Train from warnemunde to berlin?

Does anyone know how far it is to get from the ship to the train station and how much the return train trip costs on a Friday?

Is it easy to do?

Thanks,

Som

Let's start with the simple answer:

2009WarnemuendeN0501-vi.jpg

far or better close enough???

Well on a Friday... well not so simple... depends to the arrival/departure time of your ship, the size of your party, time of booking, flexibility...

FaresBerlin2010-vi.jpg

Depending to many, many factors:

from 10.60 EUR per person upto to 100.00 EUR per person.

As said before:

number of persons in your party

departure time

choice of train

time of booking

individual risk of non-changeable/non-refundable fare

Generally said: difficult if you arrive on NCL or Princess...

Very good: if you arrive on HAL...

ScheduleBerlin20102-vi.jpg

Let me know more about your party and itinerary and I'll help you to find the cheapest way to go to Berlin.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be two people arriving on Princess Aug 18 at 8:00 am. Looks like the first train we could catch would be 9:52, arriving Berlin at 13:15?

It's PRINCESS and NCL with itineraries which make it somehow impossible to take the public train for DIY Berlin.

How about car rental? Also very easy.

Regards

HeinBloed

We'll be two people arriving on Princess Aug 18 at 8:00 am. Looks like the first train we could catch would be 9:52, arriving Berlin at 13:15?

Trains - Warnemünde to Berlin

The regular trains leave Rostock every two hours starting at 6.34am. The journey takes 2hrs 41mins. Add at least 30mins to get from Warnemünde to Rostock and change trains.

The trains return every two hours with the last leaving Berlin at 8.44pm. Total travel time 6hrs and 21mins

The standard fare is €71.80. Special fares on this route are very, very limited. There are none left for the day in question.

There is only one ICE per day in each direction, 7.24am from Rostock returns 6.12pm from Berlin. Journey time 2hours 21mins, standard fare €85.90.

So even if your ships schedule allows you to be away from Warnemünde by 8am and return around 9.45 pm you only have roughly six hours in Berlin.

Hiring a car.

The autobahn between Warnemünde and Berlin is very fast but we would not reccommend trying to drive around Berlin. Even if you know the city you will spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. The alternative is to leave the car at an S-bahn station in the suburbs, buy a day ticket and use public transport to get around the city.

If you are from North America or Australasia and really must see Berlin why not consider a couple of days before or after the cruise.Or from the UK it is possible to get a Fly-Hotel weekend package in the off-season for only slightly more than the cost of a tour.

There are so many interesting places to see much closer to Warnemünde, they have been discussed in detail on other threads.

Trains - Warnemünde to Berlin

The regular trains leave Rostock every two hours starting at 6.34am. The journey takes 2hrs 41mins. Add at least 30mins to get from Warnemünde to Rostock and change trains.

The trains return every two hours with the last leaving Berlin at 8.44pm. Total travel time 6hrs and 21mins

The standard fare is €71.80. Special fares on this route are very, very limited. There are none left for the day in question.

There is only one ICE per day in each direction, 7.24am from Rostock returns 6.12pm from Berlin. Journey time 2hours 21mins, standard fare €85.90.

So even if your ships schedule allows you to be away from Warnemünde by 8am and return around 9.45 pm you only have roughly six hours in Berlin.

The ICE calls directly Warnemünde (06.58 hrs dep - 20.48 hrs arr). There is no need for a transfer.

For the connection after 9.00 am as requested from the OP there is no need to buy standard fare:

5 can go for 53.00 EUR to Berlin and back on regional trains.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

HeinBloed,

We are arriving on a Friday at 6:00 am departing at 23:00. Assuming we want to get back to Warnemunde before 21:00, what trains would you suggest and what would the cost be for three (one is 15 years old if that makes any diff.)? It will be in June of 2011 but I am plan a little ahead :rolleyes:.

I think I can follow the pricing a little, it appears it would probably cost 150 euros on ICE and 53 euros non-ICE (plus a train change), do I have that right?

Thanks,

Kirk

HeinBloed,

We are arriving on a Friday at 6:00 am departing at 23:00. Assuming we want to get back to Warnemunde before 21:00, what trains would you suggest and what would the cost be for three (one is 15 years old if that makes any diff.)? It will be in June of 2011 but I am plan a little ahead :rolleyes:.

I think I can follow the pricing a little, it appears it would probably cost 150 euros on ICE and 53 euros non-ICE (plus a train change), do I have that right?

Thanks,

Kirk

Sounds like EURODAM or another HAL-ship...

Yeah... subject German Railways will not change the schedule significantly you can go

for 100 EUR for the whole family (based on rates 2010).

EURODAM is the only ship which can make it to and back from Berlin:

Super Saver 25% discount plus 50% for travel companions...

Regular price on ICE

1st person 50.00 EUR per leg = 100.00 EUR return...

25% off

= 75.00 EUR

2nd and 3rd person = 37.50 EUR each

= 150.00 EUR in total...

3rd person would be your son. Complimentary rides with parents is only for kids to 14 and lower.

