or utensils shared by others for the first 48 hours.

I respectfully disagree that is the primary reason they discontinued use of trays but perhaps Noro virus was one of the reasons??

Hello, you folks missed the #1 reason for no longer having trays.......Norovirus (sp.) protection. The trays are never sterelized (only washed) and passengers touch them when they are left on the tables or picked up from the racks. <snip>

Not true, trays were run through a "flight dishwasher" with a final rinse temp of 180°F which is sufficient to sanitize

the trays along with the utensils, plates, bowls, etc. (dishes are never sterilized, as this would require an autoclave :D )

<snip>I did pack a small tray which came in handy when I did a 'coffee run' for the whole family and bringing it to the aft pool area.

We can adjust to most things, if we want to. It's a cruise after all and we don't need to stress over anything.

I've thought about doing this, but don't want to stand out in the crowd & look foolish..I frequently get two glasses of water & two cups of coffee at the same time for DH & me...He or I usually stay with the chairs on the Promenade deck, while one or the other goes to get both water & coffee for us to enjoy on the Promenade deck.. Would HAL Stewards/Mgmt. frown on me for doing this?

:D We ALL got the information from someone in the know including Hotel Managers etc :) :D

Doesn't matter. Whatever the reason....... no more trays.

Sail, I think it was last year, when you mentioned that you might consider purchasing & taking your own tray....Have you ever done this? If so did Mgmt look askance when you showed up with it & what was the size/weight of your tray?

I have a very small tray ( 6 1/2 X 10 1/2)which would just hold two glasses of water & 2 cups of coffee & wonder if I should take it..

Would like to know if others have taken & used their own trays?

Cheers....:)Betty

I bought two trays on line that were really too big to take on the plane. When I was at the Dollar Tree I found a round plastic tray/plate that measures 12in. in diameter with a coffee cup hole on the side. I bought two and will use these to take food to our table. We don't eat much for breakfast so when we don't have room service or eat in the PG we'll use these. They are light weight and I always carry lysol wipes with me so I will clean them. I also use a cane most times so these will help. Also when going to the NL I never can carry tea, coffee, etc. back to the cabin so again these will help.:)

I agree with Sail, we can do without the big trays but not our choice.:( Not everyone takes too much food and wastes it, can't judge everyone the same.

I bought two trays on line that were really too big to take on the plane. When I was at the Dollar Tree I found a round plastic tray/plate that measures 12in. in diameter with a coffee cup hole on the side. I bought two and will use these to take food to our table. We don't eat much for breakfast so when we don't have room service or eat in the PG we'll use these. They are light weight and I always carry lysol wipes with me so I will clean them. I also use a cane most times so these will help. Also when going to the NL I never can carry tea, coffee, etc. back to the cabin so again these will help.:)

I agree with Sail, we can do without the big trays but not our choice.:( Not everyone takes too much food and wastes it, can't judge everyone the same.

That's true. And people still can waste food without having a tray to facilitate it.

I remember the old days of the big midnight buffets. I used to go for a snack, usually a piece of cake and a glass of milk before bedtime. I would see people with plates piled high with food--roast beef, shrimp, all sorts of stuff. I would wonder how they could manage to eat so much, especially cosidering the nice dinners we had. Then, one night I guess I got there later than usual. I looked at some of the abandoned tables, and the food that was left was just a sin. That's when I realized that a lot of the people with the full plates weren't eating the food. They were just taking it, probably because they felt they'd paid for it. (But the money is spent whether you waste food or not, so why waste it???)

For all the reasons posted, we tend to avoid the Lido for breakfast. Our main reason is the waiting for a table. People are finished with their meal and will sit forever just gazing out the window, or drinking coffee reading, etc., while folks mill around looking for somewhere to sit with their food getting colder by the minute. For some reason, this does not seem as prevelant at lunchtime.

