WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

Well, I am a Realtor, and absolutely no one thinks we deserve a price break, even though our profession has been among the hardest hit in these economic times; AND we get no perks of any kind, i.e. health insurance, pension, etc. But I am fine with that--if I do well, I can cruise; if I don't, I stay home and try harder.

However, my son is a firefighter who loves to cruise (his mom's boy) and I am thrilled that he gets some additional benefits for his chosen profession.

My other son just became a nurse (passed his nursing boards today--YAY!) and although he will work very hard, he won't get the bennies his brother gets. Will he complain about it?? No way. That's just the way life is.

This is kind of the same as the resident benefits that X offers. If they only offer them to people in Florida, I get a bit miffed; but when it's my turn, I love the idea. It's just Econ 101 for the cruise line, just like not having laundry facilities. Find the best deal that works for YOU and go for it!

I touched on this earlier, wondering why the mil discount is not offered more often. My conclusion was that it's partly based on economics, which in turn made me wonder what specific things would trigger it. And since it's not simply a matter of "Thank you for your brave service," (part of which it is), why not target other groups, such as teachers? This has nothing to do with who deserves what, but, as you point out, it's a business decision.

So, for everybody else, what is it about military, fire, and police, that would make their professions uniquiely (or, more accurately, triquiely) suited to being receptive to taking advantage of special prices? S. S. Cruisers alluded to a travel website that does offer discounts to teachers, so it's not inconceivable that teachers or other groups could be legitimately targeted for these specials for purely demographic reasons. Residency deals are based largely on who can book without connecting travel hassles, thus Florida residents have the advantage. Seniors don't have to arrange vacation, so are more apt to be able to book at the last minute. For m/f/p, what's the criteria? What's the reason? What's the rationale? What's the deal?

I personally do not see the military/fire/police discounts as a business decision by the cruise lines to boost sales/revenues. I see it as the cruise lines providing a reward for people in those professions. Sure, they are not going to offer it on a cruise that is selling well far out (as the cruise lines are in the business to make money), but on the occasions they offer it I do not think it is a scheme to make money, but a reward. In business many "perks" are meant to boost the bottom line, but this is certainly not always the case. Many buisnesses contribtue significant money to charity and they do not do this increase revenue; they generally do it because the people making the decisions want to contribute to the causes to which they donate. I believe that the military/fire/police discounts are a decision by the cruise line to reward people in these fields - and I fully support the cruise lines doing this.

First, I want to thank those who put themselves in danger to protect others and our ways of life.

But, I believe that the majority of those who made the decision to become a police person, a fire person, or to become a member of our military services made that decision themselves. I do not think that part of their decision to enter into their chosen profession was so that they could obtain discounted cruise prices or any other such benefit. They made the decision themselves, most of them receive benefits associated with their chosen profession, why should they be rewarded for their choice of profession by private industry such as the cruise lines? :confused:

You do realize the military discount is not just for active military, but also retired military and also honorably discharged veterans with at least two year of service or 6 months active combat. Hubby does qualify for a military discount - he did not enlist, but was drafted and spent a year in Viet Nam. However, we have not seen a military discount on any of the cruises we have taken.

I personally do not see the military/fire/police discounts as a business decision by the cruise lines to boost sales/revenues. I see it as the cruise lines providing a reward for people in those professions. Sure, they are not going to offer it on a cruise that is selling well far out (as the cruise lines are in the business to make money), but on the occasions they offer it I do not think it is a scheme to make money, but a reward. In business many "perks" are meant to boost the bottom line, but this is certainly not always the case. Many buisnesses contribtue significant money to charity and they do not do this increase revenue; they generally do it because the people making the decisions want to contribute to the causes to which they donate. I believe that the military/fire/police discounts are a decision by the cruise line to reward people in these fields - and I fully support the cruise lines doing this.

If it is not to boost sales/revenues then how do you explain residency discounts (discounts given to people from certain states on some cruises)?

I believe these discounted rates are offered to help fill the ship - better to sell a cabin at cost and make up revenue in the extras than to sail with an empty cabin and no revenue from the extras.

