Room Blow Dryers

jcscv

Ok, maybe a silly question, but I'm in the middle of packing for my cruise (This Weekend :D:):D:):D:)) and was debating if I should take my blow dryer or use the one provided in the room. How are the room blow dryers? I have somewhat long hair, and don't want to spend half the cruise waiting for it to dry or it just not styling good...thought?

Thanks!

Ok, maybe a silly question, but I'm in the middle of packing for my cruise (This Weekend :D:):D:):D:)) and was debating if I should take my blow dryer or use the one provided in the room. How are the room blow dryers? I have somewhat long hair, and don't want to spend half the cruise waiting for it to dry or it just not styling good...thought?

Thanks!

Take your own. They are rubbish if you have anything other than very short hair. I ended up buying one in port one year.

You'll get a lot of different opinions because everyone's hair is different. The hair dryers are small and have warm and hot. I've found them to be fine but then I have short hair. What will affect your hair more than the dryer is the very soft water; it's probably much softer than you're used to so your hair will dry and act differently.

My hair's quite thick and past the shoulders. It took a really long time to dry my hair and the dryer actually shut off in the middle of the whole process the last time I used it. I had to give it a few minutes to cool down again before it would turn back on.

My DW has rather thick medium-length hair, and while she said it's never happened in other cabins we've been in on Princess ships, the dryer this summer on the Pacific Princess was getting too hot to hold before her hair was dry.

Big Guy ..... those hair dryers on the "little ladies" are very different from the ones on the larger Princess ships. I have heard others comment on them getting so hot that they had difficulty using them.

The ones on the bigger ships are "puny" ..... weak air flow and they don't heat up as well as the kind most of us re used to at home. I have short but thick hair, and I always take my own when I cruise.

Oh wow....I just posted a question about hairdryers on our roll call thread. So...on Emerald are the dryers in the cabin or in the bathroom area? I think after reading these posts I will bring mine anyways. I like to dry my hair in the cabin away from steam after a shower, and I have a small hairdryer I can bring.

My DW has rather thick medium-length hair, and while she said it's never happened in other cabins we've been in on Princess ships, the dryer this summer on the Pacific Princess was getting too hot to hold before her hair was dry.
Uh, I would have immediately reported it to the cabin steward and have it replaced. Not something to fool around with. On my first HAL cruise, the hair dryer in my cabin was held together (and not very well) by rubber bands; the innerds were exposed to my wet hair. I immediately reported it and it was replaced. But it blows my mind that no one had apparently thought of saying something before because someone had to put those bands on it.

Here are a couple of photos of the hair dryer on Princess:

411641661_hairdryer1.jpg.187c8f9828d89f0eb2344713217c648c.jpg

78319774_hairdryer2.jpg.2c453c96db987dc75a4763f81b44ed56.jpg

We were in a balcony room, Baja deck, on the Golden and the hair dryer was located out by our balcony door at the desk area. At first this bothered me but then I realized it was okay because I had plenty of room to set my flat iron and make-up. There is a mirror there and great lighting. Plus, my hubby could then use the bathroom to get ready.

The hair dryer worked fine for me, I have thick hair just above my shoulders. I always let it air dry for while anyway, so I did allow extra time to get ready.

With all this said, however, it would have been nice to have my own hair dryer....but I chose to use that room in my suitcase for other things. So, basically, same thing as what most people have said....if you have room and want to use that room for your hair dryer then bring it.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!

My hair's quite thick and past the shoulders. It took a really long time to dry my hair and the dryer actually shut off in the middle of the whole process the last time I used it. I had to give it a few minutes to cool down again before it would turn back on.

I have had those hair dryers shut off for me a number of times. I always bring my own, very small, travel blow dryer. I just have it ready for when the cruise ships dryer gives out. My hair is chin length and not very thick.

I'd say, the dryers last about 5-7 minutes on high before shutting down.

Thanks!

I have long hair and brought my own hair dryer... but never used it. I used the one provided in our room. We were in E-731 and the dryer was located at the desk between the bed and living area. I thought it was odd, but it turned out to be a good location so I could either watch tv or look out the balcony while drying my hair. Never encountered any problems with it...

So, if I bring my travel blowdryer along for our Greek Isles cruise, will I be able to plug it in without an adapter?

Jennifer

Yes, but at least on the Ruby the outlet in the bathroom was marked shavers only and my wife had to use her's at the desk mirror.

Also, if you are spending any nights in a hotel you will need an adapter. Same problem with bathrooms at the hotels for us, we had to use an outlet in the room. Her dryer ran on either 120 or 240V so all we needed was the plug adapter, not a transformer. My experience is the transformers don't work with items like hair dryers very well (only electronics) and if your in the market for a dryer look for one that runs on both voltages.

Big Guy ..... those hair dryers on the "little ladies" are very different from the ones on the larger Princess ships. I have heard others comment on them getting so hot that they had difficulty using them.

The ones on the bigger ships are "puny" ..... weak air flow and they don't heat up as well as the kind most of us re used to at home. I have short but thick hair, and I always take my own when I cruise.

That's consitent with what she said in that she didn't remember any issues with they dryers on the bigger newer ships that we've been on. Even though we were on the Tahitian a few years ago and she couldn't recall an issue.

I would have immediately reported it to the cabin steward and have it replaced.

Maybe we should have. I was taking a little artistic license in saying it was "too hot to handle" but more accurately I should have said "too hot to be comfortable." We never felt there was a fire danger!

just back off ruby and for the first time on a cruise I didn't take my hairdryer,

It is above the dressing table so you can sit comfortably and have a huge mirror in front of you. The cable was really long and it had 2 heat settings. I have shoulderblade length hair and it dried my hair really well. As pam says - the water is really soft so this changes how your hair will behave. My almost poker straight hair became rather wavey which I quite liked but can't replicate with ease at home.........is that good enough reason to go back on the ship next week do you think???????

Oh wow....I just posted a question about hairdryers on our roll call thread. So...on Emerald are the dryers in the cabin or in the bathroom area? I think after reading these posts I will bring mine anyways. I like to dry my hair in the cabin away from steam after a shower, and I have a small hairdryer I can bring.

Was on the Emerald last week. The dryers are in the cabin area, not in the bathroom. And they are crap. I started drying my hair, which is below my shoulders and thick, my husband got in the shower, out, dressed in his tux and I was still drying my hair. After that is was a ponytail for the rest of the cruise.:)

Archived