Suez Canal ????

EOS-User

Hi Guys;

Your valuable help please... :o

We & friends are considering a 2011 cruise which would incorporate the Suez Canal...

Early findings are that all cruises which do so are portions of a world cruise; and consequently transit the canal in either January (outbound UK) or March/April time (inbound UK)...

Anybody know if any cruise lines 'do' the Suez as part of a 'regular' cruise?

We're not particularly fussed if it's incorporated as part of either a Med based or a Gulf based cruise; but would prefer timing to be Spring or Autumn...

Thanks in advance...

Check Thomson cruises- although one ship stays in the Red Sea all winter, I've heard that this year there's going to be an exchange of ships, so one in & one out through the canal in Feb/March.

Costa does sailings in winter, and I believe her Dubai sailings come through the canal from Italy first. Her new ship was docked next to us in Sharm el Sheikh this Feb, on her way to Dubai. Her old ship was returning when she had her accident in Sharm.

MSC may do this also, but apart from Thomson's, the canal area is pretty quiet in winter.

Check with Thomson's site on the internet, and Costa....their new ship may be doing the same trip next year.

Jo.

Thanks all for your comments so far...

Keith1010; not sure if your post was a typo or not; but yes, we're looking at Suez, not Panama. I've seen ads for RCI, but they're winter sectors; and we're really looking for Spring or Autumn...

Paul929207; thanks for the invite! Would be nice; but work still playing havoc with my social life; can't afford 28 days off; but I'll check them out for a shorter sector...

jocap; thanks for the heads-up on Costa; I hadn't considered them... Aren't they mainly Italian targetted? I don't expect much to happen down that way in the summer; it's too darned hot... but Spring/Autumn time in the S/W Med & Gulf regions is beautiful!

Any more input gratefully received...

Cheers...

Thanks all for your comments so far...

Keith1010; not sure if your post was a typo or not; but yes, we're looking at Suez, not Panama. I've seen ads for RCI, but they're winter sectors; and we're really looking for Spring or Autumn...

Paul929207; thanks for the invite! Would be nice; but work still playing havoc with my social life; can't afford 28 days off; but I'll check them out for a shorter sector...

jocap; thanks for the heads-up on Costa; I hadn't considered them... Aren't they mainly Italian targetted? I don't expect much to happen down that way in the summer; it's too darned hot... but Spring/Autumn time in the S/W Med & Gulf regions is beautiful!

Any more input gratefully received...

Cheers...

Yes, it was a typo. Princess and RCI both have cruise that transit the Suez (not the Panama) canal.

I did see the Costa ship in port this past spring. I would check with a good TA to see what the passenger mix will be like. It was a new ship.

Personally, I would go with RCI or Princess before them.

Keith

Some specialty cruises transit the Suez canal. I am on a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity (small ship with <400 passengers) that will do this in late November. Technically still Fall. :)

I think most of the larger mass market lines stay with the tried-and-true Med ports through the Spring and Fall months to maximize the attractiveness of their offerings to all passengers. I'd imagine this itinerary appeals to a smaller group.

EOS- yes, Costa are based in Italy, but they're targetting UK/Ireland at the moment....Lots of these folk go on their ships, with widely differing views.

Apart from Costa, Thomson's and MSC, there's very little traffic in the Med in winter....1 RCI and 1 NCL doing a S. Med cruise. The rest are mainly the sectors of world cruises, or, as Cruisemom says, the small lines such as V of Antiquity/ or V of Discovery.

This year's new Costa, Deliziosa, sailed thru' the canal for a special naming at Dubai.

The next new Costa is being built at Fincantieri, Italy, and should be ready by next spring. Watch for where she's headed for her maiden!!!:cool:

Jo.

Hi Guys;

We & friends are considering a 2011 cruise which would incorporate the Suez Canal...

Early findings are that all cruises which do so are portions of a world cruise; and consequently transit the canal in either January (outbound UK) or March/April time (inbound UK)...

We're not particularly fussed if it's incorporated as part of either a Med based or a Gulf based cruise; but would prefer timing to be Spring or Autumn...

Thanks in advance...

RCI do Suez Canal cruise in April 2011 (also one in January) - I booked April cruise and can't wait to see all these countries!

Hi Guys;

Thanks in advance...

Yes! Azamara Quest April 24, Dubai to Athens, 12 nights. Come join us. There is only one stop in Eqypt. Or, you can do the 24 night Singapore to Athens. Or Dubai to Athens and than following cruise to Israel.

The Quest is great. We were on her this past February.

Yes! Azamara Quest April 24, Dubai to Athens, 12 nights. Come join us. There is only one stop in Eqypt. Or, you can do the 24 night Singapore to Athens. Or Dubai to Athens and than following cruise to Israel.

The Quest is great. We were on her this past February.

Hi Jade13; NICE ONE :D Many thanks for this; I'll certainly take a peek at that...

jocap/Trouble-T; Thanks for your suggestions... I'll be checking them all out...

Gotta have something to look forward to; today it's cool & grey - and it's mid-summer!!!!

Agree- cold, grey and windy....that's why we have a break in the Red Sea in winter......

Jo.

Archived