In Suite Dining

daveoc

We are shortly off on our first Seabourn cruise, on Sojourn.

I understand that it is possible to have the evening meal served in your suite course by course. I have some questions:

Firstly, must you choose from the menu being served in the restaurant on your chosen evening, or are you able (as long as you give advance notice) to make special requests for any of the courses.

Secondly, do they bring each course without you having to phone down for it.

Finally, who do you arrange this with, room service or the main restaurant.

Thank You

Since the times we ordered the meal we ordered from the menu I will pass on the first question.

Yes, we did have the meal course by course. When we ordered the meal we mentioned that we wanted the meal course by course and then when the waiter came to set things up and with the first course we talked about when to bring the second course and then so forth from there. They are quite experenced with this so they already have a good idea as to intervals.

You call the room service number.

It's very nice to do this at least once per cruise. Some do it more often.

Keith

We are shortly off on our first Seabourn cruise, on Sojourn.

. . . .

Firstly, must you choose from the menu being served in the restaurant on your chosen evening, or are you able (as long as you give advance notice) to make special requests for any of the courses.

. . . .Thank You

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise with Seabourn. I will predict that this will be the first of many cruises to come with Seabourn.

To answer your first question, you may order (1) from the menu in your Suite (it's a limited section); (2) from the daily menu in the Dining Room; or (3) you are able to give advance notice (I think it is 48 hours' notice -- anyone?) for special requests. HTH

Lisa :)

I am yet to try the "course by course" dining in our suite. I always feel "guilty" about making the poor waiter climb up and down those stairs so many times....so always end up just ordering everything at once from the room service menu....maybe next time....

Alexandra Cruiser,

Welcome to Seabourn! Yes, you can get a full or partial breakfast served in your suite. When you return to your suite after dinner, your stewardess will set out the oblong card to order room service breakfast next to the Herald (daily program of events) on your bed. Just tick off what you want and when you want it served and hang it on the outside door knob (lever) before retiring. Then at the appointed hour the next morning, Voilà! Breakfast will be served!

just a warning about the room service breakfast menu....if you want 2 eggs....dont write the number "2" in....or you will get 4 eggs...that is "2 serves of 2 eggs".....just write 1 and you will get 2!! Clear as mud eh? We somehow managed to order double of everything the first time.....looked like we were about to have a party in our suite or were just very gready passengers! :confused:

GrannyLorr, You have me laughing out loud, not only with visions of your breakfast but with memories of our first Crystal cruise breakfast. We missed the notations re: ordering and just went forward checking what each of us wanted for juice, fruit, pancakes, eggs,etc. The stewardess staggered through our cabin to set this up on our balcony as we sat wide eyed....then she left for the second tray which contained the rest of the items!! She had brought two of each and every chek off. Just the visual brings tears of laughter to my eyes!

I too received a double en suite dinner (ordered for all at once, too). I ordered from the dinner menu and then at the end, asked for TWO iced teas since I was quite thirsty. The Room Service team thought that I meant two for everything and brought doubles. They too, staggered in. When I asked them, they thought I might be entertaining a 'gentleman friend' and didn't want to make a big deal of it. I kept the second twice baked goat cheese souffle and they finished off the rest of the 'extras' in the little pantry. They promised to look for a gentleman friend for me. Seabourn is wonderful!

We only did this once ordering coffee. My wife likes a lot of coffee to begin with and because of how we filled out the order we could have poured coffee for 10 or more people. I don't think we would have slept for a week if we drank it all.

Keith

We only did this once ordering coffee. My wife likes a lot of coffee to begin with and because of how we filled out the order we could have poured coffee for 10 or more people. I don't think we would have slept for a week if we drank it all.

Keith

I had a similar situation. I always request early moning coffee and orange juice, which I like to linger over before bathing and then going to a full breakfast in the dining room. On my crossing last year, apparently room service assumed it was for two people (like most of the world) and brought enough for an army. I wound up floating up to breakfast every day.

Alexandra Cruiser,

Welcome to Seabourn! Yes, you can get a full or partial breakfast served in your suite. When you return to your suite after dinner, your stewardess will set out the oblong card to order room service breakfast next to the Herald (daily program of events) on your bed. Just tick off what you want and when you want it served and hang it on the outside door knob (lever) before retiring. Then at the appointed hour the next morning, Voilà! Breakfast will be served!

