WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

For firemen and policemen, I'd say this varies a LOT by what state you are in and what jurisdiction within that state.

You're probably right but I know it's true for my brother anyway....but the point is well taken...still no matter what the pay they ARE risking their lives for us.

I am ducking already because I can hear the thunder on the horizon :o but here I go.

Every cruise line out there has "special rates" for Military, police and fire. For example, an online TA has pricing on the Solstice Aug 15th sailing, there's discounts for military and fire and police. The difference between those "special" rates and the ones the rest of us pay is $ 849.00 instead of $ 1,199.00 for a standard balcony. :eek: $350.00 less!

Now I appreciate the guys and girls in the military and fire and police very much and please don't question that, but what about teachers, nurses and care givers. Are they not deserving now and then too?

I did warn everyone that this is a "Sour Grapes" thread... but why are some of the professions always left out of 'special rates"?

Actually, if you are a member of a Union, NCL gives discounted rate for union members.

I was checking about a price drop on another cruise line. I was told there were no Senior, State or Fire/Police/Military discounts for that cruise but there was one for Union Members. As none of us belong to a union, I did not inqire as to which union/s were included.

Just another twist to this issue.

I have to speak up and say-I am totally for this discount.And they should have it for all they do.I have had friends who were volunteer firemen in NY and people hated that these men who were not paid got a clubhouse.

There are many wonderful people doing wonderful things but the military,the police and firefighters are special people doing special jobs.They have families who have alot to deal with.

I say have a great time on whatever cruises you take.

As the wife of a former Air Force pilot, I can tell you that we moved to 13 locations in his 21 years. Aside from the obvious strain that puts on families and children, it makes it nearly impossible for wives who work to find jobs on a consistent basis. It seemed that every time we turned around I was job hunting again. In addition, we didn't get the financial rewards of long-term home ownership because we were on the move so much.

So, aside from the danger aspect there are financial hardships for military families that are not readily apparent to others. It is nice to have that recognized by companies occasionally. I think it is much harder for military families right now with these endless overseas assignments. So, so tough.

Having said that, I understand why it would be irritating to not receive a discount open to others. I was a teacher and though I obviously feel teachers are really important to our communities, I think our military, firefighters and police deserve the breaks, not teachers...as others have said, putting your life out there draws a different line in the sand, IMHO.

I feel lucky that I can afford to cruise almost every year and I'm delighted that there are sometimes discounts for these groups, made up of individuals who's lives can end in

a heartbeat. I'm a teacher and certainly don't think we deserve discounts, although when I retire it will be nice to book a cruise on a non peak week! Air is even worse. I even feel silly taking a senior discount. I don't feel that old, but when its offered I take it.

No intention on my part to not include fire or policemen-simply made the reference to a millitary guy in one sentence. I would draw the line in such a way as to include military, firemen, and policemen. Note that the discount is extended regardless of salary or position, and many of those jobs can pay rather nicely. Again, this is not a set discount and is only available on select sailings depending on bookings.

The problem of trying to expand the group is that it becomes a debate on which jobs are more "important" and that can be a never ending and volatile topic.

If you want to see another place that will permanently move you very deeply, visit the Holocaust museum while in DC. A little hint-if you go up in the old Post Office building (Nancy Hanks) you will get a fanatastic view of the area and it is free. The builidng is in the area you will be in-just ask.

Sorry, I thought I was making it clear that you were in no way intentionally leaving out fire or police, just that there are, in fact, lines to be drawn, and I was trying to use your out-of-context exclusion as a way of demonstrating that point. In retrospect, I shouldn't have. At one point in time, fire and police were excluded, and the OP should not be taken to task for daring to bring up the possibility or appropriateness of expanding the list.

And thank you for suggestions regarding our trip to DC!

I even feel silly taking a senior discount. I don't feel that old, but when its offered I take it.

If you're entitled, take it.

The first time I was offered a senior discount at KFC (for those 65 and older), I would have dropped my dentures, had I needed to be wearing any. I informed the nice young lady that I was still about 13 years away from being entitled to it, but she insisted. I think they're told to use it liberally for what they assume will be good customer relations.

And I was not very pleased at all when, at my son's graduation from college, I was asked by an usher, "So, is your grandson or granddaughter graduating today?

Young whippersnappers.:mad::eek::D

I served my country, as my signature says, for almost 15 years. I have now been in Law Enforcement for almost 30 years. I see the bad part of society every day, day in and day out. I've been spit on, shot at, almost run over by a car, etc on more than one occasion over the last 30 years, but I still put the uniform on the next day ready to do battle to protect the citizen's I serve. One thing I never do is solicit any type of gratuity. If however someone wants to offer me a discount on a cruise, I'll jump on it.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion but we also have a right to civilly disagree. I disagree with the OP making a comparison between military/Police/Firefighters & Teachers & Nurses. While these two professions are very admirable in their own right, they do not compare to what our brave servicemen and service women along with police & firefighters do every day.

Bob

One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned, is that Celebrity (and all of the cruise lines) have these discounts because it makes good business sense. If it didn't they wouldn't have the discounts. For whatever reasons; good pr, military, fire and police will cruise more - whatever. Celebrity discounts to make more money. Business.

