Look younger creams

robthens

Sure are a lot of ads out there that are claiming that you can "look younger" in a few weeks of use. NOW, if just buying products would do the trick, I'd need an ID to buy a drink....LOL

Has anyone tried a "firming" product? Which ones have you tried? What were the results?

Any good moisturizer will help your skin look moist and refreshed....none will actually get rid of deep wrinkles and lines....

Exfoliate, then moisturize...that will help your skin look as young as it can...but nothing will turn back the clock...except surgery!

I use Olay regenerist. Mainly because it has a higher spf than other facial moisturizers. I don't find it too heavy either (important for me in the summer in NC) At night I use a Burts Bees pomegranate anti-aging cream. http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-moisturizers/naturally-ageless-skin-firming-night-creme.html

Don't know if it truly firms - I'm in my mid-30s and don't have heavy wrinkles - but I do like both products. Websites like MakeupAlley have lots of product reviews if you want to gather more anecdotal "evidence".

Has anyone tried the creams that are being advertized on TV?

I have a friend who has wasted thousands and thousands of dollars on creams advertised on television and in magazines. Absolutely none of the lotions have made any difference. She buys them, uses them for a few weeks then brings them in to the office and gives them away.

If any of those creams worked you can bet they would not have to PAY for 30 minutes of tv time to advertise the stuff ... people would be knocking down their door to get to them.

Google some of those lotions and potions with the words "complaint" and see what you find. I accidentally came upon a complaint site related to some of the current big advertisers and was stunned by the amount of money people threw away on products, just because some model claimed they worked.

If you really want to find something that works go to a dermatologist, or hit the department store counters and get some free samples.

And all of the advice about sunscreen, hats, washing your face, using moisturiser every day, not smoking, etc., etc. is good. Ask any older woman with great skin what she does and she'll likely tell you that she did all of those things.

We're all looking for the fountain of youth, but I doubt it's gonna be advertised at 3 a.m. on a cable channel! :)

I LOVE obagi..it is not cheap...but people have noticed a huge change in my skin, mostly that it really does even out the freckles and tone..and my skin really does look younger.

I buy some of the "fancy creams" at discount at TJ Maxx..not for my face per se but for hands, neck, chest area..and surprisingly even though they are odd and end brands, I've had some good ones.

When I am looking for certain brands of skin creams I shop on nextagg. com and it's a good comaprison shopping mall for lots of beauty products

I have several face creams in rotation. Olay ProX, L'Oreal Advanced Regenerist Deep-Set Wrinkle Repair (both day lotion and night cream), Aveeno Naturally Ageless Lifting and Firming. The thing is, I use moisturizers and foundations every day anyhow, so why not make sure they have an SPF factor and some anti-aging qualities? I think what really helps is that I avoid tanning, too.

I think what really helps is that I avoid tanning, too.

And we have a winner! That and not smoking are two of the best things you can do for your skin.

I think of this often when I see the tanning bed threads.

Prescription products like Retin-A (Renova, Differin,etc.) are approved by the FDA and independent studies show that they can reduce fine lines and wrinkles. I use that at night and an AHA lightening gel plus Finacea (rosecea cream) and sunscreen during the day. I've found out that these products actually cost less and do more that what you can buy at department stores.

Sunscreen, wide-brimmed hat, Retin A. I wish I'd started using serious sunscreen years earlier and I do regret the mispent hours of my youth trying to get a tan.

I used Obagi 5-6 years ago and it did help get rid of many of the dark spots forming on my face. It didn't do much for my hands though. After a couple of years of doing the annual Obagi short term refresher I decided it was just too harsh. Now I just use Retin A 3X a week.

I think a balanced diet is important too, especially lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Posters have recommended ROC deep wrinkle night cream, an AHA cream, for the chest/decolletage area. I use that during the summer months, but just on the chest area.

Robthens, the OP asked for opinions on firming creams, yet most of you came in with opinions on anti-wrinkle creams. Interesting.