My goodness. I think you just sold me on Seabourn. :)

We have cruised for years trying to deal with our out of sync biorhythms (husband leaps up full of vim & vigor whilst I linger in a state between life & death), but on Seabourn we discovered room service!

Breakfast arrived magically at a time designed to get us off on tour, & we were all smiles as we downed a delicious spread, & then trundled off on our tours with great good humor!

Seabourn rules as far as room service is concerned.

for each of us,,,,agree,,,nice to relax on balcony with coffee,etc...then get dressed and start the day,,but most cruiselines only offer continental,,so nice to have a choice...went on Oceania,Seadream,etc...and that was limited room service menu...

Going on Regent in Nove,,,,SB in May ....rough life,right??hahaha,,good to be semi retired.....;)

We did the Pride Singapore-Shanghai July 17th 2010, and to clarify one thiing about the menus ....

In addition to the room service menu found in your suite, each evening (and in the material provided when you first arrive in your suite that first day), you will find the menu for the evening meal.

My son ( 12 ) is a very picky eater, and the Pride staff did every thing possible to insure he was happy.. And found the New York Strip Sirloin (available every dinner) very satisfying, to where he loudly exclaimed his delight by saying for all to here it was the best steak he ever had. (as if I can't cook a great steak--I'm still waiting for his apology-) -)

We brought a stack of movies (DVD's to keep him entertained)... and his call to room service revealed, (although not on the room service menu) that the traditional Popcorn treat would be very quickly brought to him ........

I'm still trying to get my wife to offer to open my Marmalade.. Think she said something like it will be a cold day in .. Well one can try..

Sure miss the service at home. LOL

We did the Pride Singapore-Shanghai July 17th 2010, and to clarify one thiing about the menus ....

In addition to the room service menu found in your suite, each evening (and in the material provided when you first arrive in your suite that first day), you will find the menu for the evening meal.

My son ( 12 ) is a very picky eater, and the Pride staff did every thing possible to insure he was happy.. And found the New York Strip Sirloin (available every dinner) very satisfying, to where he loudly exclaimed his delight by saying for all to here it was the best steak he ever had. (as if I can't cook a great steak--I'm still waiting for his apology-) -)

We brought a stack of movies (DVD's to keep him entertained)... and his call to room service revealed, (although not on the room service menu) that the traditional Popcorn treat would be very quickly brought to him ........

I'm still trying to get my wife to offer to open my Marmalade.. Think she said something like it will be a cold day in .. Well one can try..

sounds wonderful..glad that you all had such a good time..now..if SB...could only train us wives to cater to you ...hmmm..lets just let that one go. :eek:

Dear Rod,

You make me laugh. I had to read your comments to my husband about your son and the steak and your wife's comments. He has the same sense of humour. We have 16 and 17yo boys for him to practice his humour on.

The insuite breakfast sounds like a sensible idea on the days when there is an early start for excursions. Help to get us out on time.

Regards, Julie

To answer your first question, you may order (1) from the menu in your Suite (it's a limited section); (2) from the daily menu in the Dining Room; or (3) you are able to give advance notice (I think it is 48 hours' notice -- anyone?) for special requests. HTH

Lisa :)

This is absolutely correct. Also, you are not able to order room service from the Colonnade or Restaurant 2 menus. However, between the regular in-suite dining and the Restaurant menus, plus special requests, you should have plenty of delicious food to choose from.

Once, they made an exception for me by bringing the Colonnade dessert to my suite, so it doesn't hurt to ask. On the other hand, a request to have a Colonnade starter served in the Restaurant was turned down. The Colonnade also does not seem to entertain special requests, while the Restaurant does with pleasure.

(The above is based on my fabulous first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey last week. I'll try to write a trip report or review soon.)

The reason special requests are difficult in the colonnade is that they are working in a much smaller galley, the dinners are themed and geared toward serving just what is on offer. You choose the Colonnade on any given evening because you are interested in the meal they are preparing (and to eat outdoors in the appropriate climates, of course.)

A first-timers question- is the Colonnade buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Actually I'm not even sure where I got that idea, so may be totally off base with the question.

Peaches - the Colonnade is part buffet part waiter order for breakfast and lunch, totally waiter order for dinner.

It is greatly superior to the Veranda on the little ships, in comfort and amount of buffet area. The waiter ordered eggs benedict, omelettes etc. at breakfast are excellent - at least they were on the Sojourn.

Archived