First, I want to thank those who put themselves in danger to protect others and our ways of life.

But, I believe that the majority of those who made the decision to become a police person, a fire person, or to become a member of our military services made that decision themselves. I do not think that part of their decision to enter into their chosen profession was so that they could obtain discounted cruise prices or any other such benefit. They made the decision themselves, most of them receive benefits associated with their chosen profession, why should they be rewarded for their choice of profession by private industry such as the cruise lines? :confused:

Wow. Have you been to a VA hospital lately? Or to Normandy Cemetery? Those folks are really reaping the benefits, aren't they?

You're entitled to your opinion, for sure, but I am kind of shocked to hear it, to be honest with you.

If it is not to boost sales/revenues then how do you explain residency discounts (discounts given to people from certain states on some cruises)?

I believe these discounted rates are offered to help fill the ship - better to sell a cabin at cost and make up revenue in the extras than to sail with an empty cabin and no revenue from the extras.

I was not addressing residency discounts, I was addressing military/police/fire discounts. Whereas residency discounts are clearly done to try to fill staterooms, I believe that military/police/fire discounts' primary impetus is not filling staterooms, but rewarding people for their service in these professions.

[quote name='PartyAllDaTyme']I touched on this earlier, [COLOR=Blue]wondering why the mil discount is not offered more often. My conclusion was that it's partly based on economics, which in turn made me wonder what specific things would trigger it. And since it's not simply a matter of "Thank you for your brave service," (part of which it is), [/COLOR]why [I]not[/I] target other groups, such as teachers? [COLOR=Blue]This has nothing to do with who deserves what, but, as you point out, it's a business decision. [/COLOR]

So, for everybody else, what is it about military, fire, and police, that would make their professions uniquiely (or, more accurately, triquiely) suited to being receptive to taking advantage of special prices? S. S. Cruisers alluded to a travel website that does offer discounts to teachers, so it's not inconceivable that teachers or other groups could be legitimately targeted for these specials for purely demographic reasons. Residency deals are based largely on who can book without connecting travel hassles, thus Florida residents have the advantage. Seniors don't have to arrange vacation, so are more apt to be able to book at the last minute. For m/f/p, what's the criteria? What's the reason? What's the rationale? What's the deal?[/quote]

Well said. I already have a booking on a 14 cruise night on the Constellation for next February, I just went to their website for the same cruise, checked the Military and 55+ boxes, no discounts offered. Apparently my military service or age are not important to them [I][U][B]yet.[/B][/U][/I] :D

[quote name='phoenix_dream']I happen to be one of those who goes absolutely nuts when teachers/educators get special discount days at places like Borders books (and this is for their personal use; not for buying books for classrooms).
With the fall of the economy and demise of pensions, one can only consider teachers one of the more financially stable professions around, at least in my area of the country (Chicago suburbs). Tenured teachers have good pay (again, talking about my area, may not be the same country-wide), don't generally put in the 50-60+hour work weeks private industry does, generally have excellent job security, have great health plans for which they pay little, and very, very generous pensions if they stay with the profession, which is unheard of in the private sector (as much as 75% of salary). Please, let my financial picture look half as good.

[B]I am no hater of teachers by any means[/B] but please, spare me the argument that they need financial breaks because they are so special and make less than they are worth. Many of us work in professions that benefit families and children, directly or indirectly, with much less in the way of financial rewards or stability.[/QUOTE]

Just want to enlighten you (although, rest assured, I am not in favor of teachers or nurses...I am a nurse...being given the same privileges as military or police/firefighters when it comes to discounts for cruising). My son has a Master's Degree in Education (and has the student loans to prove it). He was married last September and has put off taking a honeymoon so as to not take any time off from work. He just finished his first year as a Middle School Science teacher and although got exemplary performance reviews from administrators and parents, he was let go as a result of severe budget cuts (thank you Governor Christie) in education in the state of New Jersey. So there is no job security in teaching (teachers who had 17 years of tenure were cut as well). Although chastised by the press, the teachers were completely willing to take salary freezes and pay higher premiums for their insurance, the NJEA would not allow them to vote on this. As far as putting in extra hours, my son was at his desk at 7:15 a.m., never left school before 5 p.m. and spent hours in the evening grading papers and organizing curriculums for the next day's lesson. What a pity that a boy who, his entire life, wanted to teach Science, has been let go from a job he loved. Thankfully, he is getting calls from other school districts (and it looks like he has been hired by an affluent school district), but what a pity for the kids in the low income area that he taught have lost a valuable teacher.

