I bought a bunch of stuff for motion sickness but is it to much?

ava_girl_123

I bought Bonine, Ginger Root pills, the wrist band and some kind of oil that you are suppose to dabb behind your ear...

I plan on taking 1 or 2 Ginger pills during the day starting the day before, Bonine at night and wear the wrist band as well.. Will this be ok or am I over doing it? :confused:

DH can not take the Ginger Root as he is on heart meds so he is just going to wear the wrist band..

Do you know if you will get seasick??

Personally, I dont take anything until I get seasick. Works fast.

I dont like the idea of taking meds "just in case" that will affect you.

I like the chewable Bonine, 24 hours that you can just pop in your mouth and chew up if you start to feel it. I dont believe in the bracelets. I with the pharmacist who says they are all in your head. You dont even know if the weather will be rough?? Why not wait and see if you are even affected by the motion of the ship?

In all the cruises I have been on, only once did I get the tiniest bit sea sick due to very rough weather. The cabin steward will give you dramimine for free. Other than that, I have never felt sea sick at all. The ships are so large you really dont feel it moving that much and I am very sensitive to motion. I cant ride most carnival rides and I need dramimine for plane take offs.

I would agree with waiting to take any medications unless you have a history of getting sea sick. I've never gotten sea sick. As mentioned above, sometimes the sailing is so smooth that you don't even know you're moving.

The stretchy type bracelets with the beads have never worked for me but I've heard some say they do work for them.

One thing that does work really well for me is called a Relief Band and it looks like a watch and when you put it on you put a little gel on your wrist and then turn it on. It's run by batteries and sends a little shock to one of your nerves that controls nausea. You can change the setting higher or lower as you need it. It feels weird but after awhile I got used to it. It works super well for me and is almost instantaeous whereas meds take awhile to kick in for me. The downside is it's kind of ugly and you can't swim in it so on a cruise I take bonine. But when I fly to St. Thomas I wear the relief band on the ferry back and forth to St. John instead of taking meds. I tried riding the ferry w/o the band and it does make a difference.

Another thing that really helps when you're feeling bad is to get out on deck in fresh air and stare at the horizon. I've found within a few minutes it does help decrease symptoms. On a rough catamaran ride from Niihau back to Kauai in Hawaii it saved me. Over half the boat was throwing up. The way the staff handled it I think it wasn't unusual though. They had buckets standing by that they filled with water and kept throwing them down to wash the puke away and they didn't seem phased in the slightest. Fun trip but really gross ending to it.

I know I get seasick (and motion sick).. so I take bonnine each night and ginger pills in the morning and sometimes with dinner. I have always been fine. I have never used the oil behind the ear but am interested in trying it on my next cruise.

If you know you are prone to motion sickness, I think you will be fine with just bonnine every night and the ginger every morning. But if you don't tend to get motion sickness, I would try the first day without anything and then just use the ginger if you start feeling sick (it works the quickest in my opinion) and then bonnine/ginger regiment for the rest of the cruise. Don't go assuming you will get sick unless you know you tend to react to motion.

I know I get seasick (and motion sick).. so I take bonnine each night and ginger pills in the morning and sometimes with dinner. I have always been fine. I have never used the oil behind the ear but am interested in trying it on my next cruise.

If you know you are prone to motion sickness, I think you will be fine with just bonnine every night and the ginger every morning. But if you don't tend to get motion sickness, I would try the first day without anything and then just use the ginger if you start feeling sick (it works the quickest in my opinion) and then bonnine/ginger regiment for the rest of the cruise. Don't go assuming you will get sick unless you know you tend to react to motion.

Texas, I've heard so much about ginger but have never tried it. What brand do you use and where do you buy it from?

I have just heard to take stuff before you even get on the ship just in case, because if you do get sick it takes a long time once you are sick..:confused:

We both can ride roller coasters w/o getting sick, if that has anything to do with it..?

I have just heard to take stuff before you even get on the ship just in case, because if you do get sick it takes a long time once you are sick..:confused:

We both can ride roller coasters w/o getting sick, if that has anything to do with it..?

When I get seasick I feel TERRIBLE and it takes anywhere from an hour to two hours before I feel ok again. Not really THAT long but it seems like forever when you're sick. Having said that I probably would not take it until I knew I had a problem with motion. Are you able to read in the car while someone is driving. That's a symptom that many people have who are prone to seasickness.

Re: roller coasters I can ride those too w/o a problem but something that has two different type of motions at the same time like Tea Cups at Disney where the cup itself is moving and the platform the cups are on is moving. THAT is what gets me and most boat rides. Tilt-a-whirl type rides, the swing rides at a carnival... all of those do me in. On a flat lake on a pontoon boat I'm fine and even in a speedboat in the ocean I'm fine but if we stop and drift omg it kills me!

I ride roller coasters, but cannot tolerate rides that go in circles. I also can't read in the car, I actually got REALLY car sick for the first time in 15 year or so coming home from our mission trip a couple of weeks ago. I got sick on my first two cruises and didn't enjoy the first night on either trip, the medication did take a little while to start working. I stick with meclizine (generic Bonine) and start taking it the day before we travel. The side effects (maybe a LITTLE tired) are far worth no feeling sick. I haven't had any need for anything further except maybe ginger ale on the nights the seas are really rough.

