What exactly are "foodies"

KimberleyFL

:D

Non-foodies like food too....we just aren't obsessed.

I'm one...and I have a few pounds to prove it.

My DH and I eat out a few times a week...but we go to "to eat"....not for "the dining experience". After we eat it's either "I liked it" or "I didn't like it."

I don't cook very much...never did. I just make basics at home.

Me, more so that DH....really dislikes "fancy food". Both of us dislike "sauce" on the food. The last time we "had a dining experience" with friends my husband got sick.

We are married almost 25 years...and never once had a conversation about food per se. (Well...he tells me I eat too much...but we don't discuss the quality of the food I'm eating too much of....just the quantity.)

DH has "foodie friends" that like to cruise also...but I won't go with them because I know there will be "dining issues".

You put it well.:D

Why do people think we are snobs?

True foodies don't act like they are better than anyone else. They appreciate the perfect steak as much as the perfect Chicago style hotdog. A fine restaurant as much as the best food push cart. A recipe from an old Gourmet magazine or from an old Mexican woman. Good food, good atmosphere, good friends. A restaurant, a street vender, a warm home. A weird ingredient, an ice cold beer.

As long as they taste good of coarse.

Yes, I'm a foodie!

Thanks everyone for so many different views. I'd like to think most foodies are like this. This definition gets my vote.

True foodies don't act like they are better than anyone else. They appreciate the perfect steak as much as the perfect Chicago style hotdog. A fine restaurant as much as the best food push cart. A recipe from an old Gourmet magazine or from an old Mexican woman. Good food, good atmosphere, good friends. A restaurant, a street vender, a warm home. A weird ingredient, an ice cold beer.

Yes, I'm a foodie!

Absolutely! Spot on! It's not about the price. I've had a street food taco elicit more of a reaction than a uninspired white tablecloth meal. You get it!

To me a "foodie" is a person that thinks their tastes are better than yours. Or perhaps people that food is their primary concern when cruising. Or not. But I find the term lacking as you say. Ambiguous.

I don't think most of these complainers of inedible food are foodies. They give us a bad name.

Yes, I'm a foodie!

Absolutely! I remember about 10 years ago, my mom picked up one of my copies of Fine Cooking. She was surprised to see that one of the articles that issue was "how to cook a great burger on the grill" and another was "quick skillet mac and cheese." I told her that good cooking is about making good food from fresh ingredients to share with the people we love. We are just as happy to find the perfect little hole-in-the-wall as we are to find the perfect linen tablecloth four-star venue. (Truth is that we pick the hole-in-the-wall over the linen almost every time.)

I suppose some might consider us food "snobs," but not in the way that most people interpret that. I'm a very good cook and baker, and we are extremely particular about the foods we eat. I often create my own recipes (although once in a while this results in "let's order pizza" night) and have learned several ethnic cooking and baking styles. I mention this not as a brag (although I am proud of what I've learned over the past few decades), but to explain our style.

We certainly love good food and enjoy sharing it with friends and family, but we it's not something we spend enough time on to be considered foodies. When we travel, we don't plan our days/nights around meals/food and don't do food-related excursions. While we do more than "eat to live," neither do we "live to eat."

We generally prefer dining at home (or at friends/family's homes) on fresh food that we or they (or both) have prepared. We don't care for most restaurant food; we care even less for pretentious "cuisine"; we have a few favorite restaurants, which are mostly places that cater to locals and that serve fresh, whole foods prepared well.

Anyway, I think there are quite a number of misconceptions about "foodie" and "gourmet" and "gourmand" and pretty much any term that is food related.

beachchick

Absolutely! I remember about 10 years ago, my mom picked up one of my copies of Fine Cooking. She was surprised to see that one of the articles that issue was "how to cook a great burger on the grill" and another was "quick skillet mac and cheese." I told her that good cooking is about making good food from fresh ingredients to share with the people we love. We are just as happy to find the perfect little hole-in-the-wall as we are to find the perfect linen tablecloth four-star venue. (Truth is that we pick the hole-in-the-wall over the linen almost every time.)

I suppose some might consider us food "snobs," but not in the way that most people interpret that. I'm a very good cook and baker, and we are extremely particular about the foods we eat. I often create my own recipes (although once in a while this results in "let's order pizza" night) and have learned several ethnic cooking and baking styles. I mention this not as a brag (although I am proud of what I've learned over the past few decades), but to explain our style.

