What exactly are "foodies"

KimberleyFL

I read stuff like "the food was fine, but we're not foodies" or "There wasn't one meal that we didn't like and we are "foodies".

What are people trying to convey by saying they are a foodie or not a foodie? I like to eat good food. I don't like bad food. Am I a foodie?

Some make it sound like it is bad to be a foodie and some make it sound like it is good to be a foodie. Exactly what makes a person a foodie?

What fine food would a foodie eat if a foodie could eat food? :D But really, I am being serious with the other questions above.

Thanks.

I read stuff like "the food was fine, but we're not foodies" or "There wasn't one meal that we didn't like and we are "foodies".

What are people trying to convey by saying they are a foodie or not a foodie? I like to eat good food. I don't like bad food. Am I a foodie?

Some make it sound like it is bad to be a foodie and some make it sound like it is good to be a foodie. Exactly what makes a person a foodie?

What fine food would a foodie eat if a foodie could eat food? :D But really, I am being serious with the other questions above.

Thanks.

Seeing I called myself a foodie on another thread 5 minutes ago:

There's an old adage: a foodie says "I live to eat not eat to live", a non-foodie eats to live. It is merely sustinance or fuel. If they don't eat they die. I have a friend who is not a foodie at all. No food excites him. He doesn't have cravings. Nada.

I come from a family of foodies. We talk about food, think about food, watch cooking channels, read food magazines. We love to peruse the aisles of Whole Foods or Central Market looking for new ingredients or if we are lucky have samples. We love to eat out. We love to cook. My family considers Thansgiving a cooking competition. But in a way that we can all win. I have been known to wake up at 2 a.m. and scribble a recipe idea. A foodie can be some of these things. They just have to have a love of food.

A foodie usually defined as an aficionada of food, usually with a refined or sophisticated palate. It's also called a "special interest" in food, usually on the gourmet end - more cuisine than food. In other words, they are wayyyy more "into" food than the average person aside from people who have food addictions or issues. Foodies love to try new things and are always up for the newest food trend. Now, this is not to say that they eat a large quantity because that is not usually the case. Foodies would rather savour a few bits of something divine than have a huge serving of something they deem to be just okay.

I can't answer your question but like the answers above! Just wanted to say that your dog is beautiful...we have one who could be his twin ;).

Thank You. That picture is a few years old. She will be six in December of this year. She still pretty much looks the same, though. She loves all kind of dog toys, so most of her pictures have her carrying a toy or laying next to one.

I saw a dog at the grocery store today (in a car) that could have been her twin also.

Like any other group, be it Sports (which I also love), music, etc., Foodies like to gather and discuss, and get excited by other's experiences, ideas and energy.

I have to share probably one of my best experiences was being invited to assist on a series of cooking shows at the tv food network in NYC. It was new and in fact I was one of the "official greeters" the day Julia Child joined the TVFN. I have a photo of us and it is one of my most prized posessions.

Thanks.

Easiest way to discribe a foodie: a food snob or someone who think of themselves as being great judges of food. Many are couples that dine out often.

NIta

Non-foodies like food too....we just aren't obsessed.

I'm one...and I have a few pounds to prove it.

My DH and I eat out a few times a week...but we go to "to eat"....not for "the dining experience". After we eat it's either "I liked it" or "I didn't like it."

I don't cook very much...never did. I just make basics at home.

Me, more so that DH....really dislikes "fancy food". Both of us dislike "sauce" on the food. The last time we "had a dining experience" with friends my husband got sick.

We are married almost 25 years...and never once had a conversation about food per se. (Well...he tells me I eat too much...but we don't discuss the quality of the food I'm eating too much of....just the quantity.)

DH has "foodie friends" that like to cruise also...but I won't go with them because I know there will be "dining issues".

I always thought "foodie" and "gourmand" were synonomous:

"A gourmand is a person who takes great pleasure in food. The word has different connotations from the similar word gourmet, which emphasises an individual with a highly refined discerning palate, but in practice the two terms are closely linked, as both imply the enjoyment of good food."

