Is renting snorkels sanitary?

I'm really torn about what to do about snorkeling gear. I don't really want to buy snorkeling gear and haul it around just for 1 cruise. At the same time renting and putting something in my mouth that has been in a stranger's mouth kind-of grosses me out. Granted, I work in Public Health so I might be a little overly sensative to sanitary conditions, but still? Have any of you rent snokels before? Were they clean??

I'm really torn about what to do about snorkeling gear. I don't really want to buy snorkeling gear and haul it around just for 1 cruise. At the same time renting and putting something in my mouth that has been in a stranger's mouth kind-of grosses me out. Granted, I work in Public Health so I might be a little overly sensative to sanitary conditions, but still? Have any of you rent snokels before? Were they clean??
I allways bring my own.

It may seem strange to put the mouth piece that was in some one elses mouth but the are disinfected in strong bleach, they would not rent the items if it was not santary but, if these things make you feel uncomfortable you should bring your own, they do not take up much room at all and really are inexpensive.

I'm not a germ-o-phobe, but I don't understand why people worry themselves to death over hand sanitizer onboard and the dangers of NoroVirus, and then happily pop in a stranger's snorkeling mouthpiece.

I always bring my own. I'm not a big-time snorkeler, so my snorkel came from (oh, the shame) the clearance rack at CVS . . . but it does the job. If space is a consideration, bring along just the mouthpiece. I don't have a problem with using someone else's mask and fins -- but I'm just not going to put someone else's mouthpiece in my mouth.

I know they SAY they've been sanitized, but every time I've been on any kind of trip, I've never seen any evidence of any cleaning products. I just feel more comfortable KNOWING what I'm using.

They soak them in a bleach solution, so any germs should be deader than doornails.

I've yet to hear of any "outbreaks" of illness because of snorkel equipment.

If you're germaphobic, bring your own. Otherwise, you'll be safe enough.

if you check at walmart, they're only about 20-30 bucks depending on the quality you want...

so im buying my own, since im gonna be snorkelling on 3 separate beaches and excursions on my first cruise...if you add up all the rental costs, might as well buy it

They soak them in a bleach solution, so any germs should be deader than doornails.

I've been on an excursion and reached in the tub for a snorkel, then dumped the snorkel in the same tub when we were through, and then watched them load people on the boat for the next excursion as soon as we got off:eek:. There was definitely NO BLEACH in that tub!

When we snorkel, I carry the individually wrapped alcohol wipes with me and thoroughly wipe down the mouthpiece myself. However, we have decided that as much as we are cruising now, and we usually always snorkel, that we're just going to buy and start bringing our own equipment!

It may seem strange to put the mouth piece that was in some one elses mouth but the are disinfected in strong bleach, they would not rent the items if it was not santary but, if these things make you feel uncomfortable you should bring your own, they do not take up much room at all and really are inexpensive.

If you're germaphobic, bring your own. Otherwise, you'll be safe enough.

But you really don't know what they are disinfected with, and just because you did not hear of any "outbreaks" does not mean that there won't be one on your cruise. Bring your own.

I've been on an excursion and reached in the tub for a snorkel, then dumped the snorkel in the same tub when we were through, and then watched them load people on the boat for the next excursion as soon as we got off:eek:. There was definitely NO BLEACH in that tub!
I've observed similar things.

Was on St. Lucia last yr. by myself. Vendor standing there promoting excursion to Pitons by speed boat(most are by bus on bumpy roads.). Snorkel stop at hotel, price was right so I paid. He took me to get snorkel equipment. He cleaned it off with a rag & detergent. I gasped and he swore it was hygenic. Too late, he had my $$. I now keep snorkel stuff in my cruise bag.

As a scuba diver, we bring out own equipment (BCD, Fins, Mask, Wetsuit) vs rent, thus (as Keith intimates above) we can be sure we have well maintained and well cleaned equipment.

Carnival sells them on board - they were $5 each in April on the Legend. Not the fanciest kind you can find, but they will work - DBF bought one last April when his old one started leaking, and has used it on two more cruises since then.

Nor only do we bring our own mask and snorkel, we bring our own water shoes (aqua socks). While preparing to climb Dunn River Falls, and seeing the returning shoes being thrown in a bucket for new people to put on, just gave me the creeps. I also carry alcohol wipes on shore excursions. I've used them to wipe down helmets for zip lining, seats on busses, and hands before eating.

Archived