We love breakfast in the MDR or in the Pinnacle when we are in a deluxe suite. Room service is always a good option since you can order a full HOT breakfast on HAL - not just a continental breakfast as on most other cruise lines - even on the morning of debarkation. Another great HAL perk!

PS: No trays on Princess, either.

I bought a couple of trays to appease my SIL on the last cruise but we never used/needed them.

I can understand not wanting to make a return trip from out by the pool but if I was going to carry cups and glasses, I think I'd be sure I had some of that non-slip shelf "stuff" on the tray so things didn't slide around; I can slip on the spots on the floor...........not very graceful!:eek:

PS: No trays on Princess, either.

The difference is that Princess has large oval plates. It much easier to fit everything you need on one plate. I also find that Princess is VERY good at bringing drinks (coffee, water etc.) to your table. In my experience HAL doesn't. I really don't mind the buffet on Princess. On HAL it's something I avoid.

Yes, I have taken a tray on 3 cruises now and the other passengers were envious and many asked where I got it.

The staff were very supportive and encouraged me to use the tray all the time - sometimes I would leave it behind if we only wanted a salad and they always asked where my tray was.

My tray is about 20 inches, clear acrylic and very light - I can get our whole breakfast on the tray which is the meal that is a problem with juice, fruit, yoghurt for me and cereal, toast, egg and juice for DH and if DH is in a lot of pain and can't walk, I can handle the whole thing on my own.

Would like to know if others have taken & used their own trays?

I have, and will continue to do so. My first trayless cruise was in 2/09, and I was able to get one from the Lido Manager. But by the 11/09 cruise I was left to struggle too many times. So, last cruise I brought a tray that's the same size/weight as the ones HAL used to supply.

It works as a good divider in my suitcase, too. :D

I'm not going to be making 4-5 trips back and forth to assemble a meal. I will not do that extra walking. :mad: I've learned to pick things up on the way by, just to save steps, and some days get my 2nd choice breakfast, just so I don't have to walk all the way to the aft of the Lido.

Last cruise I sat and watched a musician hunting and gathering. He made 4 or 5 trips. While he was away on the last hunting expedition, the steward started to "clean up" his place. Had I not spoken up, the guy would have had to start all over again. :eek:

I respectfully accept your comments about Norovirus not being the #1 reason, but I did get this "answer" from someone in the KNOW (Branco - the Lido Mgr on the Prinsendam).
I haven't gotten any inside dope from anyone, but my opinion is that the reasons were:

1 Reduce food waste

2 Eliminate washing costs

3 Reduce Noro

I was never on a cruise back when they had trays when there was a Code Red. Did they take all the trays away during them? If not, I'd say you could scratch reason #3 entirely.

I was never on a cruise back when they had trays when there was a Code Red. Did they take all the trays away during them? If not, I'd say you could scratch reason #3 entirely.

My 2/09 cruise was my first cruise that was under code red. It started out under that code, although I don't know if it was precautionary or not. It was before the routine precautionary semi-code red.

That's also my first cruise with no tray. And it's the one where I was given a tray on the second morning.

We were still under code red when I got the tray.

snip ...I'm not going to be making 4-5 trips back and forth to assemble a meal. I will not do that extra walking. :mad: I've learned to pick things up on the way by, just to save steps...

Thank you! Every step 'matters' to me also. I need to do things a bit differently because of physical problems that are not readily noticible. So, if you meet me aboard and think I am simply being lazy, please stop making rude comments intentionally loud enough for me to hear...

Walter Payton would have appreciated it, and so do I.

Am I dense, for not understanding this...What does a pitcher of water have to do with a picture?

The post I quoted originally mentioned pictures of water, not pitchers. Well, then that post was edited ... making mine meaningless. So, no, you're not dense. Altho, pictures of water might make some of us thirsty:)

I bought a couple of trays to appease my SIL on the last cruise but we never used/needed them.

