Trays in the Lido

Crusin-Suzan

Is it true they have discontinued trays in the lido? Going on the westerdam next week and want to make sure. Thanks

They did this sometime last year. For us, it works. Staff is there to help and they will get you some of the beverages. Maybe one needs to make a few more trips if you want several items, but that ended up no problem for us anyway.

If it cuts down on food waste and water usage for washing, for those one or two extra trips to the buffet, I think it is ultimately a good way to shave money off operating costs, as well as a nod to the environment.

In fact, I think it makes the lines go faster too since people are not picking and choosing and picking and choosing all the way down the line. Now we just go in and get one thing we want, and are gone.

We were recently on the Noordam and we managed without trays. I would prefer trays but it is doable.

I have to walk with a cane and as soon as a waiter saw me he would carry my plate and find me a table. He would also get me anything else I wanted (bread, coffee etc).

A little story to show how helpful they are...

During the transatlantic crossing they changed the clocks at 2pm (instead of 2am). This meant there was no 2-3pm which is about the time we would eat lunch.

The progressive trivia was from 1-2 in Crows Nest and the lecture was at 3pm in the Vista Lounge - in other words directly after trivia finished. So we kept missing lunch.

One day, around 12.45 I went to the Lido to get a plate of food to take to the Crows Nest. When the waiter saw me he said "let me help you with that". I said I wasn't eating there but in the Crows Nest. He said no problem and carried my plate for me. Now that is service

When we were on the msRotterdam in January, they had a waiter going around with a tray of pitchers of iced water and iced tea. They also did this at breakfast with coffee or tea. In fact, on all our HAL cruises, I remember them having someone doing so.

When we were on the msRotterdam in January, they had a waiter going around with a tray of pitchers of iced water and iced tea. They also did this at breakfast with coffee or tea. In fact, on all our HAL cruises, I remember them having someone doing so.

And the pictures made you thirsty?:D

I not miss the tray, without tray you have even more space on your table to enjoy the food. The problem with tray's is that there are people who load every thing they see on the tray, even they could never finish all that food and that's waste.

No thank's, I do not want a Mc Donnald feeling on my cruise.

Trays came in very handy, especailly for breakfast

We found a solution that works fine. DW and I each have two of the little boxes of cereal. The HAL bag they give you holds our cereal, milk cartons, and bananas. That leaves our hands free to carry plates fruit and our water -- one trip -- nothing dropped.

We saw plenty of people drop things

Is it true they have discontinued trays in the lido? Going on the westerdam next week and want to make sure. Thanks

The trays in the lido were discontinued May 1st., 2009!

Actually, I have discovered that it works reasonably well without them, requiring a combination of planning & balance!

( I never thought that I could live without trays in the lido)!:)

I noticed on our recent Oosterdam cruise, that there were larger oval sized plates which held more at some stations. I too think that no trays moves things along. Did notice one man removing dirty dishes from a server's clean up tray and use that tray to get his food. Not too appealing to see while eating.

Am I dense, for not understanding this...What does a pitcher of water have to do with a picture?
My guess is that Love Cruises edited as camp637 was posting that.

We manage without them because we have to but my preference was to have use of a tray. Yes, it's workable but not my choice.

I'll put it more bluntly: not having trays is a pain! :p

They did this sometime last year. For us, it works. Staff is there to help and they will get you some of the beverages. Maybe one needs to make a few more trips if you want several items, but that ended up no problem for us anyway.

If it cuts down on food waste and water usage for washing, for those one or two extra trips to the buffet, I think it is ultimately a good way to shave money off operating costs, as well as a nod to the environment.

In fact, I think it makes the lines go faster too since people are not picking and choosing and picking and choosing all the way down the line. Now we just go in and get one thing we want, and are gone.

Can I get in line behind you? I always get behind the passenger who is making a career out of choosing fruit or assembling a salad. :(

It is true that giving up the trays cuts down on washing, but it did make for a few more trips back and forth. When we were together, it was fine. One of us did a run for the table. But when you're alone and have to go back for something, an overzealous cleaner may clear your space and another passenger will be in it. As the cruise went on, we got better at figuring out what we needed and where to get it before going to a table.