Let's talk End of November again...

the new schedule for Europe will be released and from December 12 the new schedule will become valid...

Let's talk March again...

when the booking starts for your June voyage...

The sooner you book the higher the chance that you get the Super Saver 25 tickets...

Maybe German Railways will also release for limited time again a 19.00 EUR one ride-short distance on long-distance trains...

And maybe you can go for 114.00 EUR only but this will be released at short notice...

Let's see.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 5 months later...

Hi HeinBlod It seems like you are the expert on trains from Warnemunde to Berlin!! We are a group of 3 on the HAL Rotterdam, Saturday, Sept 10, 2011. We are looking at a private tour if we can interest other people on our cruise in joining us. If not, we are considering doing Berlin on our own. The ship docks at 6 AM on Saturday, Sept 10, 2011 and leaves at 11 PM. What are our options re: trains to and from Berlin, including times and costs. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide. If we do the train on our own, we may try to pick up a guided tour once we arrive in Berlin. JJ MacLellan Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi HeinBlod It seems like you are the expert on trains from Warnemunde to Berlin!! We are a group of 3 on the HAL Rotterdam, Saturday, Sept 10, 2011. We are looking at a private tour if we can interest other people on our cruise in joining us. If not, we are considering doing Berlin on our own. The ship docks at 6 AM on Saturday, Sept 10, 2011 and leaves at 11 PM. What are our options re: trains to and from Berlin, including times and costs. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide. If we do the train on our own, we may try to pick up a guided tour once we arrive in Berlin. JJ MacLellan Nova Scotia, Canada

Looks like you might can do the train tour for 35.00 EUR for 5 (so you can invite two cruise-mates) more. It's a weekend and you can really make a good bargain if you do a train tour.

So transportation is just 7.00 EUR if you find two more.

We should verify the schedule for September in June.

But as it is a Saturday it's cheap... but it's not optimal:

06.07 hrs might be too soon to catch... I saw ROTTERDAM already in town and there were guests already 06.05 hrs on the platform...

But the next is 08.07 hrs and you are 11.14 hrs in Berlin incl. one transfer.

There is another connection at 06.37 hrs with two transfers and you are in 10.29 hrs in Berlin.

18.45 hrs back from Berlin and you are in Warnemünde 22.01 hrs with one transfer.

So personally I would stand 06.00 hrs at the gangway... and then run... to try to get the 06.07 hrs.

You can buy the ticket already in internet.

That's what I would do.

If you are fast 5 minutes from ship to platform should not be a major problem if you are not too slow.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks so much for the info. I will check back with you in June. We may not want to stay that late, just to be on the safe side. What other times are trains available for the return trip - let's say 16:00 hrs and later.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much for the info. I will check back with you in June. We may not want to stay that late, just to be on the safe side. What other times are trains available for the return trip - let's say 16:00 hrs and later.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Just 2 hours earlier...

Hello HeinBloed,

We are a family of three traveling on the Norwegian Sun and arriving in Warmunde on Sunday, June 5. Would you be able to provide a cost for us -- two adults and one child age 13 taking a train to Berlin? We are in port from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thank you very much.

Hello HeinBloed,

We are a family of three traveling on the Norwegian Sun and arriving in Warmunde on Sunday, June 5. Would you be able to provide a cost for us -- two adults and one child age 13 taking a train to Berlin? We are in port from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thank you very much.

Cheapest would be 39.00 EUR for your whole family.

If you prefer to return by high-speed train. It would be at least 38.00 EUR more... (as the day pass for the outbound journey will not be valid for the return journey in an ICE High Speed train).

If you return by regional train: it's already included in the day pass for the day.

The good thing: it included public transport in Berlin as well.

Regards

HeinBloed

Cheapest would be 39.00 EUR for your whole family.

If you prefer to return by high-speed train. It would be at least 38.00 EUR more... (as the day pass for the outbound journey will not be valid for the return journey in an ICE High Speed train).

If you return by regional train: it's already included in the day pass for the day.

The good thing: it included public transport in Berlin as well.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you so much! Is it a bad thing to go by regional train? I assume they are slower and make many more stops than the ICE train.

Another question: Can we walk from the port to the train station? Or do we need to take a taxi?

Regards,

Linda

Well...

1. you want to wait until Monday morning you can also go by ICE Highspeed Train to Berlin... so Regional Train is very very fine...

(See pictures of the train here:

http://heinbloed-on-tour.de)

2. you want to have a taxi for a distance spitting from your ship's balcony to the platform of the train station I am sure you will not get one...

see same link for pictures.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you for the clarification. To me, the ship didn't appear to be that close.

Then do not spit from your balcony...

you might hit a crew member or any cruise-mates on the pier and I am not sure if they will forgive for the rest of the cruise as you have still 8 nights with them and do not want to be poisoned or thrown over your balcony during a day on sea...

HeinBloed,

If we are booking train tickets from Warnemunde to Berlin on the bahn website there are several different station names with Warnemunde in the name (Warnemunde Strand, Warnemunde Wherft, etc.), which is the station that is closest to the cruise ships? Thanks for your help,

Dustin

Archived