Cruise lines: time to provide unlimited FREE WIFI

mikran

Would you select a cruiseline with free WIFI over one that doesn't?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you select a cruiseline with free WIFI over one that doesn't?

• Absolutely!
    • Not a chance!
    • I don't care either way.

Why not ask for free drinks? Or offer to pay an extra $50 per person per day for the unlimited privilege? The lines need profit centers -I prefer that they hold down their basic charges for accomodations, passage and food and make it up with a la carte services (as long as they maintain a reasonable standard of quality in the basics).

P.S. I am one of those who cruises to get away -- and am happy to cut down (radically) on my connect time.

I once wrnt to a loud speaking cell phone user and asks them to put it on speaker so I could hear both sides of the conversation.

Back in the early day of cell phones, almost everyone on a Long Island Rail Road commuter train car helped in supplying the 'other' side of the conversation. [Our collective script presumably diverged from reality into obscenity, a tax audit, medical discussions]. Usually the [loud, salesman type] would endure this for only a minute of two.

[and yes, if the conversation was not simply boasting about their day at work, we would collectively not engage in extreme measures]

I don't think cruise ships would get more business as people book them for the cruising experience and extras like free wifi would probably not sway them.

It is similar for hotels on land, the cheaper hotels all seem to have free wireless as they must know people in that market consider the cost of wireless when choosing a hotel. The high end hotels have never had free wireless in my experience, probably since someone booking a luxury hotel doesn't care about a few more dollars for internet.

We spent this past weekend in one of New York City's priciest hotels and our fabulous room had free WiFi.

I am responsible for a family member who is in a nursing home. When we travel, I still have to be able to be contacted re: their condition/care or possible passing.

I am the Power of Attorney for this person's medical care. E-mail is the way they contact me when we are cruising.

Some people can 'get away from it all' and some of us need to be 'connected'.

Cruise lines don't set the price. Like many things, the Internet access is outsourced.

Since some seem to already complain about speed, free Internet would render the service totally useless. Better to have some control over it.

Boarding passes can be printed at the airport.

Some ports in Europe do have free internet - one that comes to mind is Amsterdam, but you still need to know the password. If the crew likes you, they might share.

In port, I have a USB Cellular Modem for my laptop that works fine, if I can obtain a decent price data SIM card. Italy is one country where that works.

Back in the early day of cell phones, almost everyone on a Long Island Rail Road commuter train car helped in supplying the 'other' side of the conversation. [Our collective script presumably diverged from reality into obscenity, a tax audit, medical discussions]. Usually the [loud, salesman type] would endure this for only a minute of two.

[and yes, if the conversation was not simply boasting about their day at work, we would collectively not engage in extreme measures]

Funny Funny Funny Wish I'd been there!

There is limited bandwidth on a moving ship so they are using internet charges to ration the bandwidth. That is not to forget the revenue stream which I imagine the cruise line enjoys. I don't know if the internet service is contracted like so many services on the ship or owned by the cruise line. Bottom line is to not expect any significant changes in the foreseeable future.

Because of the business traveler, many hotels offer free internet connections in order to stay competitive. It used to be a good revenue enhancer but the less expensive business hotels started offering it free and the more expensive have had to follow suit or loose the much wanted business traveler.

The use of cell phones in crowded areas such as airport bars, rental car shuttles, trains, etc., is truely obnoxious at best. You get some fool shouting into their phone such that everyone withing 20 feet can hear every word. I have a road warrior friend who bought a cell phone jammer that will disrupt all cell phone calls in the area and uses it on obnoxious fellow travelers. (Note: the use of cell phone jamming or recording devices in the US is against FCC rules and can result in fines and/or jail terms). He showed it to me once and it works.

Very interesting, colorful, and albeit sometimes off-topic responses folks -thanks! A few of you got where I was going with this, but clearly I see this innocent little request has hit some nerves.

We're just talking about free wifi not all-inclusive style bar (gasp!) or - dare I say it? - free soda fountain drinks??! LOL! One responder did suggest keeping base rates down (and that's a whole other discussion) with a la carte services, and I'm all for that with things like spa and excursions, but unless we as the clients demand better basic services from the cruise lines, well we simply won't get it now will we?

The economics are there - ask Starbucks, McD's, Virgin, and a slew of hotels (both economically and luxury priced) as well as other businesses what it does for their bottom lines. The capacity is also there - don't fool yourselves (remember that space station floating around way up there?) - but my suggestion was largely focused on when ships are in port. I wonder which cruise line will get it first and claim that coveted point of difference in such a crowded marketplace?

Gee, I wonder if the radical concept of offering unlimited 'free' food onboard evoked this kind of banter?...

Happy sailings! :-)

There are too many variables to make this poll meaningful. I doubt many people will call a TA and book on a cruise with free wifi without considering anything else. Sure if everything else was the same I would take the free wifi. But everything else is never equal. Wifi would be well down my list.

While I can understand both sides of the issue I doubt there is that much of a need for unlimited WiFi.

The OP cited McDonalds and Starbucks as comparisons but look how many restuarants/coffee houses there are compared to cruise lines. Without the competition there is no need to offer free WiFi.

In addition look how much additional revenue a cruise line would 'give up' by offering this...once you lose revenue in one area you need to recoup that from either basic ticket prices or raising drink prices, etc.,

I can see wanting to step away from connectivity on your vacation but I found the wireless on our med cruise a welcomething. I was not working, but I enjoyed keeping in touch with family and friends occasionally during the trip. If you don't want to use it you don't have to, but not sure why you don't want it available for others,

I never said to get rid of the access to the internet, just not provide it free of charge. If you want to or need to stay in touch while away, take into consideration what that charge will be and include it in your vacation cost.