So, to argue the importance of being a teacher, military, doctor, nurse, bus driver - whatever - is almost kind of silly. They are all necessary and critical. We need schools, an army and nurses. The cruise lines have determined what groups to give discounts to in order to make more money.

First, I want to thank those who put themselves in danger to protect others and our ways of life.

But, I believe that the majority of those who made the decision to become a police person, a fire person, or to become a member of our military services made that decision themselves. I do not think that part of their decision to enter into their chosen profession was so that they could obtain discounted cruise prices or any other such benefit. They made the decision themselves, most of them receive benefits associated with their chosen profession, why should they be rewarded for their choice of profession by private industry such as the cruise lines? :confused:

First, I want to thank those who put themselves in danger to protect others and our ways of life.

But, I believe that the majority of those who made the decision to become a police person, a fire person, or to become a member of our military services made that decision themselves. I do not think that part of their decision to enter into their chosen profession was so that they could obtain discounted cruise prices or any other such benefit. They made the decision themselves, most of them receive benefits associated with their chosen profession, why should they be rewarded for their choice of profession by private industry such as the cruise lines? :confused:

No comment,,,,,:mad::mad::mad:

Bob

One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned, is that Celebrity (and all of the cruise lines) have these discounts because it makes good business sense. If it didn't they wouldn't have the discounts. For whatever reasons; good pr, military, fire and police will cruise more - whatever. Celebrity discounts to make more money. Business.

So, to argue the importance of being a teacher, military, doctor, nurse, bus driver - whatever - is almost kind of silly. They are all necessary and critical. We need schools, an army and nurses. The cruise lines have determined what groups to give discounts to in order to make more money.

Excellent response, thank you. :D

Give me a break.Bob I feel what you do....I am so aggravated that people can feel this way about people who help and save lives.People who everyday put their lives on the line.People who have to do things many of us would never ever want to do or be able to do.

The cruiselines give the discount as do many hotels and amusement parks to honor these people.To help their families.To show appreciation.

I say to these brave men and women...I thank you and my family thanks you.God Bless you and your families.

Nancy:D

Excellent response, thank you. :D

I happen to be one of those who goes absolutely nuts when teachers/educators get special discount days at places like Borders books (and this is for their personal use; not for buying books for classrooms).

With the fall of the economy and demise of pensions, one can only consider teachers one of the more financially stable professions around, at least in my area of the country (Chicago suburbs). Tenured teachers have good pay (again, talking about my area, may not be the same country-wide), don't generally put in the 50-60+hour work weeks private industry does, generally have excellent job security, have great health plans for which they pay little, and very, very generous pensions if they stay with the profession, which is unheard of in the private sector (as much as 75% of salary). Please, let my financial picture look half as good.

I am no hater of teachers by any means but please, spare me the argument that they need financial breaks because they are so special and make less than they are worth. Many of us work in professions that benefit families and children, directly or indirectly, with much less in the way of financial rewards or stability.

Now now everyone, lets join hands and sing: :D

Someones cruising, my (insert divine being of choice here), kum bay ya

Oh (insert divine being of choice here), kum bay ya

Give me a break.Bob I feel what you do....I am so aggravated that people can feel this way about people who help and save lives.People who everyday put their lives on the line.People who have to do things many of us would never ever want to do or be able to do.

The cruiselines give the discount as do many hotels and amusement parks to honor these people.To help their families.To show appreciation.

I say to these brave men and women...I thank you and my family thanks you.God Bless you and your families.

Nancy:D

I was drafted in 1966, saw combat, "put my life on the line" but do not believe that I am owed any discounts nor will I ask for them. Will I try to get the "senior" discounts? Absolutely, because that is available to everyone that has achieved the published discount age, not what profession they those. What I see this discussion thread being is a justification for one profession being deserving of a discount and another not. I am only saying that in our world today, the choice to put ones life on the line is purely the choice of the individual. We should not be discussing whether or not they deserve more than a person who's choice of profession might be less of a personal danger. As has been written, the choice to offer discounts is purely up to the cruise lines. And if that generates more revenue for them, then as a stock holder, others benefit as well.

I touched on this earlier, wondering why the mil discount is not offered more often. My conclusion was that it's partly based on economics, which in turn made me wonder what specific things would trigger it. And since it's not simply a matter of "Thank you for your brave service," (part of which it is), why not target other groups, such as teachers? This has nothing to do with who deserves what, but, as you point out, it's a business decision.

So, for everybody else, what is it about military, fire, and police, that would make their professions uniquiely (or, more accurately, triquiely) suited to being receptive to taking advantage of special prices? S. S. Cruisers alluded to a travel website that does offer discounts to teachers, so it's not inconceivable that teachers or other groups could be legitimately targeted for these specials for purely demographic reasons. Residency deals are based largely on who can book without connecting travel hassles, thus Florida residents have the advantage. Seniors don't have to arrange vacation, so are more apt to be able to book at the last minute. For m/f/p, what's the criteria? What's the reason? What's the rationale? What's the deal?

They could give price breaks to everyone, we're all deserving. Then we could start a sour grapes thread because they are cutting services because of decreased revenue. You can't have everything.

Excellent...I like the way you think!

Archived