Royal Credit Card Points Redemption

A friend has called and received a 75,000 point coupon from the RCI credit card company. Just received it and it expires on 2/3/2011.

She want's to use it for a free 7 night companion cruise. I have searched and read that this does not include taxes and fees. Where does it say that on the coupon, or the T&C of the program? If the "free" companion cruise does not include taxes and fees, does it include the port charges?

Can this be used for the Oasis or Allure for non holiday cruises.

What would be the minimum number of days before sailing that would be safe to book the cruise and send in the coupon, and have it properly applied? Would 90 days before sailing be enough? Say 75 days before sailing, for the final payment date, and 15 days before that to get the coupon applied?

Also, they are Diamond Plus (or at least will be in a 2 weeks). If the coupon is for the "minimum available oceanview stateroom", can they book a could they book the Adventure 7 night southern Caribbean on 3/13/2011 as follows?

Book onboard, and receive the $100 OBC, and get either the balcony discount of $225, or get the $150 savings certificates when using the coupon for the cruise.

For example...

3/13/2011 Adventure 7 nt southern Caribbean

Cat I outside is $749 p.p.

Total for two with taxes and fees is $1575.90

Savings certificate is $150 for outside cabin.

On board booking OBC is $100.00 for 6-9 night.

so...

cruise cost....................................$1575.90

savings certificate........................... -150.00

sub total...................................... $1425.90

Credit card companion coupon..............749.00

Net cruise cost for two......................$676.90

Plus they would get an OBC for ..........$100.00

What else might I be missing, or not taking advantage of?

Thanks.

A friend has called and received a 75,000 point coupon from the RCI credit card company. Just received it and it expires on 2/3/2011.

She want's to use it for a free 7 night companion cruise. I have searched and read that this does not include taxes and fees. Where does it say that on the coupon, or the T&C of the program? If the "free" companion cruise does not include taxes and fees, does it include the port charges?

Can this be used for the Oasis or Allure for non holiday cruises.

What would be the minimum number of days before sailing that would be safe to book the cruise and send in the coupon, and have it properly applied? Would 90 days before sailing be enough? Say 75 days before sailing, for the final payment date, and 15 days before that to get the coupon applied?

Also, they are Diamond Plus (or at least will be in a 2 weeks). If the coupon is for the "minimum available oceanview stateroom", can they book a could they book the Adventure 7 night southern Caribbean on 3/13/2011 as follows?

Book onboard, and receive the $100 OBC, and get either the balcony discount of $225, or get the $150 savings certificates when using the coupon for the cruise.

For example...

3/13/2011 Adventure 7 nt southern Caribbean

Cat I outside is $749 p.p.

Total for two with taxes and fees is $1575.90

Savings certificate is $150 for outside cabin.

On board booking OBC is $100.00 for 6-9 night.

so...

savings certificate........................... -150.00

sub total...................................... $1425.90

Net cruise cost for two......................$676.90

Plus they would get an OBC for ..........$100.00

What else might I be missing, or not taking advantage of?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure your port charges and taxes would have to be paid by you. Just the cruise fare is free.

With a cruise that costs only $1575 for 2, it would be best if you took the $750 on board credit instead.

Anything left over, you would get back.

If you used the coupon as a free cruise, it would end up being worth less than $750

Half of the $1575.90 would be $787.95 including tax and port. Roughly $150 -$190 of that is tax and port making your coupon worth only around $600.

Taking the OBC would be best.

I'm pretty sure your port charges and taxes would have to be paid by you. Just the cruise fare is free.

With a cruise that costs only $1575 for 2, it would be best if you took the $750 on board credit instead.

Anything left over, you would get back.

If you used the coupon as a free cruise, it would end up being worth less than $750

Half of the $1575.90 would be $787.95 including tax and port. Roughly $150 -$190 of that is tax and port making your coupon worth only around $600.

Taking the OBC would be best.

"I" understand that the 75,000 points is as good as cash on any cruise.

Aquahound, you think your brain hurts? Try explaining this to someone who "only wants the free companion cruise"! Six hours yesterday, and still no luck.:eek:

The last time we went on the Adventure out of PR, the port charges were $159.00. Taxes and fees are $38.95 for the 3/13 cruise.

Are taxes, fees, and port charges (all three items) definitely not included? And where does it say that?

They want to do the Allure, or Oasis, so getting the commissionable parts of that cruise over the $750 coupon value,, but under the $1500 maximum cap is not that difficult, if they go that route.

Mr. E....call the Rewards Department at 1-888-305-4626 and they will answer all your questions since you have to call them (or TA does) when making your reservation that includes a free companion fare.:)

All the "highlights" of the RCI program Rules are listed on the Certificate.

You can not use upgrades/free companion fares for Christmas/New Year's sailings.

Certificates must be received by RCI prior to final payment.