Another good thing about no trays is that it makes people take up less space, improving flow. People are less likely to bump you with a plate than a tray. With trays, when it gets crowded, people try to close up the line, and you end up with a tray pushed into your spine.

Can I get in line behind you? I always get behind the passenger who is making a career out of choosing fruit or assembling a salad. :(

I can't stand this. You're not deciding whether or not to pardon someone on death row, you're adding toppings to a sandwich. MAKE A CHOICE AND MOVE ON WITH IT!

I travel with 4 kids under 6. Can you imagine the glasses of water, milk, juice etc? We rarely eat in the Lido. Prefer MDR but when we stop by I bring my own tray from home. I throw it in the suitcase, then I throw it in my tote along with work books, crayons, drawing paper etc. Not heavy and so worth it.

I can't stand this. You're not deciding whether or not to pardon someone on death row, you're adding toppings to a sandwich. MAKE A CHOICE AND MOVE ON WITH IT!

:eek:LOL! Should I put the next strawberry here or over here? And, now this piece of pineapple, where would it look prettiest?

Guess there are still some people who KNOW cruising is for relaxing, but I don't want my food to get cold while you're deciding (yes, sometimes after I get a plate of steamed veggies I go back to the fruit station for some fruit for dessert ~ that strategy, however does NOT work. I still return to the bread pudding area;)).

On our last three, I've just not liked getting my hot food and then having to go pick up coffee, juice, iced tea, depending on the meal.

But, I'm SURE they save on food waste with no trays...........remember some of those "the world is ending and I must fortify myself quickly" trays you've seen in LIDO?

If new cruisers understood you don't have to STAY in line, but that there are stations, it would help..............but how are they to know when they've not been in LIDO?

Perhaps someone could show them the signs, etc. It's confusing for newbies.

Lido on the "S" ships is not as 'sectioned' as it is on Vista and Signature Class. For years, it was a straight buffet line and they've tried their best to section it but it isn't as evident as on the Vistas.

Just a case of that is how the Lido is set out and the space available.

:eek:LOL! Should I put the next strawberry here or over here? And, now this piece of pineapple, where would it look prettiest?

Guess there are still some people who KNOW cruising is for relaxing, but I don't want my food to get cold while you're deciding (yes, sometimes after I get a plate of steamed veggies I go back to the fruit station for some fruit for dessert ~ that strategy, however does NOT work. I still return to the bread pudding area;)).

On our last three, I've just not liked getting my hot food and then having to go pick up coffee, juice, iced tea, depending on the meal.

But, I'm SURE they save on food waste with no trays...........remember some of those "the world is ending and I must fortify myself quickly" trays you've seen in LIDO?

If new cruisers understood you don't have to STAY in line, but that there are stations, it would help..............but how are they to know when they've not been in LIDO?

Perhaps someone could show them the signs, etc. It's confusing for newbies.

On the last morning, you can tell who's been having breakfast in the MDR or room service. They go to the Lido on the last morning in order to make their departure time. By the end of the cruise, the regular denizens of the Lido have it all worked out. But the people who haven't been there are these little islands of confusion in the crowd. It's pretty funny, except when they're agonizing over strawberry selection or cutting in front of a waiting passenger because they don't know how the line runs.

Does anyone know if they will give someone a tray who is getting meals for 2 people?

i have MS and sometimes i have trouble standing in lines.

My husband and I like to sit by the pool and he will usually go get our lunch for us and bring it back.

I would hate to see him have to make 2 trips, but I suppose if that is what he has to do, I know he would never complain about it.

On our last cruise we were with a group of family members, so there was always someone to watch your plate while you went back for beverages or a forgotten item.

I did pack a small tray which came in handy when I did a 'coffee run' for the whole family and bringing it to the aft pool area.

We can adjust to most things, if we want to. It's a cruise after all and we don't need to stress over anything.

Hello, you folks missed the #1 reason for no longer having trays.......Norovirus (sp.) protection. The trays are never sterelized (only washed) and passengers touch them when they are left on the tables or picked up from the racks.

Did you also notice that on day 1 and day 2 of the cruise, the buffet utensils cannot be "touched" by the passengers. The restaurant crew is there to help you create your salads and scoop up food from the buffett to put on your plate. This prevents anyone newly boarding who is "infected" NOT TOUCH any food or utensils shared by others for the first 48 hours.

Archived