Distinguished from gourmet

Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste who may or may not be professionals in the food industry, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news.[/url] Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food.

The more accepted definition of Gourmand:

An older usage of the word is to describe a person given to excess in the consumption of food and drink, synonymous with"glutton".

PE

Easiest way to discribe a foodie: a food snob or someone who think of themselves as being great judges of food. Many are couples that dine out often.

NIta

Wow...Nita! Thats a bit harsh. "Snob"???

That's not like you!

Non-foodies here. How seriously non-foodies?

A few year ago we were booked on an Oceania trans-Atlantic cruise. Then we found out that is was a 'special' cruise featuring Jacqes Pépin. OMG, a ship full of foodies? No way. Not a good fit for us, so we canceled and rebooked another ship. We just don't do gourmet food. We are very happy with NCL's MDRs and buffets.

I think quality over quantity. I never eat at chain restaurants, because the food doesn't taste good to me (with a few exceptions, of course). I try to cook with "real" ingredients (forget your cream of mushroom soup), fresh herbs, and try new recipies a lot (love cooking magazines). However, when I vacation in places where the restaurants are serving the masses (cruising, WDW), I lower my expectations, and enjoy eating there as well. I also live in the NYC metro area, so I'm able to get great food from restaurants.

Non-foodies here. How seriously non-foodies?

A few year ago we were booked on an Oceania trans-Atlantic cruise. Then we found out that is was a 'special' cruise featuring Jacqes Pépin. OMG, a ship full of foodies? No way. Not a good fit for us, so we canceled and rebooked another ship. We just don't do gourmet food. We are very happy with NCL's MDRs and buffets.

OMG - That's where the line is drawn between foodies and non-foodies. You cancelled......whereas I would have given anything ;) to see Jacques Pepin. I did look longingly at that cruise .... but at the time it was either go on that cruise or make a fractional payment towards my daughter's college tuition. :eek: Don't think she would have understood. :rolleyes:

I am of the live to eat side of the fence. Dining experiences do it. Doesn't have to be fancy - just an experience. Food Chanel and Top Chef are favorites in my house. Paris was heaven to me with the markets. I can and have ripped dishes apart. Weekends are cooking marathons. I talk about past fabulous meals with nostalgia.

Yes - I am crazy....

A foodie usually defined as an aficionada of food, usually with a refined or sophisticated palate. It's also called a "special interest" in food, usually on the gourmet end - more cuisine than food. In other words, they are wayyyy more "into" food than the average person aside from people who have food addictions or issues. Foodies love to try new things and are always up for the newest food trend. Now, this is not to say that they eat a large quantity because that is not usually the case. Foodies would rather savour a few bits of something divine than have a huge serving of something they deem to be just okay.

This is absolutely spot on and I'm glad to see there's a Foodies section here at CC!

BTW: My husband worked for a Hollywood caterer for many years, then moved to Northern CA working as a cook in restaurants and medical centers. He loves to eat, and I'd have to say for him it would be quantity over quality.

I have gotten him into the Food Channel where we love Guy Fieri (one example) who is an adorable mench...I mean Foodie...in his case he loves to cook, to eat, to create and to travel to all kinds of places and try a wide range of foods, both comfort and more gourmet style.

For our upcoming cruise I have haunted, searched, researched and stalked all NCL threads, particularly the menus and specialty restaurants and uploaded pictures of the probable 7 day menu with each and every course as well as the breakfast/lunch and dinner menus of Cagney's, and the full menus for Le Bistro, Trattoria (question this place), Shogun's, Blue Lagoon as well as dozen and dozens of pictures (after viewing hundreds and hundreds).

Poor dear hubby has had to listen to various scenarios of when we'll eat, where we'll eat and what days we'll eat in various venues such as "Okay, I think the second night is lobster (chuckles heartily here) night and day 4 is prime rib night...plus they have the pumpkin crab bisque that night which can't be missed...so those will be out MDR nights.

