Are Celebrity Specialty Restaurants worth it?

4774Papa

Another point to remember with the Specialty restaurants is the price is there for capacity control. If they did not have extra charges, the reservations would be scooped up in five minutes...Many people including my wife use "I paid for the cruise why should I pay extra."excuse which allows the capacity control charge to work...

Gonzo:

I think we have to be aware that there are people who will avoid paying extra for anything, no matter the cost. Frankly some are just cheap. I know people who will drive 20 miles out of the way to avoid an ATM charge not realizing they just spent more money on gas than the charge would be...

Edited by dkjretired

Interesting point, I would have thought that they would be allocated their share out of the pool would they not? In the same manner those that work at the buffet or grill would receive their prorata portion of the tips or am I misunderstanding?

Celebrity with some exceptions does not pool tips....

Sorry but I don't understand what cost has to do with it unless you want to compare the cost of the providing the specialty restaurant meal as well - since it's unlikely anyone knows for a fact the cost of either why bring that into the discussion?

I can't envision how there isn't a retail value to the meal provided in the MDR which should be considered in a comparison.

Cost of the opportunity to eat a high end meal - really? I find that to be a real stretch.

Huh? :confused: I am not understanding your post.

A couple people commented that a reason to avoid dining in the specialty restaurants is you have already "paid" for a meal in the main dining room. I was opining that this is not sound reasoning on which to base your decision. Just as one can claim they already "paid" for their main dining room dinner, one can also claim they already "paid" for the opportunity to dine in the specialty restaurant.

Doing Tuscan two weeks from Tommorrow, looking forward to it. By the way, I like Texas Roadhouse also, good steaks...The ironic thing about the Specialty restaurants is that the food served is the equivalent in terms of quality to what was served in the MDR years ago on Celebrity....

exactly my concern--if everyone starts paying to eat in the specialty restaurants, what incentive does the cruise line have to provide top quality food in the MDR???:confused:

WE ate in Tuscan on our April Solstice cruise and really did not think it was worth the extra money. MDR food was very good and felt Tuscan was not that much better. I agree that Bistro on Five is well worth the $5 pp charge...especially the dessert crepes.

We have eaten 2x in the Normandie on Summit and I still remember every bite. It was the best meal I have ever eaten on land or sea. We ate at Sabatini's on Princess and I don't remember what my entree was. For $35/pp, it is money well spent.

Doing Tuscan two weeks from Tommorrow, looking forward to it. By the way, I like Texas Roadhouse also, good steaks...The ironic thing about the Specialty restaurants is that the food served is the equivalent in terms of quality to what was served in the MDR years ago on Celebrity....

I must disagree with you Don. The MDR has always been food served to large groups and could be hit and miss. It's always been very good and if you get something that isn't, they will gladly bring you something else.

The specialty restaurants have food that is cooked a la minute and also tableside preparation. There has always been more care given to each course as well. Some of the appetizers and side dishes far outshine anything that was served in the MDR at any time. Whether one likes it or not the service has always been over the top.

A gentle correction - Constellation does not have a Muranos. For food, it has the MDR, plus the original specialty restaurant called Ocean Liners, and a now new specialty restaurant installed during the last dry dock called Tuscan Grille. There is also Bistro on Five, which has sandwiches, salads, crepes and desserts for both lunch and dinner at a modest charge, and Cafe al Bacio, which serves specialty coffees, liqueurs and pastries, also with a modest charge, both also added at the last dry dock. (The Infinity will get these additional food venues during it's next dry dock, which I believe is sometime in 2011.) There is also the original Aqua Spa cafe, serving healthy selections, the pool side grill with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc, and the buffet area, all included with your cruise fare.

You are absolutely correct. My bad:o. The food and service at Ocean Liners was also outstanding.

We have eaten 2x in the Normandie on Summit and I still remember every bite. It was the best meal I have ever eaten on land or sea. We ate at Sabatini's on Princess and I don't remember what my entree was. For $35/pp, it is money well spent.

Can't wait to try Normandie on our December Summit cruise! It looks wonderful.

Alot of good discussions. IMHO it all boils down to one question - can you afford the extra cost for one or two dinners in the specialty restaurants? If the answer is yes, go for it and you will really enjoy the food and even more special service. If adding that extra cost is a stretch for you, stick with the MDR and you will still have a wonderful cruise.

