Jeans in MDR

aburnett

Are jeans (no holes, we're in our 60's) with button down shirts ok for men in the MDR on regular nights? Can khaki shorts be worn in the MDR for breakfast or lunch? We're leaving soon on a 12 night Scandinavia/ Russia Celebrity Constellation cruise and may need to get more khaki slacks! Help-- and thanks!

I have never had a problem with jeans or nice walking shorts for Breakfast or Lunch, nor dinner time on the non-formal/elegant night on the cruises I've been on. I trust the fashion police will soon post some guideline and the debate will surely begin, but I think with a nice shirt and appropriate footwear you will be good to go except the most snooty line or to the most snooty cruiser :D

The baltics is the next region my wife and I are hoping to do.

Are jeans (no holes, we're in our 60's) with button down shirts ok for men in the MDR on regular nights? Can khaki shorts be worn in the MDR for breakfast or lunch? We're leaving soon on a 12 night Scandinavia/ Russia Celebrity Constellation cruise and may need to get more khaki slacks! Help-- and thanks!

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch....very casual. Jeans will not get you turned away from casual evenings in the dining room. There will be some who say you should NEVER wear jeans, but folks do.....think of them as denim trousers!

If you go to the web site for the cruise line you are sailing on it will have an area that discussed the attire for the dining room.

In general, Khaki shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch.

Jeans are not appropriate for evening even on a casual night.

Keith

The jeans and dress shorts are fine. As to buying more slacks consider using the onboard cleaners. Some ships offer self do laudromats and others offer reasonable cleaning...better than buying what you may not need or packing too much. Pack for a week and you'll have plenty for the 12 days.

The jeans and dress shorts are fine. As to buying more slacks consider using the onboard cleaners. Some ships offer self do laudromats and others offer reasonable cleaning...better than buying what you may not need or packing too much. Pack for a week and you'll have plenty for the 12 days.

Jeans at night on a Celebrity cruise ship in the Main Dining Room are not fine.

Keith

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch....very casual. Jeans will not get you turned away from casual evenings in the dining room. There will be some who say you should NEVER wear jeans, but folks do.....think of them as denim trousers!

love that.. denim trousers! Personally, i think if you're wearing clean, respectable clothing, who cares what kind of material it's made of. The whole point of the "attire" rules are to keep shorts and tanks and other beach wear, out of the evening diningrooms.

Pants are pants. It shouldn't matter if it's made out of cotton, wool, denim or polyester! They all provide the same amnt of coverage.

Folk sdo a lot of things in life. They speed, go through red lights and many more things.

The botom line is that guest on Celebrity are asked not to wear blue jeans (and that includes denims) and out of respect folks should go along with this.

If one doesn't want to go along with this, find another cruise line that doesn't have this requirement.

I wonder what happened to the days that folks were respectful of others.

Keith

Celebrity jas changed its dress code recently and now allows denim pants (jeans) in the dining room on casual evenings. So you nice jeans with a button down shirt, blouse, sweater, top, etc. will be just fine.

I wonder what happened to the days when people didn't judge others? :confused:

Actually I wonder if those days ever existed? :confused:

Passengers on cruise ships are not guests - they are paying customers.

Many people ignore the fashion police. Change happens. :)

Sorry Sargeant Schultz ... dress suggestions/regulations are very clearly posted by the cruise ships. Those who choose to pay their fare and board the ship are agreeing to abide by the regulations concerning dress and behaviour. How difficult is that to understand?

I wonder what happened to the days when people didn't judge others? :confused:

Actually I wonder if those days ever existed? :confused:

Passengers on cruise ships are not guests - they are paying customers.

Many people ignore the fashion police. Change happens. :)

We are very fortunate that the vast majority of folks are actually considerate of others and do their best to follow the guidelines established by each respecitve cruise line rather than taking the attitude of "I paid my criuse fare so I will do as a darn please".

And, I applaud those folks such as the OP who asked questions up front.

The reality is that many people don't do as they wish. Rather it is a small minority on both land and on sea.

The attitude of doing what one please has nothing to do with change. It probably has more to do with ignorance or being selfish.

No one forces any of us to cruise on a cruise line. We can pick the cruise line that best meets our needs.

Sorry Sargeant Schultz ... dress suggestions/regulations are very clearly posted by the cruise ships. Those who choose to pay their fare and board the ship are agreeing to abide by the regulations concerning dress and behaviour. How difficult is that to understand?

Sorry, but customers do not. When they put such nonsense in the cruise contract, it becomes iffy.

But as you point out - jeans are allowed.

There is absolutely NOTHING in even the suggested dress that indicates no jeans.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000-pwXbE1SMB_NDr_rHs30z_o:12hdebdrn?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Society is becoming more casual whether the fashion police like it or not. Change happens - you can accept it or be run over by it. Ask the dinosaurs. ;)

Society is becoming more casual whether the fashion police like it or not. Change happens - you can accept it or be run over by it. Ask the dinosaurs. ;)

Change is great if done for the right reasons.

And none of the posters on this thread has questioned change.

Change has absolutely nothing to do with ignoring rules.

Ignorance and/or selfishness is not change but actually is just plain lack of respect for others.

No one has the authority to tell us we can't.:rolleyes:

Oh, that is not true.

Anyway, as they say there is nothing more to post on this subject.

Thank goodness the vast majority of people that we sail with are respectful of others.

Change is great if done for the right reasons.

And none of the posters on this thread has questioned change.

Change has absolutely nothing to do with ignoring rules.

Ignorance and/or selfishness is not change but actually is just plain lack of respect for others.

Please show us where in the cruise contract or in the suggested (not required) dress code where jeans are not allowed? Or anywhere other than in your imagination?

Ignorance of the rules is no justification for others to make up new ones to suit their selfish fantasies.

Oh, that is not true.

Anyway, as they say there is nothing more to post on this subject.

Thank goodness the vast majority of people that we sail with are respectful of others.

It is true as far as you are concerned.

You can choose to wear blinders but it doesn't change reality.

Please show us where in the cruise contract or in the suggested (not required) dress code where jeans are not allowed? Or anywhere other than in your imagination?

Ignorance of the rules is no justification for others to make up new ones to suit their selfish fantasies.

The point I was addressing was not jeans in the dining room but your point that people pay to cruise so they can do anything they care to.

I do not agree with that and as I said we are very fortunate that the vast majority of passengers who we sail with do not either. Rather, they do make best effort on keeping to the guidelines.

So I guess it is unanimous that jeans are allowed in the MDR. :)

The OP should post the question on the Celebrity Board to verify this. And if it was me I would just call the cruise line on Monday to get clarification. Can we just all say good night now.

The truth is, Celebrity will not turn you away if you are wearing jeans. But based on my experience on 2 X cruises, you will be under dressed compared to your fellow passengers. Whether you're ok with that or not is up to you. The very vast majority of passengers on X wear Dockers type slacks, and some even wear sport coats or suits on non formal nights.

Archived