Princess vs. HAL

ActiveTraveler

I remember a while back, someone asked if Princess or HAL is a better cruise line and everyone seemed to agree that person should sail on the Ruby. Since then I have seen a lot to like about the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby. That thread was enough to make me think, "Forget about Holland America."

But seriously, am I doing the wrong thing to assume I should not sail on HAL anywhere just because some people said Princess is better? Should I reconsider HAL despite all of the reasons given to sail on a Princess ship instead?

Ever since I read HAL has a ship (Zaandam) that goes to Hawaii from San Diego I have been thinking I need to take a HAL cruise because Princess sails out of Los Angeles. I prefer San Diego. But would I like 8 sea days on the Zaandam as much as I would love 8 sea days on a Princess ship?

I seriously wonder if you feel this is a debate board? We can not possibly know what you would like. Our opinions are based upon our experiences. Just exactly what do you want and what are you looking for? Go to HAL and ask there too ;).

I sail both. They are very similar cruise experiences with a few differences. I book a cruise based on itinerary, timing, and price.

There are many threads about HAL vs. Princess on both the Princess boards and the HAL boards with good information. I suggest you do a search as they're fairly current.

If the question of whether Princess or HAL was a better cruiseline was asked on the HAL board the answer most chosen would be HAL. On a Princess board most often Princess. Its a subjective question with the answer being biased by the opinion of those answering.

Not any different than most of the questions asked and answered here everyday on cc. Few questioned asked and answered here on cc fall into the category of facts only, although some do. Personal experience and opinion comes into play most often and as such needs to be read and taken for exactly what it is, personal opinion. One needs to be able to distinquish between fact and opinion so they properly weigh the answer if they are using it to help make their cruise decisions.

No one can tell you if you would prefer HAL over Princess or vice versa, that is up to you to decide based upon checking out the facts, weighing the opinions and coming up with your own opinion and most importantly having your own experience on the different cruiselines. There is no substitute for ones own experience to determine one's preferred cruiseline or for that matter finding out that there can be more than one cruiseline one enjoys sailing on.

I have no idea if you have as good a time on the Zaandam as on a Princess ship and only you will know that answer when you have tried both.

I remember a while back, someone asked if Princess or HAL is a better cruise line and everyone seemed to agree that person should sail on the Ruby. Since then I have seen a lot to like about the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby. That thread was enough to make me think, "Forget about Holland America."

But seriously, am I doing the wrong thing to assume I should not sail on HAL anywhere just because some people said Princess is better? Should I reconsider HAL despite all of the reasons given to sail on a Princess ship instead?

Ever since I read HAL has a ship (Zaandam) that goes to Hawaii from San Diego I have been thinking I need to take a HAL cruise because Princess sails out of Los Angeles. I prefer San Diego. But would I like 8 sea days on the Zaandam as much as I would love 8 sea days on a Princess ship?

If you haven't been on a ship yet, you should hold off on planning on cruises to Hawaii. There's usually rough seas involved with this itinerary.

Seriously, I think you should just go see a travel agent and have a face-to-face with him or her.

If you haven't been on a ship yet' date=' you should hold off on planning on cruises to Hawaii. There's usually rough seas involved with this itinerary.

Seriously, I think you should just go see a travel agent and have a face-to-face with him or her.[/quote']

What rough seas are you talking about? The Pacific Ocean got its name from a lack of tropical storms and hurricanes. Sure, some storm systems occur east of Asia, but I do not know about any typhoons being reported between Hawaii and California. That's OK; it will definitely not be my first cruise because of the eight sea days.

What rough seas are you talking about? The Pacific Ocean got its name from a lack of tropical storms and hurricanes. Sure, some storm systems occur east of Asia, but I do not know about any typhoons being reported between Hawaii and California. That's OK; it will definitely not be my first cruise because of the eight sea days.

Not all rough seas are caused by storms, here is a link that should keep you very busy...and answer your questions, if you can't click on the link, you can copy and paste:

http://www.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=pacific+ocean+currents&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=L4hKTNWFIMGC8gbP6v04&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw&biw=1433&bih=889

Google is an amazing tool, you might try it.

DH is sensitive to the motion of the ocean, and I promise the Pacific is a misnomer. It is rougher than our experiences in the Caribbean, that's for sure.

He has a website he watches to see the wave action across the oceans (it's a color-coded map). The Pacific is very active... and VERY large, so it's difficult to generalize about it in one statement. It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep and he can... otherwise, I'd ask him for the site.

