Airline Terminology

TEXASMUNK

Mentioned this in a thread, then saw it again in another thread...So, thought I would hopefully clarify!

When an airline says a DIRECT flight...It MIGHT be non-stop or it might make intermediate stops....It is direct because you DO NOT change plans, but a DIRECT flight can have stops between your departure city and your destination.

A NONSTOP flight is exactly that, Point A to Point B, no stops, no connections. So caution when asking for a DIRECT flight.

Mentioned this in a thread, then saw it again in another thread...So, thought I would hopefully clarify!

When an airline says a DIRECT flight...It MIGHT be non-stop or it might make intermediate stops....It is direct because you DO NOT change plans, but a DIRECT flight can have stops between your departure city and your destination.

A NONSTOP flight is exactly that, Point A to Point B, no stops, no connections. So caution when asking for a DIRECT flight.

Sounds correct to me!:)

Many people think nonstop and direct flights are interchangeable terms, but there are differences between the two. A nonstop flight does as its name suggests: flies from one airport to another without stopping. A direct flight, on the other hand, makes stops along the way. Often, passengers traveling on direct flights make a stop at a midpoint airport and remain seated on the plane while some passengers exit and others board.

A nonstop flight is generally the quickest way to get from Point A to Point B, but the major airlines may charge a premium for the convenience. Flights that connect through a carrier's hub cities are often less expensive, and flights on low-fare carriers like Southwest often require at least one connection. Note that while connecting flights may be less expensive, you'll have to pay additional airport charges (Passenger Facility Charges or PFCs) for each airport you stop at

Sounds like someone who either has flown a lot or a current or former airline employee. You are correct, direct makes a stop and non stop is just that. I am a happily retired airline customer service agent and that question has often been asked as well as angered many a passenger when they find out their DIRECT flight makes a stop. So sorry!

One of the difficulties is that many people fall into the trap of thinking that it will look knowledgeable or cool to speak in jargon, when they don't actually know what it means.

Perhaps the most common occurrence here is people who use combinations of three letters because they think it'll look good if they type airport codes rather than name the airports. Only it's immediately obvious that they have no idea what the airport codes are.

Lots of fine differences in jargon: "overbook" and "oversell", for example, in some airlines. ;)

One subtle correction to this. A DIRECT flight may even involve a change of equipment, but continue under the same flight number. In that case, it's not even the same plane..

Example:

DL1450 LAS-BWI mades a stop and an equipment change in MSP, but is still listed as direct

Former DSM for United...Back when it was fun!

You are right...it was fun back in the late 60's and 70's. We were so proud to say we worked for the airlines and particularly UAL. Where were you a DSM? Did you retire from UA? I spent my 35 years in CLE mostly in the red carpet club. Retired in 2003. Hoping the merger will once again make UA great.

You are right...it was fun back in the late 60's and 70's. We were so proud to say we worked for the airlines and particularly UAL. Where were you a DSM? Did you retire from UA? I spent my 35 years in CLE mostly in the red carpet club. Retired in 2003. Hoping the merger will once again make UA great.

And those of us in Houston are hoping that things won't devolve for us....but no one is very optimistic!:eek::p:D

And those of us in Houston are hoping that things won't devolve for us....but no one is very optimistic!:eek::p:D

Do you work for UA or CO in Houston? The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I sent a complimentary letter to CO about how well the gate staff handled delays and cancellations caused by miserable weather. I received a very nice reply yesterday. Many of the gate agents stayed on after their shift to help with the overload. I thought they performed admirably under the circumstances.

Do you work for UA or CO in Houston? The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I sent a complimentary letter to CO about how well the gate staff handled delays and cancellations caused by miserable weather. I received a very nice reply yesterday. Many of the gate agents stayed on after their shift to help with the overload. I thought they performed admirably under the circumstances.

No, just a flyer - but with all that has happened with the airline industry over the past few years, I appreciate the Continental employees and their "work ethic". It's not that way with some of the others (can you say UAL?:D) and those of us who are familiar with Continental are afraid that the UAL way of doing (or NOT doing) things will replace Continental's when there is no more Continental. Time will tell!

Yes, some of us have flown way too much (or so it seems on Fridays). I have corrected many people o the direct/non-stop terminolody issue and have often been told I am wrong.

They find out when they fly their tickets.

Remember on UA when 100,000 flown miles was considered a huge amount? You got a certificate suitable for framing.

One subtle correction to this. A DIRECT flight may even involve a change of equipment, but continue under the same flight number. In that case, it's not even the same plane.
One subtle correction to this. A DIRECT flight may even involve a change of equipment, but continue under the same flight number. In that case, it's just outright fraud. ;)

It's at its most egregious if the first sector is late. It has been known for the second sector to depart rather than wait for the first aircraft to arrive. So all these people who've bought tickets for a "direct" flight find that they've actually misconnected.