Just back from Equinox. We did Tuscan the first night (half price). Nice experience, but unless you have too much money to spend you can do perfectly without!

Hello, "screwcork."

May I ask ...

(1) Did you sail away from Civitavecchia?

(2) Was it really "half price" (as it should be, in my opinion) ... or was it "two for the price of one?" [The reason I distinguish is this: What if you have a party of one or three, rather than two? Is it truly "half price" for each or ...?]

(3) Did the "special" apply only to the Tuscan Grille, or did it apply to all three specialty restaurants?

Thanks!

On the Freedom I enjoyed Portofino's without question. On the Solstice, we were AQ and ate in Blu each night except for one when we tried Tuscany. While the food was very good, not more so than Blu to us so I don't think it was worth the extra $$. Sailing her again in October and trying out the MDR.

On Pearl, was the best and largest filet I ever had with superb service. Worth the extra $25.

Might also add that after dinner drinks (Cognac) are quite resonable for what is delivered. Very large snifter goblet at $8 range, large enough for two to share if you care to share. Seemed to be true at all specialty restuarants onboard. Better than from the bars. Perhaps just a good server. JB

The specialty restaurants have food that is cooked a la minute and also tableside preparation. There has always been more care given to each course as well. Some of the appetizers and side dishes far outshine anything that was served in the MDR at any time. Whether one likes it or not the service has always been over the top.

With regard to the specialty restaurants on Celebrity I totally agree with your statement.

However with other cruise lines, in particular NCL, I would respectfully disagree.

But I'm looking forward to Blu, Murano, AND Tuscan Grille on board Equinox in November!

Curious about Blu...

I know it's a restaurant that comes with Aquaclass cabins on S-class ships but is there a Blu (or equivalent) on the M-class ships?

Also can you purchase a meal in Blu like you can with Tuscan Grille on the S-class ships? :confused:

Curious about Blu...

I know it's a restaurant that comes with Aquaclass cabins on S-class ships but is there a Blu (or equivalent) on the M-class ships?

Also can you purchase a meal in Blu like you can with Tuscan Grille on the S-class ships? :confused:

Hi,:) nope. The M class ships don't have the equivalent Blu.

And as for purchasing a meal there? You mean if you are not in

Aqua Class? Suite Pax can pay 5.00 on a space availability basis

if they want to try a dinner there. It is not open to other cabin

categories.

Hello, "screwcork."

May I ask ...

(1) Did you sail away from Civitavecchia?

(2) Was it really "half price" (as it should be, in my opinion) ... or was it "two for the price of one?" [The reason I distinguish is this: What if you have a party of one or three, rather than two? Is it truly "half price" for each or ...?]

(3) Did the "special" apply only to the Tuscan Grille, or did it apply to all three specialty restaurants?

Thanks!

1. Yes

2. Well, we were 4 and paid half price for all 4. I believe the same thing should happen to a party of 3.

3. It applied to all three.

Screwcork

Absolutely pay the $35pp (or less) for the Specialty Restaurants. The Murano and Ocean Liner restaurants in the Solstice or Solsticized ships are very much worth it as is Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grill. Even thought the MDR serves good food that is leaps and bound better than other cruise lines, the specialty restaurants take it up a notch or two and just the ambience makes it a much better experience.

We are going on another Cleebrity 8 day cruise in early September and we are booking at least 3 nights in specialty, 2 in OL and at least one in TG.

Enjoy!!

We have 2 girls 8 and 6 they love to go to fancy resteraunts. Are they allowed to goto the specialty resteraunts if we pay for them? We will be on the Eclipse in Nov.

I think Murano does have an age limit but the others are open for all ages. Qsine would probably be the most fun for children. Bistro on 5 might be fun for them too.

Edited by Gonzo70

We have 2 girls 8 and 6 they love to go to fancy resteraunts. Are they allowed to goto the specialty resteraunts if we pay for them? We will be on the Eclipse in Nov.

They are allowed in Tuscan Grille and Qsine. They will be most comfortable in Qsine. Unless your 2 yr old has really adult tastes for steak, etc. the menu at Tuscan Grille might be more limiting. Qsine has great options that are kids friendly. The Kobe Beef Sliders (mini-burgers) were the best hamburgers that I can ever remember having. The popcorn fish and chips were also great. It is family style so whatever you order is to share for the table - a great way to let kids try some different things. The Desserts are perfect for kids. (actually they are perfect for adults too!!)