Okay, now I'm stepping down off my soapbox.

Jo-Ann

Has anyone pointed out yet that this is not a "sour grapes" situation? That phrase refers to someone pretending not to want something that they really do want because they can't have it. The OP is not pretending they don't want the discount.

So there, argue over that for awhile.

[quote name='floridalady']Give me a break.Bob I feel what you do....I am so aggravated that people can feel this way about people who help and save lives.People who everyday put their lives on the line.People who have to do things many of us would never ever want to do or be able to do.
The cruiselines give the discount as do many hotels and amusement parks to honor these people.To help their families.To show appreciation.
I say to these brave men and women...I thank you and my family thanks you.God Bless you and your families.
Nancy:D[/quote]

I have to disagree. My perception is that these professions are newly mythic, and cruise lines (and other entities) provide discounts for them not necessarily because they want to honor them, but because it makes a certain faction of their target audiences feel warm, tingly, and especially, patriotic, in this post 9/11-era where definitions of "hero" are politicized. Are they always warranted? My DP served 22 years in the military and the closest he came to risking his life was in a car accident. Here in Chicago, we have notoriously corrupt police officers who "put their lives on the line" by forcing innocent people to spend years in jail for crimes they did not commit. A report was released earlier this month citing the lack of firefighter training as the overarching reason for injury (remember the communications issue on 9/11), and noted an increase in the rate of arson attributed to firefighters. Yet, I have known three teachers who died on the front lines in their jobs.

[quote name='GeorgiaPeach51']Wow. Have you been to a VA hospital lately? Or to Normandy Cemetery? Those folks are really reaping the benefits, aren't they?

You're entitled to your opinion, for sure, but I am kind of shocked to hear it, to be honest with you.[/quote]

Did you miss my first sentence? I am very grateful for those that have chosen to serve our country and communities.

Have I been to a VA Hospital? Yes, I spent some time in one after my honorable discharge in 1968. Have I been to the Normandy Cemetery? Yes, and I honor all of the worlds fallen service members. Are the conditions required to use either of the services you list a "benefit"......
absolutely not.

Do I think that I deserve a discounted price from Celebrity because I was in the military? No I do not. It was a job, even if I did not ask for it. Do I think that seniors should receive a discount? Yes, because if it is offered, anyone that reaches the age of 55 can benefit from it on Celebrity, not just individuals who have chosen one profession over another.

[quote name='Ma Bell']Businesses have the right to decide if and when and to whom they offer discounts. If I happen to fall into a category, great.

I can't imagine spending time worrying about who may be getting something that I don't. If you happen to make more money than I do, I'm happy for you. If you get a special deal, good for you. If we all spent more time concerning ourselves with being the best we can be and caring for those we love, rather than envying others, the world would be a much better place.

Sour grapes are only sour for those who eat them.;)[/quote]
You are totally correct. And, by the way, envy is a capital sin.

[quote name='ramman']Did you miss my first sentence? I am very grateful for those that have chosen to serve our country and communities.

Have I been to a VA Hospital? Yes, I spent some time in one after my honorable discharge in 1968. Have I been to the Normandy Cemetery? Yes, and I honor all of the worlds fallen service members. Are the conditions required to use either of the services you list a "benefit"......
absolutely not.

Do I think that I deserve a discounted price from Celebrity because I was in the military? No I do not. It was a job, even if I did not ask for it. Do I think that seniors should receive a discount? Yes, because if it is offered, anyone that reaches the age of 55 can benefit from it on Celebrity, not just individuals who have chosen one profession over another.[/quote]

So, we agree to disagree.