Robthens, the lack of firmness in the skin is caused by the breakdown of collagen deep within the layers. Generally speaking, it's difficult for creams to penetrate deep enough to improve collagen tightness, and at best, some creams can give a slight temporary lift to the skin. Some of the better brands, such as Clarins, Obagi, Orlane do have creams that will lift a bit. Rodan and Fields is going to be coming out with a new one in the fall that looks promising. (I met with them a couple of months ago and heard all about it).

Avoiding sun damage and smoking, as others have said, is the best prevention, as these factors damage the collagen.

Some places that give facials have an electronic stimulus roller that's gently rolled all over the face and give a temporary lift to the skin.

And there are some accupuncturists that know how to give a "face lift" that also gives a little lift to the skin.

Another way to fix it is with Thermalogy which is done in the dermatologists office. Thermalogy is a radio wave procedure that strengthens collagen. It's a flat tipped device that's placed on the areas needed to be lifted for a few seconds. It's heated and works deep into the skin. It can be used on the lower face (doesn't work on forehead), legs, tummy (many new Moms use it post delivery) and arms. It takes about 3 months before results are seen, and usually 3 treatments are recommended. Should you decide to look into it, make sure the doctor has one of the new Thermology machines, as the old ones hurt a lot.

Also, depending on where your skin is sagging, you might want to try an injection of filler, such as restalyn. It's especially good for the jowl area.

Ads claiming you can "look younger in a couple of weeks" is quite a broad statement and I don't know which ones you're referring to. If it's some of those late night, buy on the tv/internet only creams I'd be hesitant. However, aging is caused by many factors, and a cream that can deal with one of these factors will indeed make you look better and younger. One of the biggest telltale signs of aging is skin that's not clear and has sundamage marks and wrinkles. There are creams that can help these conditions - lightening creams, and products like retin-A and/or peels which give a refreshed and youthful appearance. Will they make a 50 year old look 30? Of course not, but they do help, and they can help people look a lot better.

If you really want to find something that works go to a dermatologist, or hit the department store counters and get some free samples.

The only thing you'll find out from a free sample is if you're allergic to a product. You need to use a product for a while to see if there are results.

Most derms won't comment on products, other than sunscreen, RetinA or peels

You know, this jogged my memory..ocassioally I go to a vietnamese gal for a facial..she uses some products from Vietnam and boy, are they wonderful. One thing she showed me was how to do "exercises" for toning the face..sounds silly..but..it doesn't hurt to try. She suggested saying the Vowels but "exaggerating" them. "AAAAAAAA EEEEEEEE IIIIIIIII OOOOOOO UUUUUUU" etc. She also recommended massaging the eye area gently for 5 minutes a day to control puffiness and dark circles. I do not spend 5 minutes twice a day doing that as she recommended, but it does seem to help when I take the time to do it.

I'd love to know more about that.

Robthens, the lack of firmness in the skin is caused by the breakdown of collagen deep within the layers. Generally speaking, it's difficult for creams to penetrate deep enough to improve collagen tightness, and at best, some creams can give a slight temporary lift to the skin. Some of the better brands, such as Clarins, Obagi, Orlane do have creams that will lift a bit. Rodan and Fields is going to be coming out with a new one in the fall that looks promising. (I met with them a couple of months ago and heard all about it).

The way I see it, if I get a temporary lift to the skin, and I'm using the product daily, I will see that lift on a daily basis. :) Also, in my opinion, brands can't be labeled as better just because they are more expensive. In fact, there may be reports of higher effectiveness in higher priced products because we have to mentally justify our spending so much.

I'm anxious to try the new L'Oreal Paris Collagen Micro-Pulse for Eyes. I'll be trying it for free (through BzzAgent), but I'm really anxious to see how it works for my sister. She suffers more from dark circles and puffiness than I do, so any results I may see will not be as dramatic as hers. It's a 2-part product:

STEP ONE: ANTI-WRINKLE + ANTI-DARK CIRCLE

Erasyl minimizes dark circles for brighter eyes. Collagen smoothes away any appearance of under-eye wrinkles and crow’s feet.

