Ft. Lauderdale hotel pre-cruise choice of three???

oliviaonthe beach

Please provide input if you have strong opinions. I am trying to choose between the following options for a pre-cruise stay prior to our Thanksgiving week Oasis of the Seas cruise. We have ALWAYS stayed at Embassy Suites so I hate to break with tradition, but this is the costliest family vacation thus far and our last stay at Embassy Suites was the least pleasant. If you have first hand recent knowledge/opinion about any of them. Thanks in advance and here are our choices:

Embassy Suites: 199.00

Crowne Plaza: 179.10

Hyatt Place: 127.00

Please provide input if you have strong opinions. I am trying to choose between the following options for a pre-cruise stay prior to our Thanksgiving week Oasis of the Seas cruise. We have ALWAYS stayed at Embassy Suites so I hate to break with tradition, but this is the costliest family vacation thus far and our last stay at Embassy Suites was the least pleasant. If you have first hand recent knowledge/opinion about any of them. Thanks in advance and here are our choices:

Embassy Suites: 199.00

Crowne Plaza: 179.10

Hyatt Place: 127.00

Personally, I'd stay at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South for $116, especially with a family. That's for a studio with full kitchen and sofa sleeper. A one bedroom/2 bath suite is only $10 more at $126.

ES is of course perfect. The new Crowne Plaza looks very nice, but there is nothing there to walk to. I'm not sure which Hyatt Place you are considering, but either would be a good choice and that is a good price.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites about 8-9 times and have never had a bad eperience. Are doing so again in 2 weeks. However, the price you quote is the highest and certainly a big difference from the $127.

If you have stayed beofre, you must be an Hilton Honors member. Have yout tried the MVP rate for HH members? When you go to book the Embassy Suites enter 0560041604 as a corporate code. It usually brings up a much lower rate.

If not, you have to ask yourself if the extra $$ is really worth the EMbassy... on the surface, it doesn;t seem it. Also, consider what would you pay for the included full cooked to order breakfast and the managers reception at the other hotels??

I know that an awful lot of cruisers out of Ft. Lauderdale seem to love the Embassy Suits. I seem to be in a minority of one, but I have never cared for it, and find the rooms and furniture to be dismally depressing. I will grant you, I have never tried the Ft. Lauderdale hotel, but have stayed at many other ES hotels, and just dont care for them.

Thanks for all the input...leaning toward Hyatt Place North but holding on to Embassy Suites reservation for just a bit longer. Ruling out Crowne Plaza. We like walking around the adjacent area the evening before the cruise.

Then you should avoid the Crowne Plaza.

Anyone know how old Hyatt Place is? DH swears it was being built last time we were at Embassy Suites, but some of the reviews refer to it as dated and needing an update...confused. Most reviews are good so I am basically ignoring the negative nellies.

Also, for Embassy Suites regulars...there used to be a lovely Mexican restaurant next door that closed a while back...is that where Outback Steakhouse is now?

Also, for Embassy Suites regulars...there used to be a lovely Mexican restaurant next door that closed a while back...is that where Outback Steakhouse is now?

We have been going to the ES and the Outback for many years now... never knew it to be a Mexican resturant

I know that an awful lot of cruisers out of Ft. Lauderdale seem to love the Embassy Suits. I seem to be in a minority of one, but I have never cared for it, and find the rooms and furniture to be dismally depressing. I will grant you, I have never tried the Ft. Lauderdale hotel, but have stayed at many other ES hotels, and just dont care for them.

I like the Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites and have stayed there when we weren't going on a cruise, but it's just that this Embassy Suites is always overpriced (as all Embassy Suites are to us). And as Hilton Diamond members we stay at a lot of different Hilton properties. On top of the overpricing they also charge for parking.

Anyone know how old Hyatt Place is? DH swears it was being built last time we were at Embassy Suites, but some of the reviews refer to it as dated and needing an update...confused. Most reviews are good so I am basically ignoring the negative nellies.

You're confusing the Hyatt Place North with the Hyatt Place South. The South property opened in January.

Embassy Suites on 17th is a perfect place.

Close to airport

Close to Port of Everglade.

Walking distance to many nice places to eat

Close to liquor & wine stores

Close to drug Stores

And close to a Ross For Less in case you forgot something.

Keep in mind the Embassy Suites has a 2 hour managers cocktail hour

5 to 7 and a FULL breakfast the next morning all included in the price.

Now put a $$ amount to those to items having to go out and pay for it.

Hyatt Place north used to be Amerisuites. It has been there for 10-15 yrs to my recollection.

There are 2 Mexican restaurants in the area. Carlos & Pepes next to ES on 17th St is still open, although it may have closed for a short time a couple of yrs ago. The one down the same road as Hyatt Place north is closed. Outback was never either of these; I think it was built as an Outback.

Embassy Suites on 17th is a perfect place.

Close to airport

Close to Port of Everglade.

Walking distance to many nice places to eat

Close to liquor & wine stores

Close to drug Stores

And close to a Ross For Less in case you forgot something.

Keep in mind the Embassy Suites has a 2 hour managers cocktail hour

5 to 7 and a FULL breakfast the next morning all included in the price.

Now put a $$ amount to those to items having to go out and pay for it.

Lots of hotels are close to places to eat, the airport, cruise port and Walgreens. The manager's reception always sounds good in theory, but I'm not usually hanging around the hotel at that time just to get a couple of free drinks when I'd rather be out on the Water Taxi or up at Lighthouse Point. Besides, the charge for parking negates all that for me.

Does the Embassy Suites have a shuttle to/from airport and cruise terminal? If so, it the shuttle free or is there a charge? If no shuttle, what are the approximate costs for a cab from the airport to the ES and the ES to the pier? Thanks for any help! :)

You can book Hyatt Place North for $109 plus tax on Valuetrips.com It is very nice and has an airport shuttle and a cruise shuttle.

I agree. The rooms are nice, it's convenient (right next to Embassy Suites), includes breakfast and they have shuttles from airport/to pier.

Valuetrips.com has the best pricing I've found.

Archived