We used our points to book a free cruise for two on the Mariner and yes, we did have to pay taxes & port fees which came to $150. I don't remember if it said anything on the certificate but when I called to book, the cruise planner was very upfront about it.

It took about 3 weeks from the time I called to redeem my points to the actual application to my reservation but I think you should allow for 6 weeks.

Sherri:)

Mr. E....call the Rewards Department at 1-888-305-4626 and they will answer all your questions since you have to call them (or TA does) when making your reservation that includes a free companion fare.:)

All the "highlights" of the RCI program Rules are listed on the Certificate.

I have a copy of the certificate, and it didn't have any info about the port charges, taxes , and fees.

When I talked to the 4626 number, she showed me where on the website the information was. She said taxes and fees are additional. But the port charges, which are around $159.00, and included in the $749 cruise fare, are included in the "free companion cruise".

She said the on board booking for $100 would apply, but that a savings certificate could not be used.

So, I think this is where I stand...

Cruise portion.........$590.00*

Port charges...........$159.00*

listed cruise cost.....$749.00

taxes and fees........$..38.95**

total p.p.................$787.95

x 2 for two people...$1575.00

* covered under free companion fare

** not covered under companion fare

savings certificate............................... -N/A

sub total...................................... $1575.90

Net cruise cost for two......................$826.90

Plus they would get onboard OBC for ....100.00

Am I getting it right? Would they not be able to use the savings certificate with the free companion certificate?

Please be kind. I don't want to end up with problems like crusinmama06 if something isn't clearly understood by the friend... and I am not a T/A.:D

I do believe you were given the correct information. :)

If you still have questions, call back again.

Thanks. I was pretty sure I got it, but some people confuse "port charges" with "taxes and fees" and I wasn't sure what was covered under the companion cruise.

I needed a little more information before trying to explain the rest of the details to someone else.

Thanks. I was pretty sure I got it, but some people confuse "port charges" with "taxes and fees" and I wasn't sure what was covered under the companion cruise.

I needed a little more information before trying to explain the rest of the details to someone else.

You're welcome. Don't ya just love being the middle man.:D

I would be interested in hearing cases where using RC VISA points for a free cruise netted significantly more value than a penny a point. I always cash out for a penny a point to OBC every opportunity I get, and am skeptical that I could get more value if I "save up" my points. Literally, this is cashing out since this particular OBC is refundable for cash on the cruise.

The problem with accumuating points is that you are at risk of the program changing (you know ... "Exciting changes to our program!" .. that will devalue the points).

If there are examples of getting significantly more dollars when applied to a free cruise, then I may think differently.

We have used our RCL credit card points several times. At 75000, you will get the lower amount of $1500 towards a cruise, or the amount of the lowest available outside cabin. If the lowest cabin, costs $1200 a person, you will get the cruise for one of you for free. (Still have to pay taxes). If the lowest available cabin costs $1600 a person, you will pay $100 plus taxes for that person. If you use the points towards an onboard credit, you will get $750, which is only worthwhile if the cruise is so inexpensive, that the $750 would put you ahead. You get up to 2% of the value of the points in booking a cabin, but only 1% if you take it for a shipboard credit. If the cheapest cabin costs less than $750 a person, you are better off paying for the cabin and taking the shipboard credit - if it is more, use the points for the free companion cruise. Either way, you still have to pay the taxes, so it really is a non-issue. Hope I helped you and did not confuse you.

We have used our RCL credit card points several times. At 75000, you will get the lower amount of $1500 towards a cruise, or the amount of the lowest available outside cabin. If the lowest cabin, costs $1200 a person, you will get the cruise for one of you for free. (Still have to pay taxes). If the lowest available cabin costs $1600 a person, you will pay $100 plus taxes for that person. If you use the points towards an onboard credit, you will get $750, which is only worthwhile if the cruise is so inexpensive, that the $750 would put you ahead. You get up to 2% of the value of the points in booking a cabin, but only 1% if you take it for a shipboard credit. If the cheapest cabin costs less than $750 a person, you are better off paying for the cabin and taking the shipboard credit - if it is more, use the points for the free companion cruise. Either way, you still have to pay the taxes, so it really is a non-issue. Hope I helped you and did not confuse you.

Nice explanation. Thanks. So if you do already typically book a cruise where the lowest available outside cabin is > $750, then you will be better off with the cruise redemption than OBC.

We just used a 25,000 coupon for a free 4 night companion cruise in an oceanview cabin on the Navigator. The least expensive outside cabin fare is $428 so the coupon is worth $428. If I had used it for money off the total cruise fare we would have only gotten $250. It's not quite 2% but pretty close.

It says on the program rules that "Cruise Rewards are valid only for outside staterooms and balcony staterooms only". Does that mean you can't use them for OBC on an inside cabin? Or does it mean if you use them for an upgrade or companion fare its only good for outside or balcony... :confused:

Archived