STEP TWO: ANTI-PUFFINESS MICRO-PULSE MASSAGER

Stimulate circulation with gentle micro-pulsations.

Reduce puffiness and bags for rejuvenated eyes.

I know, I know, the OP asked about lifting products. But this does mention collagen, and perhaps the addition of the massager will increase the effectiveness. It could happen!

I'd love to know more about that.

I've been doing Facercises for about a year now & really love them. I use this book: http://www.amazon.com/Carole-Maggio-Facercise-Muscle-Toning-Appearance/dp/0399527834/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280007174&sr=1-1

You can see a few of the exercises performed in this video clip:

I do them first thing every morning & saw immediate improvement in my face. I'm in my 60's. Within a week, my brow overhang lifted, facial coloring improved (complexion went from grey to pink), lips plumped, jowls decreased, cheeks became fuller, throat smoother, brow & nose-to-lip lines became less visible. I recommended it to other family members who all had similar results.

I can't afford plastic surgery & expensive procedures -- and wouldn't want them anyway. I'd rather keep things natural. All this cost was a ten buck book. For me at least, it's been worth it!

Frangran,

Thanks so much for the link. It's really interesting.

I've heard that while facial exercises strengthen muscles, they also create wrimkles, so it seems like a Catch 22. (especially the eye squinting)

I'm going to look into this further.

The funny part about Carole Maggio, is that while her face looks very young, she dresses like an old matron. Her hair style, and makeup are what someone in their 70's would sport, and in the video she says she's 52. She'd look 10 years younger with an updated hair style, makeup and less matronly clothes.

I am 62 and use many of the tips mentioned: avoid tanning, no smoking, try not to purse my lips which causes those small lines above your mouth. I wear sunglasses all the time now since I saw a photo of me squinting in the sun. I have dry skin, so I have to use a mild cleanser and a moisturizer. I use Estee Lauder Perfectionist serum because it makes my skin feel very soft. I also use Estee Lauder Day Wear Plus moisturizer because I love the smell - wish I could find something less expensive! I love these blogs and appreciate everyones ideas. Now if I could only get rid of the dark circles under my eyes - never had them til I went thru menopause and had my gall bladder removed the same year - don't know if there is a connection. I will continue to try various creams, and keep a youthful hairdo and color the gray. I know I'm blessed with good genes because my mother had beautiful skin; I just want to preserve it!

I do agree that Carol does need to update her look. A more natural make up, casual hairstyle & fashionable clothes would help. But I guess it's her style.

Actually the eye squinting exercises got rid of the bags under my eyes. The fine lines around my mouth & eyes have vanished, too, in the past year. The big wrinkles go first & the smaller ones just take a little longer.

I suppose it depends on what you want. I have money limitations & I want to be as natural as possible. I don't want to have to avoid the sun all the time like you do on some medications or preparations! I don't want to have to avoid smiling or using my face! I don't want to be injected with poison! I want to avoid anything that gives me a fake plastic look, like Botox. I don't want that over-stretched look that comes from plastic surgery. I see the faces of women my age who have had too many procedures & they look to me like something from a horror movie. If a woman thinks that looks great -- well, more power to her! But this is what works for me.

I do think most women prefer something they can apply to the skin or have a procedure done TO them, rather than facial exercises, which take commitment & effort. Like eating sensibly & working out to lose weight.

Oh well, lecture over! Best of luck to ALL of us who want to continue looking our best whatever our ages & whatever methods we may choose!

There's nothing at all wrong with embracing aging. Pretty sad to see old women trying to look young.

There's nothing wrong with aging - it's better than the alternative.

Personally, I think it's sad when older women just give up and have a "what the heck, I don't need to try anymore." attitude. JMO.

If you feel women should "embrace" wrinkles, and other aspects of aging skin, and that it's "sad" that women try to lessen the visuals of skin aging, that's certainly your perogative, but please don't don't come into a thread filled with useful tips and tell us we're all wrong in our efforts to look younger and better. Thanks.

Archived