[quote name='ljk76']I feel lucky that I can afford to cruise almost every year and I'm delighted that there are sometimes discounts for these groups, made up of individuals who's lives can end in
a heartbeat. I'm a teacher and certainly don't think we deserve discounts, although when I retire it will be nice to book a cruise on a non peak week! Air is even worse. I even feel silly taking a senior discount. I don't feel that old, but when its offered I take it.[/quote]
I am old; hence, I do not feel bad about an old age discount. We live in SWFL; and, I once inquired of my auto mechanic if he gave senior citizen discounts. His reply was that if he did in SWFL, he would soon be bankrupt.

[quote name='ramman']Did you miss my first sentence? I am very grateful for those that have chosen to serve our country and communities.

absolutely not.

Do I think that I deserve a discounted price from Celebrity because I was in the military? No I do not. It was a job, even if I did not ask for it. Do I think that seniors should receive a discount? Yes, because if it is offered, anyone that reaches the age of 55 can benefit from it on Celebrity, not just individuals who have chosen one profession over another.[/quote]

Before this goes to far, perhaps an attempt at humor...
I do not try to smuggle booze on board
I do not smoke on my veranda (actually, I do not smoke at all)
I do not put a magazine on a sun bed and leave for hours
I do wear a formal kilt on formal nights in the MDR

[quote name='ramman']Before this goes to far, perhaps an attempt at humor...
I do not try to smuggle booze on board
I do not smoke on my veranda (actually, I do not smoke at all)
I do not put a magazine on a sun bed and leave for hours
I do wear a formal kilt on formal nights in the MDR[/quote]

You qualify for a discount in my book friend! :D

(I guess if three out of four is good so do I :D )

[quote name='Retty2Go']I have to disagree. My perception is that these professions are newly mythic, and cruise lines (and other entities) provide discounts for them not necessarily because they want to honor them, but because it makes a certain faction of their target audiences feel warm, tingly, and especially, patriotic, in this post 9/11-era where definitions of "hero" are politicized. Are they always warranted? My DP served 22 years in the military and the closest he came to risking his life was in a car accident. Here in Chicago, we have notoriously corrupt police officers who "put their lives on the line" by forcing innocent people to spend years in jail for crimes they did not commit. A report was released earlier this month citing the lack of firefighter training as the overarching reason for injury (remember the communications issue on 9/11), and noted an increase in the rate of arson attributed to firefighters. Yet, I have known three teachers who died on the front lines in their jobs.[/quote]

In every profession there are good and bad....I'm sure we could all tell stories on both sides as far as police/firemen are concerned. But that does not discount the FACT that at ANY moment they can be in harm's way....and, usually anyway, the majority of any profession are doing their jobs...not corrupt or undertrained...just doing their job.... I don't begrudge them their discounts...are they "owed" the discounts? NO, but I think it's nice that Celebrity does it....

I just read the first few pages and then stopped when I saw the tone went sour since it was not supporting the sour grapes, which I believe was in the OP's starter comments to consider for discussion.

So my input for discussion on this topic is: Too bad IMHO that the topic starter was not "I just saw that Special Offers are made for those who put themselves on the line for Humanity. Isn't that such a nice idea?

Oh well, two sides to every coin.:) Some look at positives, some at negatives.

[quote name='FinelyCruising']...So my input for discussion on this topic is: Too bad IMHO that the topic starter was not "I just saw that Special Offers are made for those who put themselves on the line for Humanity. Isn't that such a nice idea?[/QUOTE]

And as you have not apparently understood, in the true spirit of sour grapes, the answer would be: "NO! BECAUSE IT DOES NOT INCLUDE TEACHERS!" ;)

[quote name='dcguy9']Well, one theory is that military, fire and police put their lives on the line every day. Of course, teachers, nurses and care givers are critical to our society, they do not risk life every day.[/QUOTE]

I agree---everyone is valuable but those who put their lives on the line for us every day deserve some extra benefits in the form of a break on R & R ! ! Bless Them and I support the cruise line giving them the discount....!!!

Archived