Commisions

Cruiser John

It really isn't good business, for the client OR the Agent, to insist on the rock bottom cheapest alternative at every turn.

Even the most dedicated Agent can't stay in business if nothing is commission-able.

Plucked%20Turkey%202010.jpg

You can only pluck so many feathers before you kill the Goose that laid the golden egg.

I am referring to STANDARD practice for some TAs -- not plucking feathers and requiring no negotiation whatsoever

My TA routinely gives gratuities and and OBC for Oceania cruises. He is probably one of the highest volume TAs in the business, a high volume O agent and is constantly being "recruited" by other agencies. I do not have to haggle to get these things. He would never "sign me up" for a transfer --or encourage me to book a hotel through the cruise line. In fact, there are several cruise lines that he refuses to put people on -- he tells them to book with someone else -- he does not want to blamed for a lousy experience.

When I meet other cruisers who do not get these perks, I give them his card and they become his loyal clients. My TA lives on repeat business and referrals. Good prices, good service and he makes a GREAT living. It's a WIN WIN.

I have not posted here for about 2 years and was just reading this thread and came across a brilliant response which I wish I had written........then realised I had !!!

Brian

I wondered what happened to you and glad u posted. And.. Yes it was a great post. :)

I suspect that many of us spend a good portion of our disposable income on cruising ( I know I do). If the subject of TA commisions isn't taboo, I am interested to know the rates paid by cruise lines to TA's for cruises, travel insurance,and other incidentals offered by the cruise lines.

no secret -- 10% of the base fare -- $699 pp cabin = $69.90 x 2

nothing on anything else - no % on any air - even thru the cruise line

some agencies may get a percent or two higher - depends on the volume of passengers and this varies per cruise line -

service fees are charged directly by the agency.

I have seen references to a new Oceania policy that limits the number of "perks" that TA's may offer which will effectively "level the playing field" for all TA's in their marketing efforts. Would someone please help me to understand or correct this information for me? Will it mean more out of pocket for me and unfairly limit the more successful agencies in their offers? Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue.

I have seen references to a new Oceania policy that limits the number of "perks" that TA's may offer which will effectively "level the playing field" for all TA's in their marketing efforts. Would someone please help me to understand or correct this information for me? Will it mean more out of pocket for me and unfairly limit the more successful agencies in their offers? Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue.

That might be something to discuss with your TA

Only you know what perk you previously received from them

Aren't items like "free transfers" and pre-paid gratuities marketing incentives from the cruise line?

Not always. I only book travel through my travel agent...I WILL NOT book directly with a cruise line, resort hotel, tour company etc. My travel agent knows my preferences and looks for destinations that I like, or might like to experience. Why should I not let the commissions go to my travel agent for personally taking care of my travel?

If you don't understand the travel business, then you aren't aware of consortiums that work with cruise lines. I was on a cruise recently that included a private cocktail party, on-board gratuities, and a free 5 hour shore excursion. There were other passengers complaining when I stopped by our concierge table to turn in my free excursion form because they didn't get these bonuses. Well, that's why I use a travel agent....anyone can call a cruise line and book a cabin, but a travel agent has capability to find these offers and pass them on to me for no charge.

I don't always go with the free gratuities offer. Although my travel agent showed me the Oceania cruises left this year that included free gratuities, I chose Oceania Marina Nov. 8th for the itinerary.

I don't always go with the free gratuities offer. Although my travel agent showed me the Oceania cruises left this year that included free gratuities, I chose Oceania Marina Nov. 8th for the itinerary

Your Travel Agent may have exposed you to just as much information about those "consortia" as you "needed to know" in order to remain their client. :rolleyes:

There are other Agents out there who are able to offer the benefits that you describe -and more- across the board.

Your Travel Agent may have exposed you to just as much information about those "consortia" as you "needed to know" in order to remain their client. :rolleyes:

There are other Agents out there who are able to offer the benefits that you describe -and more- across the board.

Of course there are other agents that can offer the same benefits. I never stated that these offers are only through her. I just choose to use a travel agent instead of booking my own travel.

