u.s. credit cards

vino100

The problem is usually with vending machines (e.g., train tickets). I would not be surprised if merchants start rejecting non-chip credit cards, but I have not yet had this problem.

We had a problem when trying to purchase tickets in the machine for Montserrat. The machine asked for a 4 digit PIN and no one in our group had a PIN for their credit card. We all ended up paying cash for the tickets. I had no other problems using it for any other purchases.

In London last September my wife was asked for an ID because her credit card did not have a chip. That was the extent of it as neither of us were required to show an ID again during 21 days in Europe. It's a non issue.

Lew

I personally helped Spain, France and Italy stave off bankruptcy this past Spring ;) I had no problems using any of my cards - Visa, Visa Debit, AMEX. I used my VISA Debit to buy train tickets from machines in France without a problem. In Barcelona, one store asked to see my ID, but that was all. You should be able to get a PIN for any credit card - call your card company for one if you are worried.

There was a story in the travel section of our paper talking about this. Many merchants in Europe only take cards with a chip and not a stripe. And it will be getting worse. You can Google the stories but here's a link.

"More and more Americans encounter trouble — often major trouble — trying to use their credit cards in Europe, and the troubles are spreading to other countries. Unfortunately, for now, this is a serious problem without a serious solution. A fix, if any, is probably months if not years away, and meanwhile the situation for U.S. travelers keeps getting worse. ...Banks almost everywhere else are switching to the newer "chip-and-pin" system: When you buy something, a terminal or an automatic machine reads information from a memory chip embedded in your card"

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/100114769.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUqyE5D7UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_15624783

Thank you one and all for the info.I feel much better now that most likely my credit card should work.Only 29 days before I put that credit card to work.

Be sure to notify your credit card issuers of your travel plans: countries and dates.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Be sure to notify your credit card issuers of your travel plans: countries and dates.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Not only that, I think its also better to take two different credit cards. Friends notified their banks they'd be gone but still had a temporary hold placed on one of them - it had slipped thru somehow. At least if you have two cards, the other can be used until you can notify the bank and while they are correcting your problem.

Not only that, I think its also better to take two different credit cards. Friends notified their banks they'd be gone but still had a temporary hold placed on one of them - it had slipped thru somehow. At least if you have two cards, the other can be used until you can notify the bank and while they are correcting your problem.

Definitely agree with this. I notified all my cards and still had holds pop-up on almost all of them.

I also wouldn't worry about the chip issue for the most part except for vending machines as mentioned. Even if vendors move to new point-of-sale devices they would be smart to have a way for older cards and US shoppers.

A funny thing I found in Sorrento was when buying in a gallery that did not have a credit card machine. He was really 'old school' with the sliding machine to make an impression of the card and carbon copy receipt.

Some newer CC terminals will not have swipeable magnetic stripe readers anymore and therefore will only accept chip cards. But most terminals are still dual purpose. On another topic you may be asked to show id when using CC; usually passport photocopy is good enough.

Archived