We certainly love good food and enjoy sharing it with friends and family, but we it's not something we spend enough time on to be considered foodies. When we travel, we don't plan our days/nights around meals/food and don't do food-related excursions. While we do more than "eat to live," neither do we "live to eat."

We generally prefer dining at home (or at friends/family's homes) on fresh food that we or they (or both) have prepared. We don't care for most restaurant food; we care even less for pretentious "cuisine"; we have a few favorite restaurants, which are mostly places that cater to locals and that serve fresh, whole foods prepared well.

Anyway, I think there are quite a number of misconceptions about "foodie" and "gourmet" and "gourmand" and pretty much any term that is food related.

beachchick

I mean this very seriously....because I know people like this

How do you eat when you travel?

My husband has a friend with a wife who won't eat at my home without criticism, and she won't eat in restaurants because she doesn't know what they put in their food...so now when we reciprocate we go to a restaurant (I gave up "trying"...and I won't go into how she's insulted and humiliated me), she takes one bite....and then criticizes the restaurant's food and leaves 99% on the plate. Every....single....time!

(I won't even reciprocate anymore...it's like throwing money in the garbage)

We always wonder what she does when traveling?

I am a cruisie but not a foodie. I live & love to cruise, but only eat because I have to.

I could be very happy, enjoying a meal in "The Great Outdoors Buffet," as I sit & watch the sea.

DH and I do eat out frequently because neither of us want to cook.

Barb

I read stuff like "the food was fine, but we're not foodies" or "There wasn't one meal that we didn't like and we are "foodies".

What are people trying to convey by saying they are a foodie or not a foodie? I like to eat good food. I don't like bad food. Am I a foodie?

Some make it sound like it is bad to be a foodie and some make it sound like it is good to be a foodie. Exactly what makes a person a foodie?

What fine food would a foodie eat if a foodie could eat food? :D But really, I am being serious with the other questions above.

Thanks.

There are people who would spend a couple of hours of precious touring time in Rome, for example, enjoying a leisurely lunch in a typical Italian restaurant. Not us! We grab a snack bar and sightsee. That makes us NOT FOODIES.

Kathy

I don't know if I am a foodie but thanks to the OP I now get what it means :)

I am a 'everything tastes better when someone else is cooking and cleaning it person" :D

I am going on my first cruise this week and can't imagine not being happy with the food simply because I don't need to do anything for it....AWSOME!! LOL

I don't know if I am a foodie but thanks to the OP I now get what it means :)

I am a 'everything tastes better when someone else is cooking and cleaning it person" :D

I am going on my first cruise this week and can't imagine not being happy with the food simply because I don't need to do anything for it....AWSOME!! LOL

I'm with you, Mickey. Enjoy your first cruise! May it be just the first of many.

DH and I prefer Wendy's $1 menu. Thus we can afford to cruise more often. Another proof that we are not foodies, but we are "cruisies.":)

Kathy

I think Chitown summed it up pretty well. I think foodies are adventurous eaters as well. People who like to try the local flavors as well as upscale eateries. I consider my family a "foodie" family and we enjoy the food on NCL. We loved the food on our Regent cruise this summer as well as the down home food we had in Tennessee.

I mean this very seriously....because I know people like this

How do you eat when you travel?

My husband has a friend with a wife who won't eat at my home without criticism, and she won't eat in restaurants because she doesn't know what they put in their food...so now when we reciprocate we go to a restaurant (I gave up "trying"...and I won't go into how she's insulted and humiliated me), she takes one bite....and then criticizes the restaurant's food and leaves 99% on the plate. Every....single....time!

(I won't even reciprocate anymore...it's like throwing money in the garbage)

We always wonder what she does when traveling?

You poor thing. No matter how much your husband likes this "friend," I would not be having dinner with them ever again if I were you. Life's too short.

For me the delights that foodies enjoy are one of life's many pleasures. I seek out and enjoy new eating and dining experiences, from finding the best hot dog stand to the finest of restaurants. I love reading recipes, finding new ones to try and using fresh local ingredients as well as finding new exotic ingredients. BUT other times I don't have the time or the energy and just want some fast and filling to get me on my way. It is not an all out everyday obsession, but part of life's smorgasbord (pun intended) along with history, culture and just plain meeting people (all of which sometimes I am in the mood for and sometimes I am not).

So, I guess I'm a part-time foodie. :rolleyes:

Archived