I don't understand why this isn't prohibited.

Remember on UA when 100,000 flown miles was considered a huge amount? You got a certificate suitable for framing.

Still have my framed 100k club certificate in a box somewhere. And the luggage tags. Now that I do that in under a year, it's a quaint reminder of "the old days of air travel".

There are various reasons why experienced flyers detest "direct" flights that are not non-stop.

First three examples:

DL 90 is a "direct" flight from ICN (Seoul) to PDX (Portland). However, it stops in NRT (Tokyo) with a change of equipment. Customers can book DL 90 in any of three ways, ICN to NRT, NRT to PDX, or ICN to PDX.

DL 61 is a "direct" flight from JFK to GIG (Rio). However, it stops in ATL with a change of equipment. Customers can book DL 61 in any of three ways.....

DL 269 is a "direct" flight from TLV (Tel Aviv) to MIA. However, it stops in JFK with....you know.

(BTW, DL is not the only culprit, it's just the one I am most familiar with. There are also examples that are entirely domestic.) Now to the downsides:

1. Upgrades and seat assignments are routinely botched and bungled.

2. Mileage credit is not awarded for A to B plus B to C (the BIS miles), but rather for the great circle mileage for A to C, which is always less.

3. The changes of equipment, gates and terminals are at best a nuisance and at worst a major disruption.

4. Misconnects do happen.

From the DL board on Flyertalk: "The other day I was on DL 61 which goes JFK/ATL/GIG. It arrives in ATL at concourse A and leaves from concourse T on a different plane altogether. It's planned - NOT a last minute aircraft swap. JFK/ATL is late, and the thru pax onboard assume they'll be ok going on to Rio! But noooo!! ATL/GIG leaves on time."

Histrionics aside, it's a miserable business practice and should be abolished.

Des Moines??

Ah, but there's more than one Des Moines (even if only the city in Iowa has an airport). We had dinner at a restaurant in the Redondo Beach section of Des Moines-- Washington (just south of SEA, I mean Sea Tac, I mean Seattle Tacoma International Airport). I've found knowing airport codes useful when dealing with travel agents, and even some airline reps, to make it easier for them to find a lesser-known airport on their computers. We currently reside in Fortaleza, Brazil, and rather than spelling it out each time, I often just give the airport code of FOR. It also makes it easier when using online sites such as Expedia, etc., and even those of some airlines, so you can specify one airport and don't have to choose form a dropdown list of airports in the same area. Of course, if you're willing to fly into or out of any airport in or near a city (e.g., Los Angeles, with several airports in the area), it's best to type in the name of the city, rather than just LAX (unless you happen to know the code for "all Los Angeles area airports," which I think is QLA or somethng like that).

I don't understand why this isn't prohibited.

Because evil marketing people like me want to make claims in half-page newspapers adverts boasting about the reach of one's network.

"Experience Rio's beaches, now direct from JFK x times weekly!" sounds much better when competing against TAM (who flies the route non-stop) than, "Tired of New York winters? Experience Rio's beaches, plus the fabulous opportunity to misconnect in Atlanta, now x times weekly."

When in doubt blame a marketing guy -- invariably, it's always their fault :-)

Scott.

I appreciate the information about 'direct flights' - it is misleading.

Booked Raleigh-Durham to London Heathrow, indicated it was direct. After I purchased the non refundable tickets and went to make a seat request, I couldn't understand how such a small plan A310 would be transAtlantic.

On this flight plan, we change planes in Dulles for the rest of the flight - same flight number! I thought I misread the selling information, nope - no indication that we had to change planes.

I have since changed the flight, I didn't want to risk the last flight out of RDU to IAD and miss the change of equipment to LHR - A very wonderful customer service rep told me they would not hold the plane in IAD if the RDU flight was late!!

I appreciate the information about 'direct flights' - it is misleading.

Booked Raleigh-Durham to London Heathrow, indicated it was direct. After I purchased the non refundable tickets and went to make a seat request, I couldn't understand how such a small plan A310 would be transAtlantic.

On this flight plan, we change planes in Dulles for the rest of the flight - same flight number! I thought I misread the selling information, nope - no indication that we had to change planes.

I have since changed the flight, I didn't want to risk the last flight out of RDU to IAD and miss the change of equipment to LHR - A very wonderful customer service rep told me they would not hold the plane in IAD if the RDU flight was late!!

I think you meant an A320 (A310 is a twin-aisle wide-body transatlantic aircraft - however it's relative unusual in North America -- the only ones I can think of are TS/Air Transat and the Canadian Forces).

UA924 RDU-IAD A320

UA924 IAD-LHR B777

Archived