This was only one example, most of my travel isn't on a cruise ship.

TA's have it ruff these days .

Imagine walking into a store to buy a big ticket item ,

getting all the details on which item is best for you ,

then telling the salesperson to give you part of their pay

or they will buy that item that the salesperson suggested ,

down the street.

What a business !

down the street.

What a business !

Ain't that the truth ;)

You do all the work & they book elsewhere

If you are a new customer, maybe these limits will work or for the cruise shopper. However for those who have a long term relation with a specific agent/agency it has no effect.

Of course there are other agents that can offer the same benefits. I never stated that these offers are only through her. I just choose to use a travel agent instead of booking my own travel.

This was only one example, most of my travel isn't on a cruise ship.

I believe that you misunderstood my post (perhaps deliberately).

My point was that other Agents are regularly giving their clients GREATER incentives than the ones that your Agent guided you to.

For example, there are Agents who are able to offer Free Gratuities no matter what the Itinerary, plus a generous On-Board Credit.

down the street.

What a business !

Happened to me all the time when I owned a retail store dealing in relatively big ticket items. When a customer asks for an additional discount, aren't they asking for part of my income?

It happened regularly even when I was lower priced than the guy "down the street"...

My answer was to gpo ahead and deal with the guy down the street if he was willing to sell below his cost of doing business...if my competition did that often enough, I wouldn't have to worry long about the competition :rolleyes:.

I believe that you misunderstood my post (perhaps deliberately).

My point was that other Agents are regularly giving their clients GREATER incentives than the ones that your Agent guided you to.

For example, there are Agents who are able to offer Free Gratuities no matter what the Itinerary, plus a generous On-Board Credit.

Ouch!

Happened to me all the time when I owned a retail store dealing in relatively big ticket items. When a customer asks for an additional discount, aren't they asking for part of my income?

It happened regularly even when I was lower priced than the guy "down the street"...

My answer was to gpo ahead and deal with the guy down the street if he was willing to sell below his cost of doing business...if my competition did that often enough, I wouldn't have to worry long about the competition :rolleyes:.

We've been on enough cruises where the inevitable little pest will sidle up and ask "how much did you pay?" - looking so see if you got a better "deal" than his. This type of passenger is not really a regular cruiser, but rather a "casual" buyer who always wants to compare price not service.

For several years, I partnered in a travel agency, where we prided ourselves on getting the best cruise available, and offering little in the way of price discounts. Our connections allowed us to work out reservations that were often better than those available to the public.

Would we "discount" (i.e. share some of our commission with a client) when asked? Usually not, except for repeat clients who booked more frequently than most. Then came the loss of airline commissions and other unfortunate events - and we sold out.

My advice would be to think carefully if getting a large discount is your only consideration in selecting any cruise....

down the street.

What a business !

Happens all time these days it is called the Internet. Person goes into Best Buy and looks at 20 TV's and decides on the best model. Then goes on-line and buys it on Amazon.

Ever buy a car -- same thing. There is nothing wrong with bargaining for your cruise.

Happens all time these days it is called the Internet. Person goes into Best Buy and looks at 20 TV's and decides on the best model. Then goes on-line and buys it on Amazon.

Ever buy a car -- same thing. There is nothing wrong with bargaining for your cruise.

When your playing wit cruise fares in the under $5000 range thats one thing...margins are tighter

But when you start looking at cruises in the $20,000 to $40,000 range.. thats anothe matter. There is a lot more pie to play with.:rolleyes:

I dont know of anyone that would walk into a car dealer and pay list sticker price? Well I did have a friend who saved and saved to get a Porche... and tried to offer them a deal. They told him to go back home till he had some real money to spend !

I think everyone has to do what they have to do. Once you get the price, service that you want, you should pay the price and forget it. Everyone has the right to price a product and everyone has the right to sell that product. If the TA doesn't want to work with a person they don't need that person--same goes for the buyer. I always want a good price for what I pay for, but I don't want it free--so I want the service that goes with the product.

Rick

Archived