I can understand not wanting to make a return trip from out by the pool but if I was going to carry cups and glasses, I think I'd be sure I had some of that non-slip shelf "stuff" on the tray so things didn't slide around; I can slip on the spots on the floor...........not very graceful!:eek:

My small tray does have the non-slip shelf paper on it, as we used it on our sailboat..

Thanks Pokeynose, Juanita, & Ruth..Think I'll take my small tray on our Bermuda cruise....If it does work out & I don't feel too conspicuous, perhaps I'll get one which is a little larger to use on cruises where we drive to the port..

Cheers.....:)Betty

Not true, trays were run through a "flight dishwasher" with a final rinse temp of 180°F which is sufficient to sanitize

the trays along with the utensils, plates, bowls, etc. (dishes are never sterilized, as this would require an autoclave :D )

It seemed to me that trays were always quite warm when first brought out from the kitchen, so I'm inclined to think you're right about this. And 180 degrees F would definitely be hot enough to kill Norovirus (somewhere around 150 degrees actually does the trick).

I'm in the faction that finds the lack of trays annoying and inconvenient. Since it seems unlikely they are coming back, I'll add my thanks and appreciation for the comments and suggestions about using a bag, bringing a tray, etc.

But ultimately I've just accepted that breakfast and lunch in the Lido are going to be the most frustrating and least relaxing moments of the cruise. Not the end of the world, just not as good as it could be. :)

Hello, you folks missed the #1 reason for no longer having trays.......Norovirus (sp.) protection. The trays are never sterelized (only washed) and passengers touch them when they are left on the tables or picked up from the racks.

Did you also notice that on day 1 and day 2 of the cruise, the buffet utensils cannot be "touched" by the passengers. The restaurant crew is there to help you create your salads and scoop up food from the buffett to put on your plate. This prevents anyone newly boarding who is "infected" NOT TOUCH any food or utensils shared by others for the first 48 hours.

On my Alaska cruise in June on Zuidy, the staff doing all the serving (incl coffee and tea machines, croissants etc) worked well and people could not touch any serving utensil till the Tues morning. I am sure the "no trays" has to be a health thing and is working. (As well as cost saving on wasted food and washing dishes) There were oval platters too and they hold a lot.

Now, I get my cold stuff first and save a place at a table with my juice and cereal or croissants. Then I go get hot food if I want any. Once I worked out a system it is ok

Actually...... No fewer spills with me. :o

When they first started the trayless Lido concept, a server handed me a hot plate. It was soooo hot that I could not handle it and immediately dropped it. As he handed it over, he said 'hot plate'. Well great. His saying that did not make it cooler. If he knew it was so hot why did he hand it to me? It embarrassed me to be standing in a sloppy mess at my feet and a steward had to clean it up. I now refuse to accept a plate when the server says 'hot plate'. He means it when he says it and my hands cannot handle a very hot plate.

Actually...... No fewer spills with me. :o

When they first started the trayless Lido concept, a server handed me a hot plate. It was soooo hot that I could not handle it and immediately dropped it. As he handed it over, he said 'hot plate'. Well great. His saying that did not make it cooler. If he knew it was so hot why did he hand it to me? It embarrassed me to be standing in a sloppy mess at my feet and a steward had to clean it up. I now refuse to accept a plate when the server says 'hot plate'. He means it when he says it and my hands cannot handle a very hot plate.

Ouch! I forgot about the hot plate issue. So now in addition to trays, we need to pack hot mitts? I recommend the silion ones, as they're lightweight and not too bulky. :D

Seriously, someone could get burned, not just from the plate, but the hot food if it falls on you.

Just a stray thought. Do you think with people carrying less at a time there are fewer spills? A fully loaded Lido tray can get pretty heavy. Or would the lighter-load effect be offset by the increase in trips?
I would guess that there are more spills without trays becuase (a) people are trying to juggle several things at the same time - a loaded dinner plate in one hand and a drink or side plate in the other, and (b) holding stuff for a longer time. With the trays people left them on the rails while waiting at a second stop, while without them people tend to hold things in their hands.

Archived