As to the original question, I've sailed both Princess and HAL. I feel that they are very similar, but Princess has more planned activities (unless that has changed since my April 2008 sailing), but HAL has more relaxing, quiet time (with fewer PA announcements). It greatly depends on your tastes and preferences.

from one voyage...not a true naming based on long-term observations...

Answer

The Spanish explorer (of portuguese origin but sailed with spanish flag)named Ferdinand Magellan crossed the strait of Magellan (comes from his name) between Antarctica and South America, and discover the new ocean. At the time of crossing he thought that it appeared very calm and peaceful, thus he christened it Pacific, based on the Latin word "Pacifica" meaning calm.

You've never heard of any hurricanes on the west coast? No storms in the Pacific? :eek: Rough seas occur in a lot of places...I guess we've found another part of the world you haven't been an Active Traveler in

You've also said the UK couldn't be part of the EU because they didn't use the Euro...please try google to check your facts before making these statements

As for Princess vs. HAL...please try HAL for your first cruise :)

I think you are right. I think RCCL or Holland would be a better fit for you!

Princess is going to be pretty boring for you IMO. I would hate for your first cruise experience to be a let down.

Seriously' date=' I think you should just go see a travel agent and have a face-to-face with him or her.[/quote']

This has to be about the 80th time this has been suggested to the OP.

...please try google to check your facts before making these statements

And the hundredth for this one. :rolleyes: Apparently her only method of "researching" is to ask a question here on CC based on an incomplete understanding of the facts and then to come back and make snarky statements to those that try to provide information.

And the hundredth for this one. :rolleyes: Apparently her only method of "researching" is to ask a question here on CC based on an incomplete understanding of the facts and then to come back and make snarky statements to those that try to provide information.

I know Cynthia, I feel a little like an enabler but I can't help myself :)

Here is a suggestion for you. Princess, Holland America, NCL, RCCL, and Carnival all have sailings from either NY or NJ. You can probably drive to port from Ohio and save the airfare. Look for last minute deals or short 5 day sailings. My neighbor was able to join us on or last 7 day cruise for only $299 (interior room) after final payment. There are good deals if you search for them. Princess only does a 9 day round trip from NY to the Caribbean but next year they offer a 7 day Canada/ New England itinerary. The only way you are going to know what line works for you is to sail on one of them. Since it will be your first cruise you don't have anything to compare it to so I am sure you will have a great time regardless of what you may read here. You are driving yourself crazy reading all of these very subjective threads. Everyone is looking for something different when they cruise and I think that all of the cruise lines provide something for everyone. IMO timing and itinerary has more of an influence on the overall atmosphere of a cruise than the cruise lines its self. If I would have listened to all of the negative reviews on the 9 day Caribbean Princess sailings I would never have sailed on the ship. I have been on CB 4 times and never experienced what others have reported such as over 500 kids running around. The reason is that I never sail during the peak summer season or when school is out.

But seriously, am I doing the wrong thing to assume I should not sail on HAL anywhere just because some people said Princess is better?

Should I reconsider HAL despite all of the reasons given to sail on a Princess ship instead?

But would I like 8 sea days on the Zaandam as much as I would love 8 sea days on a Princess ship?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Will+I+like+Princess+over+Holland+America

What rough seas are you talking about?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Pacific+Ocean+rough+seas

Google the California Current which runs from north to south, from Alaska to Mexico off the coast of CA. Because of this cold, swift current, it's almost always cold, choppy and/or rough when sailing out of southern CA, whether you're cruising to HI or the Mexican Riviera. You will experience it both leaving and returning for a day and a half to two days each way. That's not even counting any weather systems.

I'm three miles from the coast, about 50 miles south of San Pedro, and the HIGH here a couple of days ago was 69. It's a bit warmer today but I'll still be wearing a sweater.

Like the others have said, contact a travel agent who can answer your questions.

I love both lines, they all have strong & weak points. The only way you can find out is give them a try.

Like the others have said, contact a travel agent who can answer your questions.

Hi Pam....Andrea has been advised probably hundreds of times now to contact a TA. She has replied that she will contact a TA in approximately 2 years, after she's gotten all of her "info", which IMO won't happen in my lifetime. ;)

What rough seas are you talking about? The Pacific Ocean got its name from a lack of tropical storms and hurricanes. Sure, some storm systems occur east of Asia, but I do not know about any typhoons being reported between Hawaii and California.

Enjoy..

Archived