What to pack when leaving ship?

Amanda86

Not sure what to take with us when we get off the ship in the ports. I dont want to take a back pack but it seem that is what is going to happen. We have three port days, Jamaica-atv tour, Grand cayman-Snorkeling at eden rock and Cozumel-Nachi Cocom. All seem to require swim suits and towels, may be a change of clothes which makes for a full back pack for 2 people.

What do you take and do many people carry a bag of some sort around in port?

Depends what we're doing...if we're just wandering and shopping, I carry my normal "purse stuff", in a purse!

If we're going to a beach, I carry a tote, with "beach stuff"...sunscreen, book, water, towels,....

Pack what you need for what you're doing....don't bring anything too large, or you'll end up being the "pack mule" for your party!

we have a rule....you bring it off the ship, then you carry it! i used to carry the tote bag of all tote bags at every port until i made everyone responsible for their own stuff! the kids use backbacks, i usually pick up cheap tote bags in ports, something characteristic of the island.

Beverly

I hate to take too much stuff off the ship, especially if we're going to be walking around after the shore excursion.

Here's what I do - When we have a "wet" type of excursion I take a bag that our wet suits and towels go in. Once we're done with the water excursion I put everything into that bag, roll it up and put it in the backpack/duffle/beach bag.

For water excursions we wear our suits with shorts and tees or a sundress over the top. We take our water shoes (if necessary), towels and sunblock.

If it's not a water type excursion, I typically take my purse, which for cruising is a bit bigger than what I carry at home, so I can lug my husbands camera, wallet, cell phone, etc. I don't take much else off the ship if it's a dry excursion. You'll pretty much find what you need off the ship if you happen to need it.

I have been known to take though a small bottle of sunscreen, wet wipes (in a Ziploc bag), hand sanitizer and a small bottle of water (just depends on how long we're off the ship and where we're going).

I'm a big, take everything you can think of packer when I pack for a cruise, but a light packer when I go on shore.

I have a small day pack for going on shore. What I take varies with the event, but it almost always includes camera, sunscreen, a few zip lock bags, ship's ID, ATM or credit card, and a little cash.

For ATVing, I'd bring several wash n dry or wet naps, or even a damp towel in a baggie.

If there's a swimming opportunity, I'll wear my bathing suit under my clothes and bring dry underwear with me. I check to see if towels will be provided so I don't have to carry them. Since I burn I'll bring a swimming t-shirt to wear in the water.

Normally I hate a back pack, but it is so much more comfortable for me when sight seeing than a tote that I'd prefer it. But that's personal choice.

It depends on what we are doing and how long we will be gone for. We don't go to the islands, so we are taking tours (usually private) to see the area. Many of our tours are all day and there is often a chance of rain. We usually take one backpack. It would have, water, snacks, umbrellas, extra camera batteries, extra memory stick, sweater (if it could get cool).

If you want to go really simple

1) Wear the suit under your clothes and bring a plastic bag for storing your suit after wards.

2) I'd bring a waterpoof camera, waterproof purse and bottle of water

3) A towel but only if the excursion doesn't provide any.

Its an excursion of course you need to bring something :D

In some ports I came off with nothing but my wallet and camera and the clothes on my body, other places a backpack with extra jacket, snacks, water, sunscreen, spare batteries, couple camera lenses, binoculars etc. etc. etc.

Not sure what to take with us when we get off the ship in the ports. I dont want to take a back pack but it seem that is what is going to happen. We have three port days, Jamaica-atv tour, Grand cayman-Snorkeling at eden rock and Cozumel-Nachi Cocom. All seem to require swim suits and towels, may be a change of clothes which makes for a full back pack for 2 people.

What do you take and do many people carry a bag of some sort around in port?

When we're doing water excursions we need to take our one beach bag for the two of us. Never any problem doing that. Towels, sunscreen, hairbrush, kleenex, hat and sunglasses if we're not wearing them, if needed watershoes, camera, bottle of water. We wear our clothes over our swimwear and we're always dry enough to put our clothing back on over our swimwear when its time to return to the port area. At some ports when we're done at the beach we return to the ship to drop off the beach bag and go back out to explore the area around the port. If our time after returning from the beach area is short or its a LONG walk back down a long pier to the ship we have no problem carrying our beach bag around the port area.

If not going to the beach I carry I an over the shoulder purse large enough to hold only those things we need while in port.

Thanks for the responses.

Seems like all of our excursions require us to bring towels. That is what takes up much of the space in the bag and makes me need a larger bag then I like. Yes I have test run to see what I can fit in to the bag at home. I'm a planner hate to bring a bag to small.

would suggest for your ATV tour to take bandanas those are DIRTY/DUSTY rides and the wet wipes and things that one poster mentioned will be NEEDED!!--if you havent done the ATV thing either good idea to wear sunglasses or goggle types if you prefer...

i always wear a light weight pair of gloves too i grip the bars better and its better to wear long pants and sturdy type shoes--dont know what your tour suggests but i have been riding ATVs for years so i thought i would offer the suggestions:)

Everyone carry's their own bag. We have a couple of those silky type bags that have a very slim rope type that goes over each shoulder (I guess like the kids playing soccer carry??) Much less weight than a backpack and takes up no space in the bottom of the suitcase. Sand just slides off the material. Each person puts a change of underwear in a zip lock bag at the very bottom, and a towel and sunscreen. We also have a water wallet with our SeaPass card, credit card and some cash, which never leaves our body. We wear the swimsuit with a pair of lightweight shorts and tank over the swimsuit. When we finish at the beach, we rinse off (because there's nothing worse than walking around with sand rubbing your skin raw) and put our underwear on under our shorts and tank. We wear flip flops. It's easy and lightweight. YOu can add a bottle of water, sample size of shampoo even, if there's a place in private to shower and change. Otherwise we rinse off in the outdoor shower and change in the private restroom area.

I have a small duffel that isn't cutesy. My husband will carry that, he would not enjoy carrying a floral tote bag.

I'm not a big fan of backpacks, since I tend to just sling them over one shoulder, I don't enjoy a hot backpack on my back. The duffel has a cotton rope handle, easy to sling and it closes securely. Plus the duffel itself weighs almost nothing.

Don't forget bug spray if you will be in an area that you may need it!

I use a backpack to keep my hands free. I don't like to have to hold onto a lot of bags while shopping.

Don't forget a photo ID along with your boarding pass. Some ports require photo ID to get back to the ship.

The kid soccer bag thing works great as we have one already. Cut down to one towel and rethink clothing everything fits and its small.

Do you take your passport off the ship in the ports. What happens if you get left in port and you dont have it on you.

Instead of an umbrella, bring a small emergency poncho. They are very small and can easily fit into a pocket let alone any bag. You can get them in the camping section at Walmart for less than $1 each. Showers pop-up quickly and and be quick heavy in the Caribbean (or the Keys if that is one of your ports).

Archived