I'm not sure how long that sushi will stay fresh so let's hit it night one unless Le Bistro's running the 2fer1 special...then go for day 3."

See how totally FOODIE that is? Lunches and menus for various shore excursions have been mulled and tossed about yet I am a person who prefers small and delicous meals, just a few more of them...luckily with Free Stylin' I don't think this should be much problem although as an RN I do wonder if dreaming about BL's cheese cake with blueberry compote or the buffet's pretzel rolls might be seen as some type of character defect or obsession?

Just lately I am so wondering about what time Gatsby's is open for breakfast and lunch (suite and VIP) so I can factor that all into the mix from Day 1, er, Embarkation Day I mean. (Let's not even mention the 2 day pre-cruise in Nola scenario).

And finally, zaftig Foodies, such as myself, tend to wear what I term buffet pants. These work over at least a 20 lb range (plus or minus). Maybe I'm not shoveling in the fries, mac and cheese or chicken wings like DH, but on the other but I've never met a chocolate croissant i didn't love, LOL!

Distinguished from gourmet

Although the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably' date=' foodies differ from gourmets in that gourmets are epicures of refined taste who may or may not be professionals in the food industry, whereas foodies are amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news. Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything [i']about[/i] food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food.

PE

Technically, that is true. I think in reality though, many foodies like to think of themselves as gourmets with refined tastes and superb palates when in reality, they're not.

I was watching an episode of Food Network Star the other day, where they cooked for a group of foodies. Listening to the foodies' comments, they appeared, as Nita put it, as snobs. Like eating something that wasn't pure perfection made it simply inedible!

It's that part of the foodie persona that really irks me. Ok, enjoy your food. Make it a dining experience, savour it, but don't act like you're above the food being served.

Someone mentioned Guy Fieri. He's the perfect example of what a foodie *should* be. He does have refined tastes. He knows his food. He knows what should and should not go together and will literally have his mouth watering as he waits to try the food. But when he tries the food, he describes all the things he loves about it. He describes how well things work together and how enjoyable it is to him. I'm sure there are probably things he could pick out about the dish that weren't so good, but he chooses to focus on enjoying the dish, rather than picking it apart.

I guess that's the difference for me. A foodie should enjoy & savour the dish rather than focus on picking it apart before shoving it away in disgust. In reading many of the reviews on here and their comments about inedible & sub-par food, it appears we have a whole lot of foodies amongst us. I simply don't get it.

Wow...Nita! Thats a bit harsh. "Snob"???

That's not like you!

Oh, I didn't mean it as an insult, more as a joke, tongue in cheek.. There can be good snobs and bad snobs: Bad snobs are elitests and people who are arrogant, good snobs are those who think they know just a little more about something than maybe someone else. Sometimes they don't know they are snobs..

My son is law (one of them) is a scotch snob. He will only drink the best scotch or certainly those considered above average. He is still a super nice guy. The funny part, he doesn't really know the difference. Not long ago we had a little JW Black (the lowest classification he will drink) Hubby mixed it with a little Ushers I think. Guess what, he did just fine and manged to down 3 drinks in a short period of time. Other times he has been here, seen the JW Red and just says he doesn' want anything to drink..

LOL

Why do people think we are snobs?

True foodies don't act like they are better than anyone else. They appreciate the perfect steak as much as the perfect Chicago style hotdog. A fine restaurant as much as the best food push cart. A recipe from an old Gourmet magazine or from an old Mexican woman. Good food, good atmosphere, good friends. A restaurant, a street vender, a warm home. A weird ingredient, an ice cold beer.

As long as they taste good of coarse.

Yes, I'm a foodie!

Thanks.

To me a "foodie" is a person that thinks their tastes are better than yours. Or perhaps people that food is their primary concern when cruising. Or not. But I find the term lacking as you say. Ambiguous.

Archived