I had never had motion sickness on a cruise ship until my first sea day on the Pride. We had Dramamine and Bonine with us, but that interfered with our ability to have a cocktail, so the next trip we wore the bands which helped us. They don't interfere with anything, so why not where them?

I also take ginger pills a few times a day on the sea days which I swear by.

For some reason that particular sailing is rough on me like no other.

The other tip that I can offer is to choose cocktails with gingerale if the seas are rough. It's sort of like drinking diet coke while eating a donut, but every little bit helps. :)

You can find the ginger root at Wal-Mart or any health food store....just look for "ginger root" on the label.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I love anything that's natural and now I have a baby coming so I'm nervous about taking the Bonine. I don't want to take any meds I don't have to.

What if you wouldnt have gotten seasick ... Id want to know rather than take a bunch of meds, some of which dry out your mouth, or make you sleepy, before I took a bunch.

Bonine seems to give me relief very fast, but the chewable might work faster than pills. Chewables work within 5 to 10 minutes for me.

Every kind of motion sick is different. On my honeymoon, I spent the whole first sea day in bed feeling bad. Determined not to let it ruin our honeymoon, I went to the purser's desk and got the pills, though I doubted what I had was seasickness as it didn't feel anything like what I thought it should. Lo and behold, they made me feel better. Same thing on my last cruise, once I started taking the pills I was fine.

Yes, you are supposed to start taking the meds a few days before so your body gets used to them. What I do is put a glass of water and the pills by my bed every night. The first time I stir in the morning, I take them, then go back to sleep. By the time I'm ready to get up and going for the day, I'm fine.

I know there's caution in taking meds you might not need, but IMO it's better than missing a day or two of your (much anticipated) trip. Besides, it's not like you can do much damage when you'd only be taking them for the one week you're gone...

What you DO NOT want to do is overload on these. Mixing rememdies could cause serious side effect that'll be worse than being seasick. Pick one and use it. AND use it as directed.

Some caveats: Ginger remedy appears to be more anecdotal that actual researched cure. Wrist bands will be ineffective if the pressure point isn't touched correctly. Bonine and Dramamine can cause drowsiness, even a bit in the non-drowsy versions. the oil behind the ear stuff may work, but they don't tell you if there are side effects. T

he US Navy's first line of prevention of seasickness is scopolamine patches not the gel. You'll need a prescription but not hard to obtain if healthy.

For first time cruisers, it's normal to feel a bit a vertigo when the ship starts to move. Don't assume you're seasick. Move about, especially outside, and don't focus on near by things.

If you do get sick, be sure to sip water so you don't get dehydrated. And don't lay in bed and watch TV in your cabin. The flickering will make it worse.

I bought Bonine, Ginger Root pills, the wrist band and some kind of oil that you are suppose to dabb behind your ear...

I plan on taking 1 or 2 Ginger pills during the day starting the day before, Bonine at night and wear the wrist band as well.. Will this be ok or am I over doing it? :confused:

DH can not take the Ginger Root as he is on heart meds so he is just going to wear the wrist band..

You probably won't get seasick anyway, but if so you have all you need.

Let me add by saying you may be the most prepared first time cruiser in the history of the world!:)

you over did it. You dont even know if your going to get seasick and last I checked they had free Bonine at the pursers desk. Doubt seriously you will, but I wouldnt take anything until I started feeling it. By taking all that stuff you wont know what does and doesnt work for you. Even if you need it..

When we were getting ready to do some halibut fishing in Homer I went ahead and took Bonine a day before hand since I thought I might get sick, well taking the pills was way worse on me, I was sick the whole day! So when I did go out fishing I found I was just fine as long as I drank water and ate something. On our last cruise it was on the rough side and my husband ended up taking bonine after he felt sick and he felt better with in the hour so I am not sure if I would take the meds before you set sail. You really never know how you are going to feel. Enjoy your trip!

I've always used the "patch" (scoplamine or whatever) but this trip I'm too cheap to pay the $50 on the patch. So, I purchased the generic stuff that starts with an "M" and was gonna get some ginger pills to take with me in case I get sick. When I was little I got car sick BAD, but I guess I have outgrown that part. I'm just terrified of getting sick and ruining my vacation. :(

I swear by the wrist bands. It works better for me if I put them before the ship starts sailing. Then I don't take them off unless we are in port. If it's all in my head, I don't care. It keeps me from being sick. I cruised 10 times before I ever felt sea sick. I don't understand that but the bands work.

I take ginger for rollercoasters and it works for me once I'm already a little queasy. I start taking 2 per day for 2 days before a planned trip to a theme park. (Don't know if it's necessary but I love coasters and want to enjoy myself).

On our last cruise, we had one night of 13-20 ft seas and I got horribly sick (even while on the ginger). I got sea-ease from the purser's desk and it wiped me out. I still felt horrible until I fell asleep so I think I just slept it off.

Another thread here recommended eating granny smith apples at the onset of an upset stomach so I'll try that on my next cruise (in addition to the ginger as needed.)

Archived