Where I have the issue is that if it is free more people will have the option to be on it all day long. My DH is a workaholic and if this was an option I know he would be checking his email many times a day. With the way it is he knows he can get to it if it is a necessity but is not willing to fork over the big dollars to stay in constant contact.

As for those of you who say you use it for emergency contact from back at home, how often do you check it? Isn't it easier to give those back at home a phone number to call in case of emergency?

One of the reasons I like cruises is that we can 'get away' from the daily grind and spend some time together as a family.

As for those of you who say you use it for emergency contact from back at home, how often do you check it? Isn't it easier to give those back at home a phone number to call in case of emergency?

Can someone please explain this emergency things to me? I know there are certain situations (...leaving kids home) but I've been of the mindset that since I'll be at sea or out of the country if Aunt Emma has a heart attack or cousin Billy gets hit by a car I don't NEED to know until I get back to shore. Bad information only causes worry and isn't the opposite of a vacation?

To the OP - 100 minutes should be plenty if you leave out the picture downloads. If you're doing business - then I understand where you're coming from. For people on vacation....don't get it.

A phone call to the ship, and a message left on the ship's voice mail will reach most people faster than an email. When you enter your cabin you see the flashing light. Most people don't check email every time they return to the cabin.

If you must stay in touch, there is satellite internet access available but it is expensive. You can get an email on your cell phone. Its 5 cents to receive and 50 cents to send per email...even on a ship.

Most people on a vacation need to recharge. That is why its called a vacation. If you are in touch with your office all the time you aren't on vacation anyway.

One of the benefits of going away is getting away and now you want to do away with that too. I hate that commercial that shows the person at the beach receiving an email and working. Americans already work more than almost any industrialized country in the world and you want to take even that vacation time away from them?

I remember the time when you left office and when you were in the car you would be out of touch. In my view of the world if your office has to be in touch with you every minute, you are doing something wrong anyway.

To the person who has poa...isn't there any other person/relative who you can trust while your are away? If not that in MY OPINION....is sad commentary on your family and friends....

Why not ask for free drinks? Or offer to pay an extra $50 per person per day for the unlimited privilege? The lines need profit centers -I prefer that they hold down their basic charges for accommodations, passage and food and make it up with a la carte services (as long as they maintain a reasonable standard of quality in the basics).

P.S. I am one of those who cruises to get away -- and am happy to cut down (radically) on my connect time.

Totally correct. There is no such thing as "Free". If everyone gets free unlimited WIFI the lines will just increase the base price of the cruise. Keep cruising affordable and charge for the extras people want.

Can someone please explain this emergency things to me? I know there are certain situations (...leaving kids home) but I've been of the mindset that since I'll be at sea or out of the country if Aunt Emma has a heart attack or cousin Billy gets hit by a car I don't NEED to know until I get back to shore. Bad information only causes worry and isn't the opposite of a vacation?

To the OP - 100 minutes should be plenty if you leave out the picture downloads. If you're doing business - then I understand where you're coming from. For people on vacation....don't get it.

OK, how was my post hijacking???? People say they want unlimited free wifi to stay in touch in case of emergency. I asked how wifi would help as I would say a phone call would be better in a true emergency than an email?

After thinking about it, I think I'd just prefer faster wifi. Last time I did airline check-in for the 4 of us it cost all of the "free" minutes we (2 couples) had plus 4 bucks. It was annoying too. I'd be more inclined to buy a pkg if I knew I wouldn't have to wait 5 minutes for a page to load.........

We spent this past weekend in one of New York City's priciest hotels and our fabulous room had free WiFi.

Great, I have not seen this very often unless it was a perk of my frequent traveler program. For example with Hilton hotels I usually see free internet at their lower cost family of hotels (Hilton garden, etc) while their higher end hotels (Hilton brand, Waldorf, etc) do not include it. Since I am usually at gold or diamond on Hilton I frequently have free internet as one of the benefits but it seems to be an add-on for most room rates.

Why would free WIFI be a determining factor when booking a cruise, when it is all abou the ITINERARY! That's where my priorities lie. I leave my laptop at home where it belongs (IMO).

I agree. Anyone who is choosing a cruise solely because it offers free WiFim should just stay home and work themselves to death

I'll try to explain how emergencies work. Let's say you go on a 10 day cruise and on day 2, your Dad, LuckySr has some bad luck and is run over by someone speeding on their way to work and is in the hospital in critical condition and expected to only last a few more days. Some people would interupt their vacation and fly to be at their dying Father's bedside rather than finishing their vacation.

Back on topic: I agree with those who say there are better ways to reach you in case of an emergency than email. Also if it was unlimited it would slow everything down too much due to the increased usage. I believe the pricing is set to maximize profitability while trying to keep it from being sooooooooooo slow no one bothers with it. It's a balancing act.

I'll try to explain how emergencies work. Let's say you go on a 10 day cruise and on day 2, your Dad, LuckySr has some bad luck and is run over by someone speeding on their way to work and is in the hospital in critical condition and expected to only last a few more days. Some people would interupt their vacation and fly to be at their dying Father's bedside rather than finishing their vacation.

Back on topic: I agree with those who say there are better ways to reach you in case of an emergency than email. Also if it was unlimited it would slow everything down too much due to the increased usage. I believe the pricing is set to maximize profitability while trying to keep it from being sooooooooooo slow no one bothers with it. It's a balancing act.

Wouldn't a phone call get to you quicker in an emergency? How often do you check email?

Wouldn't a phone call get to you quicker in an emergency? How often do you check email?

I agree,and for those who want to check their e-mail, there are internet cafes at most ports that you can pay a fee to use their computers or your own if you wish. On most cruises you will be in port at least twice as many days as you are at sea. Bill

Archived