Maasdam S Deluxe Verandah Cabin

howiefrommd

Can anyone provide some guidance/feedback on the "S" Deluxe Verandah Suites on Maasdam. The only rooms that are still available (for a 13 day cruise) are located under to Lido Deck (Pool Area) and one under the Trident Grill. We are wondering how the noise (chairs moving, trident grill, etc.) is. It is a repositioning cruise (Canada to FLL). Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

We have spent about 225 days in one of those "S" cabins on Maasdam :) and have another 49 days booked with another cruise booking pending.

I guess it fair to say noises above on Lido Deck have not bothered us in any substantial way.

Yes.... from time to time late afternoon we hear chairs being moved around a little. It normally lasts about 15 minutes and, for us, is so minimal I hardly even remember that until we hear it again on subsequent cruise.

We (almost) always have a mid-ship Suite under Lido pool area.

Clearly it speaks for itself we love that ship and her crew. No one would sail in that cabin as often as we do on that ship with that crew for "S" prices if we didn't think the experience superlative.

Hope you love it as much as we do. :)

We have also sailed on the Maasdam.

Yes you will hear noise from the deck above -- the workers early in the morning when they are washing down the deck and moving chairs around. Also during the day when people move their chairs around.

If I were you I would select the cabin under the Terrace Grill -- less noise there.

We always get cabins as far forward as possible.

Howie - are you going this year or 2011? We booked the Canada to FLL for Oct 15, 2011 in an S suite and selected 043. That way we are under the Lido rest. but yet not far from the Neptune Lounge. We had a similiarly located suite on the Zaandam a few months ago and loved the location (and absolutely no noise). On the other hand, we had a suite on the Volendam in Sept across from the Neptune and had alot of chair scraping.

A few years ago we were in 007 on Maasdam (W. Carb.) and had a few times of chair scraping, but it was not bad.

DaveOKC

we were forward a few times only because mid-ship wasn't available when we booked and it was fine but we prefer being midship..... closer to Neptune Lounge. :) We also like we are halfway between both staircases. Maasdam not being a huge ship, the walk isn't very far from anywhere but it's nice being halfway to wherever we are going.... particuarly if I'm wearing high heels. :D

Thanks for the fast feedback. We are going in 2011. At this point the available rooms are: 05 and 08 (05 looks like it is under Trident), and going towards the other way 22 and 33. Last time we had a similar room (on Eurodam) we where right by entrance to the Neptune and could hears a bunch of talking in the hall.

I did have one more question, does anyone have a guesstimate when the Trident is open ?

Once again, thanks so much for your input. It is appreciated.

Howie

Howie - we will have to get a Roll Call going for this cruise, as I stated we are it on it also in an S suite. Looking at your options, I would go with 008. I would be concerned about the Grill noise in 005 (although I cannot be sure). At least 008 is in th corner of the Lido pool area and likely will have less noise.

As to the 022 and 033, its nice that they are close to Neptune, but they likely will have higher traffic above in the Lido pool area. On this cruise we are mostly in port, so I doubt it will be problem, but one never knows for certain (we heard noises on our AK cruise on the VOlendam in a similiar cabin to these two.

One thing to consider, we picked a starboard side cabin just in case we get to see the US seaboard the last three days (I know - unlikely) but also so that we can catch the sunsets.

Hope to meet you on-board.

DaveOKC

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the confusion about Trident....maybe that is why I have so much gray hair :)

I am reposting as it looks like a few more rooms opened up. If anyone could tell me what the think of S002 (directly under the hair salon). If that is not good, how about 24 or 28.

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Howie

on our last cruise we were in 005 on the Maasdam. The only problem we had was during the day when sitting out on the veranda the door that the personel using going in and out of the grills kitchen would slam shut everytime they went through it. It took us a while to figure out where we were hearing it from but it got really annoying as I like to nap on my veranda during sea days. We mentioned the problem to the concerge and the problem just about completely disappeared with a very few occasional slips. I really enjoyed the veranda after that!:D

We were in 020 a couple of weeks ago and would choose that in a heartbeat. I loved the proximity to the Neptune Lounge and it was right between the two elevator locations. As far as noise, yes, but it never lasted long. Nor was it that disturbing as I had to think, "hmmm, did we hear chairs?"

Thanks the more info the better. I took 002 and hopefully someone who has stayed in that room can provide some guidance.

i believe this room is farther forward than the Lido -- looks like it is under parts of the spa if I am reading the deck plans correctly

Not sure where you get this Trident -- it is the Terrace Grill which I mentioned earlier.

It is open from 11:30 until 5 PM.

008 gets a lot of noise from above -- we have been in that cabin in early years of cruisin on the Maasdam.

Now I'm a bit worried....we're booked in 008 in March. We typically book 012, on the Ryndam and Volendam, but it was taken. I've been in 010 on the Ryndam but that was with the ex so we just kind of avoid that cabin number. ;) Plus it turns out Mrs. K likes left-handed rooms on the port side. I can't explain it but we've cruised so many cabins on the port side of the ship we get turned around when on the starboard side and it seems we're always headed in the wrong direction when we leave our cabin.

Archived